: Do you haggle when buying a car?

Ralph
11-26-03, 10:30 PM
This summer I was at some dealerships, and they told me people don't want to negotiate the price anymore! I think they just want more commission. My stepdad has what I call "the Look" and he always saves thousands. When the dealer says how much something costs, he gets an angry "look", and says "that's too much, why would anybody pay that!" When he starts to walk away, they always call him back. LOL! This strategy must work because dealers like Saturn with their "no sticker dicker" must have implemented this philosophy to avoid losing money on haggling.

I am not sure but I think many older folks don't bother trying to get a deal, they cannot be bothered. Younger people like myself will try to haggle, because I could never afford to pay full price. I mean, even when I buy jewellery, I negotiate, I may not always have luck though. How do the Dealers recieve you if you have tried anything like this?

davesdeville
11-26-03, 11:12 PM
If I don't get the price I want, I'll just walk out. If the salesman calls me back, good, if not.. they don't get any of my money..

c5 rv
11-27-03, 12:32 AM
Salespeople are worried that their high paying positions are going to be replaced by low cost order takers or a website. Salespeople allow a dealership to sell a CTS to one person for $37K and an identical unit to another person for $34K and have the dealership and both customers be happy with the deals. If you negotiate, it allows them to practice their craft and maximize their value to the dealership.

Negotiating sales price at the point of sale has been eliminated for most everything else we buy and it's only natural that many persons wish this were true for buying cars. (Heck, they don't buy Saturns for their good looks or great reliability.) People think it's naturally fair for everyone to pay the same price for the same product at a store. Unfortunately, this does not maximize profit for the dealer, nor does it maximize value for the customer.

I buy my cars with GMS pricing, so the price is fixed and the only negotiating is the value of my trade. Recently, one dealer made it very clear that their offer for my trade, which I thought was a fair price, was their best-and-final. Another dealer offered me $2K more for my trade and had the exact CTS I wanted. I was so surprised (and late in getting back to work) that I took the deal on the spot.

Ralph
11-27-03, 01:47 AM
Regarding trading, my dad would never do it. He says that if you trade, you just get the value of the trade taken off and then you have no chance of haggling. IMO trading-in a car is great if you have no time, are moving, or just want a quick sale. Everything else you said (c5 rv) I agree with you, with the possible exception about Saturn. Supposedly Saturn have an excellent quality/reliability rating (Consumer Reports). Oh ya, at the Saturn dealership, the salesman told me "these cars are so good, you do not compare them to domestics, you compare them to Honda, Toyota, they are that good!" So says he.

Personally, I would not lease. From what I understand, you still are responsible for any damage, scratches, etc. at the end of the term, so why not just own it? I appreciate the arguements for depreciation (no pun intended) but you still take a loss at the end, as if you owned it.

ellives
11-27-03, 02:08 AM
Sheesh -- *I'd* like to get GMS pricing too. If memory serves correctly, you have to been an employee of GM or subsidiary to get it... Since I'm unemployed at the moment, I can't be either... lol

Remember, if you're trading, haggle the absolute best price on the car BEFORE you even get into whether you're trading or not. At this point, you can introduce the trade and be able to use kbb.com to establish a fair trade price. I *will* say kbb.com is not always accurate. I just recently sold my wife's 2000 Olds Silhouette and were not able to get near the "private sale" price. This, after months on the market being advertised locally.

I'm not a fan of leasing either but sometimes it makes sense, especially if you own a business and can write off the lost. It's saves coming up with the cash for a down payment and you always have a new car. Me? I keep my cars too long to bother with leasing. My '96 SLS has 62K miles on it. Leasing would be silly for me.

Ells

Regarding trading, my dad would never do it. He says that if you trade, you just get the value of the trade taken off and then you have no chance of haggling. IMO trading-in a car is great if you have no time, are moving, or just want a quick sale. Everything else you said (c5 rv) I agree with you, with the possible exception about Saturn. Supposedly Saturn have an excellent quality/reliability rating (Consumer Reports). Oh ya, at the Saturn dealership, the salesman told me "these cars are so good, you do not compare them to domestics, you compare them to Honda, Toyota, they are that good!" So says he.

Personally, I would not lease. From what I understand, you still are responsible for any damage, scratches, etc. at the end of the term, so why not just own it? I appreciate the arguements for depreciation (no pun intended) but you still take a loss at the end, as if you owned it.

sonjaab
11-27-03, 06:50 AM
C-5....I hear ya ! I too get the GM Employee deal !..
So the price is set in stone ! The only thing to haggle
is the trade in price...............

I find the exact vehicle at 2-3 different dealers and SHOP
my trade. Whichever dealer gives me the most $$$$ for
my trade gets my business............

I tell the salesman ahead of time so theres no time wasting.
And I don't shop on a busy Sat. or holiday either!
Appraise my trade and give me the $$$ figure.
I WILL NOT tell the other dealers how much I was offered.

Then I test drive the new one to check for any problems
before I sign the papers...If no problems.
Where do I sign..and drive home..............

I have the courtesy to call the other dealers and tell them
I got the vehicle from X dealer and thanks for their time.
............geo

back
11-27-03, 09:50 AM
First off im far from cheap, but i will always haggle for a quality automobile. 2 great examples are my sisters 1970 charger and my moms mint 1991 de-commisioned police cruiser. both needed some body work and the caprice needed inteior work done. got the charger down from $500 CAN to a swell $250 CAN, the caprice same method. but yes, both needed alot of work done in the end and i had to spend the differance and made a profit of $20 CAN after selling there old cars. but its an a "asking price". Pending on the car i always like to knock off at least $100 CAN or "No Sale", and i take my bussiness elsewhere. the best part is when you get them appraised and see what you got is really worth. :)
im gone.

JJhomer83
11-28-03, 01:48 PM
Haggle Haggle and haggle some more.
They have a sticker i see how low i can go. You can get the car a few bucks above cost if your good

ShadowLvr400
11-28-03, 08:40 PM
People don't haggle?? I go in knowing the true value of a car, and that's what I aim for. My caddy for example. Sticker was $19,000 (and some change) I left with it, financed, tax tag and title, for 15,000 flat. I always talk them into a complex math problem, where they have to figure out how to get the final price to come out even. I tell them I like even numbers, tis why I do it. In reality, I do it just to be evil. :devil: If a dealership won't come down in their prices, I don't buy with them. I remember back when I was first buying, the Impala was making its return debut. The dealership wanted 32k for it. I left immediately. That level of insane markup isn't worth my time. And if I'm really bored, or determined to get a car that a dealership really doesn't want to come down on, I start a bidding war. :) Hunt a few other dealerships, usually in semi distant areas, and start them fighting for the best deal. Had an Olds Intrigue GLS (the top end) down to 24k back in 1999. But, then the dealership tried to sneak another 2k back onto the price, and I just quit even trying on that Olds. Ended up with the Cutlass at 18k, vs the 21k sticker. But I need to get back to studying, so I say, haggle till the dealer gives up. :)

Ralph
11-28-03, 10:54 PM
Shadow I give you credit for haggling. Another dealer tried to actually up the price on a DTS my dad already worked out the deal on. That was dirty! So he phoned another dealership to hash it out. While he was negotiating with some of these places, to get on his good side, they sent him a couple of those 100th anniversary pin sets of all the Caddy hood ornaments. Very cool.