: NAV disc interchangable?

Loadtoad
09-18-05, 11:15 PM
Is the NAV disc the same for all of Cadillac's vehicles or are they model specific?

ctsvett
09-18-05, 11:28 PM
model specific on the CTS.

Reed

Loadtoad
09-19-05, 12:18 AM
No wonder why GM is losing money!

Cadillac Europe told me that my NAV unit will not work with a Euro NAV CD because the software is different. I am dumbfounded that they would have a seperate NAV unit designed for Euro exports on CTS's because they only sold a few hundred cars here last year and I will assume that not all the cars sold had NAV units. I saw that my local dealer has a XLR instock and I was hoping that the discs were interchangable so I could test a Euro NAV disc anyways. I am just puzzled why they redesign products for a next to no volume sales market.

:bigroll:

heavymetals
09-19-05, 01:05 AM
Why?

Because some idiot let it become that way.

Cadillac isn't the only one though.

I can see where problems arise because of different software or options, but gee whiz, what a mess.:bonkers:

rodster111
09-19-05, 11:45 AM
For the life of me, I can't understand why GM doesn't use the exact same NAV system and data DVD on ALL of it's products. To be sure they would want the trim pieces and external appearance of an STS unit to be different from a DTS or a Tahoe or whatever, but the cost savings for using the same display and electronics would have to be huge. The interface itself however should be identical between them all. Then, when I graduate from my CTS-V to an STS-V or whatever path I choose, the NAV system experience is the same, I don't have to relearn a new one, and it cost GM less to give me that bonus.

sefa01
09-19-05, 11:52 AM
For the life of me, I can't understand why GM doesn't use the exact same NAV system and data DVD on ALL of it's products. To be sure they would want the trim pieces and external appearance of an STS unit to be different from a DTS or a Tahoe or whatever, but the cost savings for using the same display and electronics would have to be huge. The interface itself however should be identical between them all. Then, when I graduate from my CTS-V to an STS-V or whatever path I choose, the NAV system experience is the same, I don't have to relearn a new one, and it cost GM less to give me that bonus.Agree 110%. The nav system on my C6 is totally different--and not nearly as good (IMHO)--as the V's system.

Geno
09-19-05, 12:01 PM
For the life of me, I can't understand why GM doesn't use the exact same NAV system and data DVD on ALL of it's products. To be sure they would want the trim pieces and external appearance of an STS unit to be different from a DTS or a Tahoe or whatever, but the cost savings for using the same display and electronics would have to be huge. The interface itself however should be identical between them all. Then, when I graduate from my CTS-V to an STS-V or whatever path I choose, the NAV system experience is the same, I don't have to relearn a new one, and it cost GM less to give me that bonus.

VERY NICE "V" Gallery!

rodster111
09-19-05, 02:13 PM
Thanks Geno!

RobzBLKV
09-19-05, 02:18 PM
that's great! And the Nissan discs work in our system. I don't get it either.

Loadtoad
09-20-05, 12:38 PM
that's great! And the Nissan discs work in our system. I don't get it either.

Hmmmm......
Gotta try a Nissan dealership over here :hmm:

azombie
09-20-05, 06:50 PM
FYI DVD's are encoded differently for each country/region so European DVD players can't play US DVD's and vice versa. Thank the MPAA/Euro Equivalent! Probably has nothing to do with GM.

RobzBLKV
09-20-05, 07:04 PM
A good point. You even have to choose what country you are in when you put a dvd player in a computer these days. At least I did. Still sort of sucks though. I suppose they have to comply with local technology for the movie playing part, though.

slow35th
09-20-05, 07:05 PM
FYI DVD's are encoded differently for each country/region so European DVD players can't play US DVD's and vice versa. Thank the MPAA/Euro Equivalent! Probably has nothing to do with GM.

But, these are data dvd's.......only movie dvd's are encoded for regions

azombie
09-20-05, 08:23 PM
i think we have already discussed why the data dvd doesn't work (different software program for Euro NAV) so the data is prob in a format unreadable by the US software.

i only brought up the encoding to explain why GM probably had to choose different software (they obviously had to install a different unit that was European encoded and probably the NAV Software we use doesn't have a Euro version...although the fact that GM wouldn't anticipate this is a bit disconcerting...but this is fairly new technology so I guess you can maybe give them more of a pass on this than say the REAR DIFFERENTIAL engineering fopa)

Loadtoad
09-21-05, 11:44 PM
But, these are data dvd's.......only movie dvd's are encoded for regions

I have been told by others that modern DVD players play multiple regions.

Since I don't think I have anything to lose, I am going to have to try the Nissan Discs anyways. I did get a e-mail back from Navteq Europe and they claim that they do not even make a European Version of any NAV disc for Cadillac but they do list them for Nissan and Opel. Now I am wondering if Cadillac Europe uses a different manufacturer for over here :banghead:

http://www.navteq.com/ProductFinder?action=submitModel&MakeName=NISSAN&ModelName=Primastar&Manufacturer=25&Model=44&Year=2005

heavymetals
09-22-05, 01:47 AM
Also the nav disk has "hooks" for the traffic feature on XM radio.

steve711
09-22-05, 10:23 AM
Man all this disc stuff is crzy.
Having to update, Being out of date etc.
Has anyone tried or thought of transferring our systems to "Sat Nav" sattalite navigation?.
I mean we already have on-star & Gps.maybe one of you technical wizards could shed some light on this. :hmm:

odysseus
09-22-05, 11:11 AM
The nav system uses GPS (satellite based navigation) already. The On-star (VCIM) box has it's own separate GPS reciever. What's frustrating is the map data that's on the DVDs get's out of date very quickly. Getting Lat/Long and time is trivial with GPS, but unusable without maps. We need the fancy maps to translate this into something humans can use, and they're region specific. US cars only have US maps and POIs, etc (well, lower 48 and parts of Canada). PAL and NTSC are incompatible video formats, but I have no idea if the data format on data DVDs is different also.

Only the later '05's and up have the NavTraffic electronics in the rear deck to receive the NavTraffic XM signal and forward it to the Nav in the proper format to display. Export models also have a TV tuner option (yes with an antenna overlayed in the rear window), that's not available in the US. I presume it's also PAL. Do Europeans and the Asian countries have laws about watching TV/Video while driving like we do?

Loadtoad
09-22-05, 11:32 AM
Export models also have a TV tuner option (yes with an antenna overlayed in the rear window), that's not available in the US. I presume it's also PAL. Do Europeans and the Asian countries have laws about watching TV/Video while driving like we do?

I asked the question today about operating a vehicle with a video playing and was told it's ok if there is a passenger but if there is an accident and no passanger, I would be automatically at fault (you are at fault in Italy if you do not do everything to avoid an accident). It is also illegal to talk of a cell phone without a headset.

Since the NAV looks like it will be useless and there is no Sat radio over here, there is not much else to do with the display. My car is supposed to arrive next week and I will be heading out to my local dealership with it and will have quite a few questions about my options like how much it will be for the Euro NAV unit. Just might be worth it to have the Euro NAV for my 3 years here. I definately will be looking into the Euro tail light package!

$60'000 Euro for a used V with 12,500km

http://www.mobile.de/SIDwUqc2JYPzaqv5ubtpVPjiQ-t-vaNexlCsAsCsK%F3P%F3R~BmSB11Iindex_cgiJ1126720608A 2Iindex_cgiD1100CCarW-t-vctpLtt~BmPA1A1B20A3%81H-t-vCaMkMoSeSmVb_X_Y_x_y~BSRA6D1100D4700Ects-vCPKWDCTSVHinPublicA2A0A0A0/cgi-bin/da.pl?sprache=2&bereich=pkw&top=1&id=11111111180427663&

tedcmiller
09-22-05, 03:32 PM
In my experience, DVD players that are Region sensitive are made by someone who has a stake in the anti-piracy effort. For example, my expensive 5-disc Sony DVD player will play only Region 1 DVDs. My inexpensive Apex DVD player will play anything from any region.