: Oldsmobile Toronado Trofeo

Vesicant
11-26-03, 05:22 PM
An Oldsmobile Toronado Trofeo? Your asking, what does that have to do with cadillac and also wondering what kind of car it is! Well, I use to own one and even had a website about it. They basicly are ElDorados in disguise, with corvette bred suspensions. Yes this is all true, I decieve you not. Beginning in 1988, they were a two door 4 seat, square boxy design with a single taillight-bar running accross the rear above the bumper and rotating cover'ed headlights. Unique to this model truely is the fact that they have one of the first Touch Screen onboard computers in a car, ever (made in mass production). The one I owned was a 1991, and production stopped in 1992; the end of the toronado and trofeo. After 1990 they redesigned the car , giving it 10 more horsepower (170 instead of 160) comming from a classic Pushrod 3.8l V6 parts bin version, new equipment options etc. The car was considered the top of the line, featuring leather as a standard in 1990 +, automatic, alloy wheels, cellular phone, and the onboard computer. Redesign features include smoothed rear corner pannels, different tailights and rounded down hood section. This car features fully independant suspension in front and rear; the rear being a single leaf design (opt code FE3) borrowed from the C-4 corvette but designed for the trofeo. 4 wheel disc brakes, Bosch ABS, auto-leveling rear suspension, 8 way dual power leather seats and remote entry were also some nice features on the car. Being at a weight of 3500 pounds, it was not that terribly quick with only 170 hp it would do 0-60mph in about 10 seconds flat, but this car handles like no other in its class. In 1991 , judging from the model i had- it could out handle the Chevrolet Camaro from its time, doing .87g's on the skid pad. Being based on a Cadillac ElDorado, you were insured a very classy ride which it delivered, yet having good damping and little lean around corners. The Vehicle Information Center is a screen mounted in the center of the dashboard, which controls HVAC, Radio, Compass, and also allows you to check the status of the engine (RPM, Temp, Oil press.) and trouble codes in diagnostic mode. Though the interface was bland, it was quite the advancement in automotive technology for the time and made for a great conversation piece. Limited production numbers , especially for the last two years only totaled 10,000 in 1991-92. Slightly over priced, giving such a sporty ride and having a throaty exhaust roar and elegant looks wasnt what the Oldsmobile buyers of the time were looking for, so GM cut off production in September of 1992. History of the car is now sparce and only few people know what they are. Apart from the success of the 60's Oldsmobile Toronado FWD V8, this model ended the Toronado line and leaving it only as a memory.

Photos to be added in Pictures section, if anyone wants to see what it looked like!

davesdeville
11-26-03, 06:42 PM
I only knew about the old FWD v8 ones... learn something new every day.

brougham
11-27-03, 12:07 AM
That's some good info and they're an interesting car, but I'd keep the pictures in this thread myself and not in the picture section since there are some other Cadillacs that are related to other cars aswell.

This is probably the type of information that would fit best on a page like the history page. Maybe you should contact Sal and see if he's got any preference of where pictures and information like this could go or if he wants to get into it here. Don't forget the Riviera since it's also related to them :)

Andrew60SP
11-27-03, 12:49 AM
I always liked the look of the Trofeo. Didn't know it had such a nice suspension.

My dad had an '82 Toronado.
If it wasn't for that car, I would've thought it was pronounced Tornado. :D

BeelzeBob
11-27-03, 12:58 AM
Very interesting.. We've got a fan for the oldsmobileforums.com site that's going up sooner or later. :p I always did like those cars, Jeff..

tru504187211
11-27-03, 07:53 PM
When I was looking for a *new* car, my dad actually told me to look for a Toronado...I'm glad I never found one though, because I found my Caddy. :)

Night Wolf
11-27-03, 10:27 PM
Heres a nice one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31865&item=2444028546

wow....these are all completed, they are not going for much money at all, most aren't even selling....

.... I think a new s/c 3800 series II would be a nice little project :D

Night Wolf
11-27-03, 10:27 PM
http://search-completed.ebay.com/search/search.dll?GetResult&ht=1&sr=0&sortproperty=metaendsort&query=Oldsmobile+Toronado+Trofeo&completedonly=1

that is the completed ones....

Vesicant
11-29-03, 07:38 PM
Sorry about not posting pictures in with the thread itself, but im new to this type of "format" shall we say. :banghead: If anyone wants to hint me as to how I go about doing it... feel free.

As for the car, one person noted the suspension... they ride surprisingly sporty like, but have a cadillac attitude when it comes to bumps etc. For only 170 hp on the last model years, they give it all they can if you floor it from a dead stop, its acually fun to feel it hit you in the seat of your pants. Now im not sure about if the engine has any unique technology to help the acceleration feel but they claim to have a "Tuned Port Injection" system (says it on the intake manifold cover) so I guess it must help somehow.