: Extended Warranty Question...

-uplink-
09-19-05, 03:47 PM
Did anyone purchase an extended warranty on their car? Does GM offer a 6yr/100k? How much does the maximum warranty cost?

Also, those of you with Corsas and B&M shifters, did you have it specifically noted on your policy that those items don't void the warranty? Trying to decide if I should buy them before delivery and bring them to the dealer to install during prep or just do it myself afterwards. Mechanically I would have no problems installing them but it would be nice to not have a service manager argue with me when I go in for work.

Thanks.
-Mike

Luna.
09-19-05, 03:52 PM
"Certified" used CTS-Vs come standard with a 6yr/100k warranty. Yes, that is superior to the "new" warranty offered by GM. The salesman represented to me that it was in an effort to promote used car sales.

I would seriously go to war if a dealership was going to deny warranty over something as mundane (but a huge improvement) as a shifter or even an exhaust, but I suppose it depends on the dealership.

My thoughts are to just go straight to the service manager, talk to him/her directly, and get his/her honest thoughts.

Kadonny
09-19-05, 03:54 PM
Corsa is GM approved and thus no warranty issues.

The shifter is a different story, but I doubt there is much that would go wrong with the car that the dealer could blame the shifter.

-uplink-
09-19-05, 04:28 PM
Thanks guys. I know that whole extended warranty bit is a money scam. They can give you 6/100 (from date first built) on a used car but not if its brand new. :hmm:

I found an extended GMPP (General Motors Protection Plan) that you can purchase. Won't cover wearables like pads/rotors/clutch put will do body/drivetrain. Couldn't find any pricing info on it though.

Wasn't sure about the upgrades because I've heard some horror stories from people about other brands (Hyundai, Dodge, etc.) where if any change was made to the car down to new wheels, the service centers gave them crap about fixing it. Probably just to get out of doing the work for free since a good percentage of people wouldn't argue the point.

Thanks again. Now its on to negotiating the price because the local dealers are quoting over MSRP. Paul Conte told me $53k for an '06 even when I said GM's web site was $51,400. They also told me they aren't doing GM Smart Buy. :eek:
-Mike

ace996
09-19-05, 08:29 PM
Uplink,
give a visit to Caddy of Lynbrook. They are very agressive on moving cars and if you put in the time and beat them down a little, you should be close to invoice. Don't waste time with anyone but Ken. Good luck.
-ace996
perhaps I'll see you on Oct1...you know where...

1badcady
09-19-05, 08:55 PM
Ace your on the money bought mine there, returned for the cluctch tsb,
& they installed the ucc shifter no problem, ask for bill the service manager, He"s
ok.took it back after stealth tune with tpis headers & cai not a word!
good luck
1badcady

ace996
09-19-05, 09:38 PM
1badcady,
I saw your car in the service bay when I brought mine in for the diff. There were 3 Vs there that day. Your clutch, my diff, and another's diff...
Yeah, I've dealt with Bill the whole time, and can say that I like him. My experiences have not been full of joy, though. The District Service Manager is not on my favorite list...
I hope to see you around,
ace996 (Tom)

1badcady
09-19-05, 09:45 PM
ace
One of the tec's told me about you. Are you close by I'm right behind
the de/aler. what mods do you have?
1badcady (also tom)

1badcady
09-19-05, 09:51 PM
ace
I asuume you have or had a 996, I had a 930 with 630 hp to the wheels
with only 15 lb of boost, a monster.
tom

ace996
09-19-05, 11:21 PM
Tom,
Still own a 996...red. It weighs just over 400lbs and dyno'd at 121owhp...that's one wheel's hp...its a Ducati. I live by Memorial Jr. High.
Any interest in autocrossing the V with the BMW boys? I instruct for them and there's an event on Oct1 at the NassColloseum...good fun with the Caddy.

Mods...just Corsa and FG2s. The engine is just fine for me. I'm more interested in addressing the hanling aspects of the car, though. District Service Manager doesn't like the mod between my ears, though. He thinks I drive the car "past its design parameters"(note*I do not peel-out, street race, or drag race...just try to see how high I can get the gmeter...so far 1.12left-1.16right on stock tires). Bill seems cool with it though. A few of the techs, Omar and Marquis, wanted to come to the autoxes...perhaps we can persuade them?

Hey Uplink, you going? Order your V already so we can make a presence....

1badcady
09-20-05, 12:01 AM
Tom,
good one lol, never been autocrossing, sounds good, I dont have crazy stuff
either, lpe/cai,stealth tune,ucc, corsa, tpis headers. Would love to try the
autox. How do I get involved? email me @ urena930@optonline.net, Maybe
I'll see you there. How do like the FG2s?

ace996
09-20-05, 12:22 AM
Email sent. Details tomorrow.
Nice mods, but if I had them...my warrantee would've been bye-bye now. Be careful.

FG2s are great, a little stiff for most but I'm looking for stiffer springs. Perhaps Ground-Control can help me...

Ve good,
ace996

-uplink-
09-20-05, 12:42 AM
Tom,
Still own a 996...red. It weighs just over 400lbs and dyno'd at 121owhp...that's one wheel's hp...its a Ducati. I live by Memorial Jr. High.
Any interest in autocrossing the V with the BMW boys? I instruct for them and there's an event on Oct1 at the NassColloseum...good fun with the Caddy.

Mods...just Corsa and FG2s. The engine is just fine for me. I'm more interested in addressing the hanling aspects of the car, though. District Service Manager doesn't like the mod between my ears, though. He thinks I drive the car "past its design parameters"(note*I do not peel-out, street race, or drag race...just try to see how high I can get the gmeter...so far 1.12left-1.16right on stock tires). Bill seems cool with it though. A few of the techs, Omar and Marquis, wanted to come to the autoxes...perhaps we can persuade them?

Hey Uplink, you going? Order your V already so we can make a presence....

Hey Tom. Thanks for the info on Lynbrook. I'll give them a ring.

Hopefully the shoulder stays attached this time. Can't tell you how pissed I was about missing that event for something so stupid. This time out I might grab a Grand Am.

I will run the V once or twice but if I can get the Vette finished up, that would be the real contender.
http://69.112.116.78:9090/corvette_spec_sheets/ - Mods
http://69.112.116.78:9090/corvette_spec_sheets/dyno.gif - Untuned non-FI Dyno
Its more configured as a road course car but a little alignment/suspension tweaking and it should do well at Auto-X.
-Mike