: Autovation billet pedal install ?

cram
09-18-05, 04:48 PM
I presume since the parking brake is covered with hard plastic, you apply the pedal over the top of it. Problem is, I drilled the holes through the plastic, but the countersunk machine screws Autovation sent are not long enough to come out the back of the brake. :mad2: Anyone have the same problem? I got the other pedals installed without any difficulty.

urbanski
09-18-05, 05:30 PM
you know i can't find the thread now but yeah, i remember you have to take off the rubber e-brake pad.

cram
09-18-05, 06:01 PM
I think I found the thread, but didn't really see a definitive answer. I also can't determine how to get the hard cover off the e-brake. It seems to be one piece of hard, molded plastic.

urbanski
09-18-05, 06:21 PM
yeah...it's odd, i swear i remember seeing a pic of a stripped e-brake pedal. i dunno...might have to call the vendor for longer bolts or hack the rubber off :D

cram
09-18-05, 06:26 PM
You did see a picture of the stripped e-brake. I saw it, too. It was listed in a post by Jeff from Autovation, then he cleared the content and instead left a message reading "error post".For those that did install the Autovation pedals, how did you mount the e-brake pedal?

51PHFTY
09-18-05, 07:11 PM
I just installed my gas, brake and clutch pedals. When I went to install the E Brake pedal, at first the screws stripped in the rubber until I realized that there was metal in there. I drilled one hole through the rubber and metal and it is too thick to simply screw into (the screws supplied strip in the metal). I am going to use longer counter-sunk bolts and nuts and go all the way through to the back (it seems the only way to mount it securely).

Marty

SBONES
09-18-05, 07:39 PM
right now i got the e brake off...im going to get longer self taping screws for the e brake...looks good w it off...:cool2:

JOEYCTS-V
09-18-05, 08:00 PM
I also drilled out the ebrake pedal, but used large self-tapping screws. It's on real tight.

cram
09-18-05, 09:54 PM
How'd you get the e-brake off, Bones? Guess I'll have to get longer self-tapping screws or countersunk bolts.

JOEYCTS-V
09-18-05, 09:59 PM
I left the ebrake cover on. I just drilled past the rubber and metal and used large self-tapping screws. I also had to bend the gas pedal to fit the curve. The directions were very vague. :rant2:

cram
09-18-05, 10:06 PM
I agree. I like the pedals a lot, but the fact that they didn't come with long enough screws or adequate directions to cover the e-brake tells me Autovation didn't put enough thought into marketing their V pedals.

1MEANV
09-18-05, 10:20 PM
Bottom Line. Are These Pedals Good Or If You Could Would You Now Have Gotten Different Pedals

cram
09-18-05, 10:37 PM
Bottom line--I'd buy the pedals again, but I also have high expectations. When I buy something, I expect it to have all the necessary supplies and directions.

JOEYCTS-V
09-18-05, 10:38 PM
I would buy them again. They're a lot cheaper than the ultimate pedals and in my opinion far better looking.

1MEANV
09-18-05, 10:39 PM
Didyou Get The Heal Plate

AutoVationJS
09-19-05, 12:24 PM
You did see a picture of the stripped e-brake. I saw it, too. It was listed in a post by Jeff from Autovation, then he cleared the content and instead left a message reading "error post".For those that did install the Autovation pedals, how did you mount the e-brake pedal?

Hello guys. Let me clarify the emergency brake pedal installation. (FYI, we have always used machine screws/nuts with our metal e-brakes or any metal pedals for that matter.) The reason for the "error post" was that our original test fitter's installation pic through me off as he decided to use the self tapping screws...
http://www.autovation.net/images/js/CTS-V%20e-brake%20stscrews.jpg

If you need longer machine screws (3/4" long, 1/2" were included) please email me at js@autovation.net (js@autovation.net) and I will be glad to ship two of these to you right away. I apologize for the confusion!

We have since redesign our e-brake with vertical mounting holes as opposed to horizontally since there is more room for drilling in the vertical direction. This will allow installers to drill a hole above and below the stock hole in the pic below. Machine screws and nuts will be used to fasten.
http://www.autovation.net/images/js/CTS-V%20e-brake%20wo%20rubber%20sm.jpg

cram
09-19-05, 12:46 PM
So it appears that you do recommend removing the hard plastic (I wouldn't really call it rubber) from the ebrake. I thought about that while doing the install, but it seems to be really hard to remove. For those that have done it, how did you get it off? It also seems that the longer machine screws would probably fasten the pedal securely without having to remove the plastic.

AutoVationJS
09-20-05, 01:57 PM
So it appears that you do recommend removing the hard plastic (I wouldn't really call it rubber) from the ebrake. I thought about that while doing the install, but it seems to be really hard to remove. For those that have done it, how did you get it off? It also seems that the longer machine screws would probably fasten the pedal securely without having to remove the plastic.

I would recommend removing the hard plastic from the e-brake. This would insure a solid feel and allow more thread engagement with the locknut. It looks like the plastic would be held on with the help of that stock hole below. Perhaps molded into the hole. Drilling the plastic in the location of this hole may free it up easiest. You may need a utility knife as well.

http://www.autovation.net/images/js/CTS-V%20e-brake%20wo%20rubber%20sm.jpg

I have two emails into customers asking if the 3/4" long screws are long enough WITH the plastic cover sandwiched between our pedal and the stock metal pedal arm. I will post the answer when I find out from them. Thank you.

cram
09-20-05, 09:58 PM
The 3/4" screws aren't long enough. I tried one last night. I did stop at Home Depot today and purchased 1" screws instead and used that to mount the pedal. It is very solid and there's lots of thread engagement with the locknut. There really is no reason to remove the hard plastic/rubber cover, especially given the difficulty doing so. The pedals look great and I'm quite happy with them.

Florian
09-20-05, 10:28 PM
how about sending out new vertical mount e brake pedals to those who have the horizontal mount? Or offer to take them in trade? Id be in for that.

Florian

1MEANV
09-20-05, 10:31 PM
Word Up. I Am Thinking About Buying A Set Of These Pedals But First I Want To See Customer Satisfaction.

JAMESDEVANS
09-20-05, 11:11 PM
That is exactly what should be done. A replacement pedal and in the future better mounting instructions. I'm sick of all the aftermarket parts screw ups.

DeputyDog
09-21-05, 12:26 AM
Hey guys.

That is my e-brake picture that I sent to Jeff. I removed the e-brake rubber with a sharp utility knife. I cut a along the back side edges of the rubber and then pealed it of. The rubber is molded to the metal. After the rubber is removed you will see a hole with rubber in it. I drilled that part out with a 3/8" drill bit and then used the same bit to drill out the rest of the rubber behind the metal arm.

The bolt/nut combo will work with the kit but you have to turn the new pedal 90* to work. The original holes are to wide for the arm.

I e-mailed Jeff with the problem. He responded the next day. I told him the new holes should be mounted vertically with the same spacing to miss the large hole in the middle. Jeff said he would make a new pedal with the vertical holes and send it to me which I got right away. Probably took 3-5 days. I was on vacation for 5 days and the pedal was here when I got back.

Jeff was very responsive to the problem and professional. He responded to my e-mail asap, and said he would send out a new pedal with the vertical holes. He even followed up with an e-mail on Monday 9/19 to see haow the pedal fit. IMO he and the company have great customer service and I would highly recommend there products.

AutoVationJS
09-21-05, 11:20 AM
how about sending out new vertical mount e brake pedals to those who have the horizontal mount? Or offer to take them in trade? Id be in for that.

Florian

If customers are not satisfied with us sending longer, 3/4" machine screws to mount our original e-brake on a rubberless stock pedal arm, we will exchange the original e-brake for the newer, vertical mount e-brake. Email me at js@autovation.net. Thank you.

AutoVationJS
09-21-05, 11:28 AM
That is exactly what should be done. A replacement pedal and in the future better mounting instructions. I'm sick of all the aftermarket parts screw ups.

I'm sorry you feel this way. This was an unexpected, minor mishap on a brand new product. I can assure you that we will satisfy our customers.

SBONES
09-21-05, 11:39 AM
hay jeff, can you send one to me...ill send the old one back....i think i emailed you the other day....glad to see your on top of things...this small set back didnt bother me at all....i think they look sick...and its only going to get better once i get the e brake on.......scott:thumbsup:

51PHFTY
09-21-05, 12:04 PM
I E Mailed Jeff late last night about the E Brake pedal and I had a response waiting for me this a.m. saying I would be getting a new one ASAP with the vertical holes.

The other pedals fit and look great!

Mistakes happen and in my HMO, Jeff is fixing it with great customer service!!

Thanks Jeff,

Marty

AutoVationJS
09-21-05, 12:08 PM
hay jeff, can you send one to me...ill send the old one back....i think i emailed you the other day....glad to see your on top of things...this small set back didnt bother me at all....i think they look sick...and its only going to get better once i get the e brake on.......scott:thumbsup:

I have you down for a replacement bud.