: head bolt torque settings

chance_b
09-17-05, 10:57 PM
hey,
i'm busy repairing my head gasket, and i know everyone recommends timeserting while you're at it, but.. i just can't afford it right now. i heard that usually damage to the threads occurs due to over-torquing the bolts during reinstall, so here's my question:
what is the proper torque sequence for the head bolts, and how many pounds should i torque them to?

thanks a lot!

zonie77
09-18-05, 12:02 AM
The damage is there when you disassemble. How do yours look?

There was a guy (when I first got on the board) that had a thread fail on reassembly, and it was the last one! The admonition to timesert them is to prevent redoing it.

The torque spec has been posted a ton of times. I don't know it offhand.

davesdeville
09-18-05, 05:11 AM
You have the head off. Timesert it. Now. Get a loan. It's like $400 in parts to do it and when you're done you can recover more than half of that. The thread damage happens mostly when the headgasket goes, not when you're torquing the new bolts.

Ranger
09-18-05, 10:07 AM
Many times the threads come out with the bolts as Zonie said. Other times on reinstallation. I know of others who had them go 10K later. Do yourself a favor, do it once, do it right and do it now.

94CaddyConcours
09-19-05, 03:11 PM
If You Were To Timsert It Would The Head Be Remove The Next Couple Of Time Without Timeserting Again?

Ranger
09-19-05, 05:16 PM
If I understand your question correctly, yes. Once timeserted, you can remove the heads again without timeserting. Once timeserted, you are putting steel bolts into steel threads.......... the way God intended.

zonie77
09-19-05, 10:27 PM
It's very wise to timsert the block. I would NOT do the heads without timeserting no matter how good they look.