: My Dealer's Service Center - bumbling idiots

CVP33
09-17-05, 11:28 PM
I was looking at my invoices for my last 4 visits to the dealer. VERY INTERESTING.

Visit #1
Problem - Clunking rear end
Solution - Replaced bushings.
On inspection, the boot around the CV joint is leaking lube. This is repaired and replaced.
Also my tire tread depth is recorded?! (never noticed that before. Interesting huh ACE?)

Visit #2
Problem - Blown outter half shaft (wait a minute didn't they just repair a leaking boot?)
Solution - Replace half shaft.
Also my tire tread depth is recorded AGAIN!?

Visit #3
Problem - Blown inner half shaft (exactly 2 days and 55 miles after the last half shaft)
Solution - Replace half shaft.
Guess what? That's right measure my tread depth again!

Visit #4
Problem - Blown rear diff'
Solution - Replace rear diff' (only problem is the boneheads don't put in the additive because remember we don't have limited slip rear diff's!)
And of course we can't forget to record the tread depth!

So just by looking at my invoices I now see a pattern of cause and effect. It's not abusive driving! It's pure negligence on the part of the dealer. When did the half shafts fail? Immediately after being repaired by the dealer. When did the new differential begin to howl? Immediately after being repaired by the dealer. And for all their due diligence did they decide to read up on the CTS-V and learn about the vehicle they were selling? No, of course not! They were too busy recording my tire tread depth and taking pictures of my Lingenfelter CAI so they could one day void my warranty! NICE JOB BOYS. :thepan:

ace996
09-18-05, 12:16 AM
Chris,
Time to find another dealer, lemon-law or not. If your dealer decides to pull the tire-wear issue and blame the previous incidents on your driving style, there might be a problem in abitration. Needless to say, they are idiots...but that seems to be status quo with our service people. Print out the letter from Cadillac explaining the 3Kmile rotations and keep it in your glove-box, better safe than warrantee-less.

Next time I visit my dealer, I'm planning on mounting the Miglias with some new rubber. That way there can be no BS with tire wear.

These growing pains are really wearing on me....

trekster
09-18-05, 12:28 AM
Hey lemon-law the car and get a 06 V.

edit: Just make sure you get it black because it's the fastest color.

ace996
09-18-05, 12:47 AM
Chris...ya got me thinking and I pulled out my papers. On my visit to the dealer to replace my differential and half-shaft, on my invoice are part numbers....

1 89047647 Shaft Kit
1 10368780 Carrier
2 89021677 Lubricant
1 25730853 Vent

Unless they are calling the additive "Vent", those fkuckwads didn't add the differential additive...

:histeric: :histeric: :histeric: :histeric:

Could that possibly be??? Its almost funny, not really funny, but shame on me for assuming they would add it even when I specifically asked them to add the little bottle of juice...

I hate knowing more than my service techs...it must be a great feeling not knowing how fkucing stupid the people who work on your car must actually be...I'm now jealous of Hyundai drivers.

CTSV05
09-18-05, 12:53 AM
Well, regardless of my issues, at least Chesrown has a very good tech named Chuck. I basically speak directly to him, we have a good relationship, owning a repair shop for years gives me this possilibilty. It makes getting our V fixed right alot easier.

CVP, you should ask if they are also checking apendage length too.......

msheri01
09-18-05, 09:21 AM
Not disputing the repair issues, but the tire tread depth measurement should be being done as part of normal inspection, no matter whether the car is a Deville or a V. Is it just a note on the repair order, or are they trying to say that it is related?

CVP33
09-18-05, 10:09 AM
Not disputing the repair issues, but the tire tread depth measurement should be being done as part of normal inspection, no matter whether the car is a Deville or a V. Is it just a note on the repair order, or are they trying to say that it is related?

Bingo! Related. "Abnormal rear tire wear noted", "may be abusive driving". ASM alluded to same.

rand49er
09-18-05, 11:29 AM
Chris, I'm a very moderate driver, and I've noticed very significant tire wear when I rotated the tires last week at 9.5k. If we're talking 2-3k, and they noticed a lot of wear, that's one thing. But, if we're talking, say, 8-10k with wear, that should be expected regardless. Do you have the mileage recorded at the time of these dealer visits in order that a plot could be made of wear as a function of mileage? (high slope=high wear=>excessive; low slope=low wear=>not excessive)

heavymetals
09-18-05, 01:26 PM
Chris, I'm a very moderate driver, and I've noticed very significant tire wear when I rotated the tires last week at 9.5k. If we're talking 2-3k, and they noticed a lot of wear, that's one thing. But, if we're talking, say, 8-10k with wear, that should be expected regardless. Do you have the mileage recorded at the time of these dealer visits in order that a plot could be made of wear as a function of mileage? (high slope=high wear=>excessive; low slope=low wear=>not excessive)

You mean you got to rotate the tires at 9.5k and didn't have to replace them?:histeric:

CVP33
09-18-05, 02:33 PM
My second V starting hitting hitting the service center at 8,000 miles and hasn't stopped since. :yup:

msheri01
09-18-05, 02:46 PM
Bingo! Related. "Abnormal rear tire wear noted", "may be abusive driving". ASM alluded to same.

The "may be abusive driving" notation would concern me, as it does you. An evaluation of the tires is relatively simple. If they are worn evenly over the entire tread surface, it is "normal" wear, since there is no specified mileage wear for the F1. How long it takes for this "normal" wear pattern to emerge will depend on driving habits, but even if you are doing hole shots and lighting up the rear tires, it is still a "normal" wear pattern. Uneven wear over the tread surface would be concern for alignment issues or suspension problems. Since the tires are not mileage rated,what do they determine "abnormal", the wear pattern, or the mileage? In evaluating the tires, how many points did they measure? Tire measurements that differ when the wheel is rotated 90 degrees would also be a concern related to suspension alignment or other concerns. As for making the "abusive" accusation, the AVM is usually basing this on the dealer-provided information.

rand49er
09-18-05, 03:04 PM
You mean you got to rotate the tires at 9.5k and didn't have to replace them?:histeric:

Okay, heavy ... I'm a VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY moderate driver.:worship:

benjet
09-18-05, 03:42 PM
Uneven wear over the tread surface would be concern for alignment issues or suspension problems. Since the tires are not mileage rated,what do they determine "abnormal"

I had this in my 1st month of ownership (3k miles), I complained about it to the dealer who DID an alignment at the time but no offer of replacement tires.

Go figure.