: Hard Starting STS

leveespector
11-27-03, 12:56 AM
I recently bought a 99 STS with 67k miles. I have noticed that under certain conditions the car is somewhat hard to start.

For example, if you turn it off and run into the mall or grocery for half an hour or so - the car is hard to start when you come back out.

It starts fine first thing in the morning and if it has only been shut off for 2 or 3 minutes. But - if you don't hold the key long enough and dont "allow" the car to start, then it is harder to start on the second try.

Make sense?

Anyone else have a similar problem?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Chris

elwesso
11-27-03, 01:23 AM
Welcome to the forums, thanks for signing up :wave:

I think its a clogged fuel filter..... IF it hasnt been replaced within the last year or so (or within 20k miles) its probably clogged up.... My car had a similar problem (under the previous owner) and a new filter fixed it, only having to replace the pump later due to the clogged filter burning it up!!!

Id replace the filter and go from there (its cheap and easy, and a good idea also!)

maydog
11-27-03, 01:39 AM
Search for discussions regarding the fuel pressure regulator.

elwesso
11-27-03, 01:41 AM
Yes.... I keep forgetting that little thing.... It is somewhat troublesome for the Northstar!!!

lido
11-28-03, 12:49 AM
Yes.... I keep forgetting that little thing.... It is somewhat troublesome for the Northstar!!!
Try the Fuel Pressure Regulator.It fixed mine.