: Stabilitrak engaging when it shouldn't??? Jerking car to right

Ryan's '05-V
09-17-05, 11:25 PM
Has anyone else experienced Stabilitrak engaging or coming on when it shouldn't?
I have noticed about four times now that when I am flooring it and am in 3rd at about 5000 rpms and going about 70, maybe 73, my car jerks to the right and Stabilitrak comes on my Nav screen. WTF??? :hmm:
It happened last week and I got off the freeway to get gas and induced this when merging on.
Then yesterday I was cruising on the freeway and had to accelerate to pass someone or brake so I dropped it to 4th from 6th at about 80 and when I reached about 95MPH on a slight turn left it did it again but much worse and it scared the shit out of me.
I have not tried this with Stabilitrak off but should to see what happens. I assume nothing since Stabilitrak should be off.
I was pissed off :mad: and called Onstar and they transferred to Caddy Cust Asst so I could have them log my complaint. I was so pissed and know there is nothing they can do until I take it in. I don't want to wreck my car or die because of this so called "safety" feature. This is bullshit! :mad:

I recently had two trips to the dealer to get all my TPS working and my Competitve Driving Mode still does not work. I can now turn Stabilitrak off. Any idea what the problem is here?

I need to get my tires Road Force Balanced too as the vibration over 75+ is pretty bad. It happens in N, 5th, and 6th so it must be my tires (Avon M550s).
I would appreciate any help with this Stabilitrak issue.

thefred
09-18-05, 12:32 AM
Not sure if its the same thing, but some of us on the CTS forum have had this problem. Some kind of sensor went bad. Others said it was a steering or speed sensor, but with mine they said it was a yolk sensor under the rear seat.

ace996
09-18-05, 01:05 AM
Ryan,
Sorry to hear the issue. Bite the bullet and see the dealer, as that is an unsafe condition. I do remember hearing some say that an X-pipe could cause/did cause some interference with vibration and caused Stabilitrac to kick-in....are you running an Xpipe?
Be good,
ace996

Ryan's '05-V
09-18-05, 01:29 AM
Yeah, I'm going to the dealer sometime pretty soon but I don't know which one. I find it very hard to believe an X pipe has anything to do with it and yes, I have a B&B exhaust with X pipe. I can't remember if this at all happened before I got it. I might have.
Ace, tell me more about the X pipe effect if you know any more. How has your car been doing these days. I have a few issues but i love my car. This one is just not safe and I hope can be fixed. I know there are many other B&B X pipe users so this can't be the issue but maybe it has something to do with it.

thefred, it is a yaw sensor and this is what tells the systems to take control of the vehicle if needed.
I guess I will see what happens when I get to the dealer.

StealthV
09-18-05, 01:43 AM
The B&B x-pipe is most likely the cause. Slightly loosen the two bolts where the x-pipe bolts underneath the car and ST won't freak out anymore.

Ryan's '05-V
09-18-05, 01:53 AM
Really, that is pretty wierd but I'm sure you experienced this in your testing. I have a terrible rattle from the X pipe too and i noticed the heat shield or whatever it is with the push bottom type attachment is loose. I will try to find some larger grommets but I have had a tough time. That has been my plan but I guess I need to find something.

Thanks Stealth.

ace996
09-18-05, 01:58 AM
Dealer service disaster narrowly averted!!!!

Ryan's '05-V
09-18-05, 02:02 AM
Yeah, no crap. Nice call. I guess I need to pad the crap out of it. I hope that will help with my rattle too and I'm sure it will. I'm searching to find something and won't stop until I do. I think there are some pieces at work that I can dig up on Monday.

urbanski
09-18-05, 09:49 AM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43944&highlight=stabilitrak
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49042&highlight=stabilitrak

did you ever find those grommets? how do you have the center section supported? however you do, it's not only too tight causing the rattling, but it's sending the resonance to the ST module. Needs changed.

Ryan's '05-V
09-18-05, 11:59 AM
I was a tire place just after getting the exhaust put on and grabbed a couple rubber valve stem pieces that were cut off and seem to fit your ideal type of rubber as they are not real hard. I think the washer that came with the stock screw is on their too.
I will look to get some more rubber but I think the pipes are vibrating off the bottom of the car and this maybe be what is engaging ST.
The exhaust pipes had their own metal tabs attached to them so I used those. I can try to get some pics and I know I tightened up up pretty good so I will losen it up.
I think I may need to use some washers between the metal tabs to move the exhaust further away so it doesn't rattle but it seems you didn't do that. I guess I need to experiment a while.
When I was at Home Depot after I got it they had nothing at the store I went to for rubber washers and the 2 or 3 they did were very thin.
I will look for some plastic now too.
I remember looking at your picture and never thought it was a big deal. Just bolt it up and go but I see I need to do some tweaking. Thanks Urb.
Ryan

urbanski
09-18-05, 12:11 PM
yeah....it is a big deal trying various combinations and trying to get the right balance of vibration vs. not engaging ST. With my X-pipe, the actual BB rubber grommets are perfect! Just the right height, no vibration, and no ST oddness. With the resonator, the grommets caused ST oddness...go figure.
Since you have the X, maybe you should just buy the BB pieces and save the hassle of trying 100 combinations, lol.

Ryan's '05-V
09-18-05, 01:20 PM
When I saw the pic Stealth took I thought they looked pretty good so I may just do that since you say they are working fine. They wanted $20 plus $15 S&H but if it doesn't rattle & scare the crap out of me it is worth it.
I thought I saw something just like it at work so I may look for those and call Billy if they don't work.
The ST coming on at 70 was annoying and a little concerning but my 95 experience was pretty scary so I don't want to repeat that.
Thanks again.

MadMike
09-18-05, 09:56 PM
had the same thing with our 03 std cts.......the wife said the car was twitching on the road.......i drove it and it scared me too.......fortunately we were on the way to the dealer to pick up the new '05 v.....traded that problem right back to gm

thefred
09-19-05, 12:39 AM
Ryan,

Yolk sensor, yaw sensor...either way....it'll scramble your eggs when the stabilitrack kicks on unexpectedly while driving!!!

pmsteinm
09-19-05, 12:11 PM
Ha...I had a similar thing occur...stabilitrak would come on any time I accelerated in a slight left turn.

Took the car to the dealer.

Got a call the next day about a control arm seperation.
http://cadillacforums.com/forums/images/smilies/eek2.gif
Better it happens while the dealer is driving it than me. My car was one of the ones that led to the recall.

RobertCTS
09-19-05, 12:35 PM
Same thing happened to mine. GM calls it the Steering Sensor. Quite alarming when the brakes pulsate pulling the car. A bit dangerous too. It a common problem. I'm surprised Cadillac hasn't done a recall.

Ryan's '05-V
09-19-05, 03:14 PM
I crawled under it yesterday for a while and added some plastic. I will drive it tomorrow and see if i can induce this again sometime this week. I hope to have stopped my rattle or at least identified part of it.

I will keep the control arm or steering sensor in mind at my next visit. I want to try to fix it before I go to the dealer since this is not a GM problem.

While I was there I noticed my diff leaking slows still. I finally drove in some rain after a few months and even with the new bushings it hops like crazy unless you are pretty care. I figured that didn't help which is why I am looking for the new diff part # to have in case I need one. The tech told me they have seen some issues with seals on CTS' so I hope that is all it is.

V-Max
09-19-05, 10:12 PM
Ah! B&B prevails again to cause problems. :)

Norm

BliTzer
09-19-05, 10:24 PM
ya know.. when i first went to 20's my competitive mode quit working also, and i had a tbs problem as well.. but mine was not as severe as yours.. mine would just not work at all.. but i was told they had to change 3 different type of sensors, including changing the tire pressure sensors that monitor the read out on dash..

later blitzer

-uplink-
09-26-05, 02:42 PM
Yeah, I'm going to the dealer sometime pretty soon but I don't know which one. I find it very hard to believe an X pipe has anything to do with it and yes, I have a B&B exhaust with X pipe. I can't remember if this at all happened before I got it. I might have.
Ace, tell me more about the X pipe effect if you know any more. How has your car been doing these days. I have a few issues but i love my car. This one is just not safe and I hope can be fixed. I know there are many other B&B X pipe users so this can't be the issue but maybe it has something to do with it.

thefred, it is a yaw sensor and this is what tells the systems to take control of the vehicle if needed.
I guess I will see what happens when I get to the dealer.

Some of the sensors can be, for lack of a better word, sensitive. A bunch of guys with C5 Vettes have had problems with stainless brake lines screwing up the ABS or traction control. The vibrations in your X-pipe could theoretically be at a frequency that would interfere with sensors in close proximity. Its just like the old days of testing knock sensors by rapping a wrench on the headers or block.
-Mike