: New to the V, New to the forum...

daytripper
09-19-05, 07:04 PM
I picked up my redline '05 a week ago today from Chesrown. I think this is the last of their "new" '05 demos. I took a plane, a train, and an automobile, and picked the car up there and drove it back to southeastern PA, which ended up being about the same price as shipping, but loads more fun.

Just a couple of minor negatives. They handed me the car on empty, when they told me it'd be gassed up and ready when we made arrangements. Left a sour taste in my mouth to drive away with a new car (something of a pricey one at that), to start a 400 mile get aquainted journey -- right to the nearest gas station. Then I didn't realize until I got home that the front plate frame had been mounted on the car -- pics I looked at (avatar) showed it sitting in the back seat. In all fairness though, I didn't ask to keep it off. Maybe it was already there. Just assumed they wouldn't install it since PA doesn't use fronts. Are unsightly plugs or whole bumper paint work the only options at this point?

On to the car itself, which is pretty cool. Coming off a 540i sport, the biggest thing I notice is the roughness around the edges. I love the V, but these two are so different I wouldn't even call them comparable. I'm still breaking the V in, so I didn't push it, but it feels like you can feel the speed more than the BMW. I used to be able to cruise at 110 on an empty highway and not trigger the "speed limit is xx" warning from my mother-in-law in the back seat in that car. I doubt that's going to fly in the V. I'll get back to you on that one.

Anyway, a few little things I could use help on:
- Anyone have used wheel w/stock runflat they'd sell. I've had quite a few tire failures in Philly (at odd times, bad places and bad weather). and I'd really feel better with a spare (and jack).
- I haven't been able to make DVD movies play while moving. I just get the diagnostic screen when following the FAQ instructions. I've tried quick releasing the buttons, holding one before pressing the other, and hitting them again after getting in that menu. I guess I lack the "touch". Anyone local want to show me the trick?
- Considering exhaust choices, checked out the FAQ. Probably go with a Magnaflow, unless someone wants to scare me out of it. I'm looking to keep the droning to a minimum, and don't want it too loud (for those times my wife drives it), but I think the LS6 deserves to sound better than it does stock.
- Considering a StealthV tune and a short shifter, if anyone's got any suggestions on options, I'll take em. Probably won't do more than exhaust and maybe intake or K&N drop in.

Thanks.
Looking forward to time . Its been a big help already.
Brian

RobzBLKV
09-19-05, 07:09 PM
Congrats and welcome!

Sucks about the license plate bracket. You can plug the wholes and have them painted, but nothing will make it as if the bracket was never installed.

The first thing you will probably notice when comparing the 540 to the V after you get past break in is how much faster the V gets to that 110 mark . . .

I know some other people were having trouble with the DVDs, but I don't remember what the resolution was. A search will probably find the answer.

daytripper
09-19-05, 07:16 PM
The 540 isn't a racer, but it got great all around feel and great high speed manners, even in the rain. And very smooth and quiet. I didn't buy the V for those traits (although I hold out hop for high speed manners, after some more break in time).

On the matter of the front bumper plate frame holes, is the bumper a "skin" that I could purchase a spare and have painted installed, or is it a full bumper assembly? Anyone know what that'd run? Part number?

Brian

heavymetals
09-19-05, 07:52 PM
Welcome.

Check the FAQ's

I know there is one for the DVD.

dqw1
09-19-05, 07:55 PM
Sorry, no answers to your questions bc my V is still stock for now, but welcome to the forum!:cool2:
Can't believe you didn't get a full tank of gas to start with. I thought that was standard.:hmm:
Nice Redline! Mod away...

Luna.
09-19-05, 08:03 PM
The DVD solution is really easy. The FAQ on it tells you exactly how to do it and it works (at least for me). I do it so automatically, I'm not sure, but I think it's hold down the 3rd button from the bottom, then hit the bottom button, new screen pops up, repeat same steps, bingo...Check the FAQ though.

Is Magnaflow exhaust GM approved like Corsa is?

crowan
09-19-05, 08:24 PM
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the purchase! Your list of mods is really all that is needed to complete making the V a blast to drive. Especially the exhaust, which greatly enhances the seat of the pants feel of the car. I think you'll find the forum pretty evenly split between Corsa, B&B, and Magnaflow. You really can't go wrong with any of the three.

Try http://www.cadillacfaq.com/ and you will find the answers to virtually every question that you will ever have. It is a terrific site.

I am in the process of deciding whether or not to sell a stock wheel and tire. (I just bought 4 snow tires on Mille Miglia rims so I may use one of those as a spare. I'll let you know if I decide to ditch the extra stock wheel.

CR

heavymetals
09-19-05, 08:38 PM
You know your DOOMED when you are considering a maggie!:histeric: :thumbsup:

Wait till you get bitten by the "mod" bug.

The "V" is worse then model airplanes.

ctsvett
09-19-05, 08:45 PM
If the DVD trick didnt work (you get the diag screen) press the button combo again...

let me know if you still have problems.

Reed

daytripper
09-19-05, 08:46 PM
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

I did check the FAQ on exhausts, and it sounds like there are lots of folks who like the B&B and Corsa systems. I liked the sound clips of the Magnaflow I heard on their site, but it'd be cool to hear some in person.

I test drove a used '05 in Wilmington, DE that had to have had an exhaust on it, but I didn't get a chance to peek underneath to check it out. Caddy dealer swore it was stock (car belonged to a dealer employee), but it was way louder than the car I ended up buying. Probably was a Corsa system. Funny thing about that car was the avg mpg was reading 7.2 mpg. Saleslady told me the car had been on their other lot, but she doubted any employees had been joyriding, LOL.:histeric:

On playing movies on the DVD, I read the FAQ and all the posts I could on the subject, and still haven't figured it. I realize you press the 3rd button down, and then tap the right seek button while holding (after the DVD is playing). I get sent to the diagnostic screen, and then hitting them again sends me back to the movie, at which point I still get locked out if I release the brakes. I guess I'm still missing something, or need more practice (or they changed something).

Brian

daytripper
09-19-05, 08:57 PM
Sorry, no answers to your questions bc my V is still stock for now, but welcome to the forum!:cool2:
Can't believe you didn't get a full tank of gas to start with. I thought that was standard.:hmm:
Nice Redline! Mod away...

Yeah, on the gas thing, its a small price to pay for a good deal, but just not the kind of vibe you look to start out with. I can't remember exactly how empty it was, but my first fillup (after one block of ownership) was over $50 at $3 and small change per gallon. I don't know yet how many gallons the tank holds, 16+ gallons can't leave too much in there.

Since my call technically wasn't new, Caddy supposedly doesn't allot money to fillup. Dealer would have to eat that cost, or pass along. I'd have paid an extra hundred not to have the front plate mount installed...

Brian

Luna.
09-19-05, 09:29 PM
On playing movies on the DVD, I read the FAQ and all the posts I could on the subject, and still haven't figured it. I realize you press the 3rd button down, and then tap the right seek button while holding (after the DVD is playing). I get sent to the diagnostic screen, and then hitting them again sends me back to the movie, at which point I still get locked out if I release the brakes. I guess I'm still missing something, or need more practice (or they changed something).

Brian

I suppose I'm a fool for not being able to recall this from memory (as I have done it enough times to know...), but I don't think it's the "seek" button--you are going too far down. It's like the 3rd and the 5th button. When I go home tonight, I will do it and post the correct buttons

crowan
09-19-05, 09:30 PM
Daytripper:

Speaking of fuel, when the V gets below 1/4 tank, do yourself a favor and fill it then because if you wait until the low fuel light comes on, you will run out of gas VERY shortly thereafter. Several of us have learned that the hard way.

CR

daytripper
09-19-05, 10:22 PM
I suppose I'm a fool for not being able to recall this from memory (as I have done it enough times to know...), but I don't think it's the "seek" button--you are going too far down. It's like the 3rd and the 5th button. When I go home tonight, I will do it and post the correct buttons

The FAQ says its the 2nd button from the bottom (on the right of the nav screen) and the forward seek button. Let me know if you've found another way to play.

rand49er
09-19-05, 10:42 PM
Redline ... WOW, what a gorgeous color! :welcome: aboard. Re the fuel gauge, my observation is that it is entirely non-linear ... I usually fill-up very soon after it passes below half tank. After that, it seems to fall like a rock. Re shifter, that was something I noticed that needed remedied very early on; I installed a B&M. I highly recommend it. I'm sure the UUC shifter is every bit an improvement over the OEM shifter.

Let me think, Bucks County ... hm-m-m ... if you get much snow, you may want to consider another set of tires. The F1s are just plain useless in snow. I just ordered a set of Avon Tech 550 A/S from tirerack ... there's about a 7 week leadtime on them right now. Do a search re a jack and spare ... dreamin' and others have posted some very helpful info on that issue.

Luna.
09-19-05, 11:35 PM
The FAQ says its the 2nd button from the bottom (on the right of the nav screen) and the forward seek button. Let me know if you've found another way to play.

Apologies--I misspoke earlier. That is exactly how I do it as well.

Click and hold the 2nd button from the bottom (in the group of 6 buttons to the right of the nav system) and forward click the seek button once. A "GPS cold start" screen (that's what I refer to it as) pops up. Perform the exact same button combination and the DVD pops back on, but now it won't click off when you release the emergency brake.

Try again and see if that works

Slywun
09-19-05, 11:50 PM
Welcome! Love the color. I got mine (Redline) from Chesrown too, it didn't have a full tank either but didn't think it was a big deal; they picked me up at the airport, and saved me thousands from new.

dqw1
09-20-05, 10:29 AM
guess it's up to the dealer to give you full tank. I picked up and 04 V I traded for my CTS and my salesman was topping off the tank when i came to pick it up. Funny, we he drove into the parking lot from the gas station, it was the only time i seen a V in motion.:lildevil:

daytripper
09-20-05, 01:14 PM
Welcome! Love the color. I got mine (Redline) from Chesrown too, it didn't have a full tank either but didn't think it was a big deal; they picked me up at the airport, and saved me thousands from new.

I hope I didn't come off as a whiner about the fuel. I did praise both Chesrown's staff and the deal I got in my opening post. I just raised the fuel thing because I thought it was a petty way to make money, I didn't like stopping to fill up one block from purchasing, and because I was promised a full tank by Dave one day before going to pick it up. Car sticker shows it had 125 miles when they listed it and 175 when sold, so it was driven a bit before sale, for whatever that's worth. Like I said, small issue for a great car and a good bunch of guys.

I actually tried to buy your car from Chesrown (I called them the Thursday before you flew in from Jacksonville to pick it up, and they still listed it for sale -- Aug 25 if my memory serves...). Later when I called back, they said a guy from Jacksonville flew up to buy it. As I understand it, the one I purchased was to ship to a guy in Alaska, but the buyer backed out. Its all good.

Anyway, I'd definitely recommend the Chesrown guys for purchase. They're straight shooters and offer a good deal, all nitpicks aside.

Brian

Slywun
09-27-05, 11:07 PM
Yeah, that was me alright. I'm glad you were able to get the other one.

naiculnila
09-28-05, 10:50 AM
DAYTRIPPER: congrats on the REDLINE.....i got one myself as well
Im in PHILLY as well and have the Magnaflow on if you want to hear it!

Good luck with the car man!

Ak Jim
09-28-05, 02:21 PM
Great car, great color combo! I'm the guy from Alaska. It seems like the company I work for was telling the employees that things were going ok. This was a effort on their part to keep the employees moral up until the end of the summer travel season. The bottom line is the company is now bankrupt and there are going to be massive layoffs including me. I'm glad Chesrown sold the car so quick. I do feel very bad about backing out of the deal, but I didn't have a choice.