: 01 STS stalls when stoped at light!

Sharc99
09-17-05, 07:42 AM
:banghead: Car has 59,000 miles runs great. Come to a light or stop and car will just stall. Starts right back up and all ok. :cookoo:

davesdeville
09-17-05, 07:47 AM
Does the car just go from idle (maybe 700rpm or so if you've just stopped) to completely dead or does it hesitate, lose RPM, and die?

Sharc99
09-17-05, 12:11 PM
Idle at stop light, car just stalls. Do not touch gas pedel or anything. When it stalls I put in netural and start then it is fine.
Thanks

Ranger
09-17-05, 12:45 PM
01's were known for faulty crankshaft sensors. Any DTC'c stored?

01STS
09-17-05, 01:04 PM
I agree... crank position sensors. Mine was the same way before I swapped them out. Just be thankfull yours isn't stalling when you are driving like mine was.

Sharc99
09-17-05, 03:00 PM
I went out today again, it did the same thing. NO codes poped up on the dic. Sounds like a trip to local dealer for warranty check:)

tstach
09-19-05, 12:37 PM
Checked the fuel pressure regulator?

wallace902
09-20-05, 10:06 AM
I have a same happened on my 00 STS many times. No code show on DIC or Engine light on.After changed the crankshaft position sensor.It never stall again.

mcowden
09-20-05, 11:28 AM
I have a same happened on my 00 STS many times. No code show on DIC or Engine light on.After changed the crankshaft position sensor.It never stall again.

The symptom of engine stalling at a stop is almost always a crank position sensor problem. On the 2000 model year, the sensors are known to be sub-par and questionably reliable. They are likely to fail. Other years can have the problem as well, but on a 2000 they were using a different manufacturer and there were quality problems. New sensors for a 2000 car are from a different manufacturer and should not have the same problem.

fpmesiIII
09-20-05, 07:53 PM
i have the same problem with 1996 sts with a 137k. one of these days im gonna get a new FPR and see if that fixes it.

Ranger
09-20-05, 09:00 PM
i have the same problem with 1996 sts with a 137k. one of these days im gonna get a new FPR and see if that fixes it.
A faulty FPR is not likely to cause an engine stall.

Swangin-&-Bangin
09-20-05, 09:23 PM
I just had the same problem in my 03 DTS. I took it to the dealership and they installed new crank shaft sensors.

rbrandon
09-20-05, 10:49 PM
this is drivin me nuts, I have the same problem, 99 sts, 107k miles, I've had the FPR, fuel pump, and crank sensors replaced, and it will still give me hard start/stalling problems, last week it stalled @ 65mph on the highway, wierd thing is that when it died all my lights started flashing too, first time that's happened http://cadillacforums.com/forums/images/smilies/confused.gif

mcowden
09-20-05, 11:40 PM
this is drivin me nuts, I have the same problem, 99 sts, 107k miles, I've had the FPR, fuel pump, and crank sensors replaced, and it will still give me hard start/stalling problems, last week it stalled @ 65mph on the highway, wierd thing is that when it died all my lights started flashing too, first time that's happened http://cadillacforums.com/forums/images/smilies/confused.gif

Maybe you have corroded battery cables, a bad ground somewhere, or a failing alternator. Maybe just a loose connection somewhere or a bad relay. That could explain the electrical anomaly. Outside of that, I'd be looking at a TPS or MAF. Might be a silly question, but have you looked for codes? When you say "stalled at 65," do you mean the engine died very quickly, or did it sputter and die or have less power for a few seconds, then die?

rbrandon
09-21-05, 09:33 AM
The only codes that come up are

MSM B1804
MSM B1835

and sometimes AMPU1064

As far as the stallnig @ 65, it was like someone just shut it off, no stutter or stumble, I was letting it coast down from 65 and it just quit, then I got the flashing dash lights. Pulled it over, put it in neutral, and it started right up.

Sharc99
09-23-05, 05:40 PM
Thanks everyone. Brought it to the dealer and they changed the crank sensors and the car runs great. It feels good to know a little about your problem so you feel like the dealer don't bull $hit you. Car was under warranty that was better... Thanks Again..

mcowden
09-23-05, 09:56 PM
Thanks everyone. Brought it to the dealer and they changed the crank sensors and the car runs great. It feels good to know a little about your problem so you feel like the dealer don't bull $hit you. Car was under warranty that was better... Thanks Again..

Glad to hear it all worked out in your favor, Sharc99. Those $tealer$hip guys will take you to the cleaners if you're not careful, so good thinking for stopping in here for a little advice first. Thanks for coming back to let us know how it turned out. You might stop in the dealership forum and let them know where you went and what you thought of the service. It will help someone else down the road. The whole karma train thing, ya know? :yup: Check out the other maintenance and repair info available on the site. You may learn something else that will save you big buxx down the road. There's a wealth of information and friendly people around here.

Cheers! :cheers:

SteelFist
09-28-05, 12:03 PM
Way to work together fellas!

BTW, I have an '02 DTS and it did that one time only at a stop light this summer in like 95 degree heat. It never did it again so I initially blamed the heat. Thanks for the info on the crank sensors because if it happens again, then I'll have an idea now of what it may be.

hmcorrales
11-09-05, 12:48 PM
it's the sensor, i had the same problem with the car shutting off at stoplights on my '01 deville dhs

KimSingapore
11-09-05, 11:06 PM
I'm having the same problem with my 98 STS, but live overseas so parts are difficult and expensive to get and the trouble shooting by the techs isn't too hot. They are trying to get me to replace the fuel pump.

One question, mine only stalls after it has been running for a little while and engine temperature indicator shows to the middle of the guage (Singapore is very hot and humid year round, 90 degrees and 95% humidity is the norm) and the Air Con can be on or off--same thing you were experiencing?