Cadillac Owners Forum banner

They said it was too late, but I am confused.

10K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Punmax 
#1 ·
Hello folks,

I just bought an 08 escalade with 109k miles. I am new to cadillac and before I made the purchase I posted on this forum asking suggestions. Please see here:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...new-cadillac-advice-needed-two-escalades.html
As many members here preferred the first one, I bought the firs one.

I took it to dealer yesterday to do transmission service and transfer case service, and they said the also inspected the vehicle and found that front CV axle needed replace and oil pan gasket was leaking oil. They quote me $1300 for both work. I contactedfirestone and their price was around 700. However, I found an independent auto shop in Columbus, OH, which has some 70 google reviews and all 5 stars! As a result, I went there this morning. Here is what something serious came in.

The independent technician checked my vehicle and he said the following:

We diagnosed the car and found that both side exhaust manifolds are rusted, passenger side manifold boot is broken, under car is starting to rust, driverside axle shaft is spitting grease, and main seal and oil pan gasket is leaking oil.

But the most heartbroken thing is that he told me the car was seriously abused considering the rust it has. I asked him any wayto fix it? He said it is better not to touch it right now and repair it when it breaks. He also said that it was too late to take care of the rust and the engine may only have 20k miles left, or even 10k, regardless of what I do.
I am really confused. Is rust something not repairable? So my car will die within a year regardless of what I do? (except for buying a new engine, I know that will work). He also said that the car is heavily abused and the reason why it has so much rust may due to special use of the vehicle (such as construction); However, as I posted in the first thread, the car is a personal vehicle and there are more than 30 records on car fax, all maintenance work is done at the same cadillac dealership in Cleveland Ohio.

In addition, the car runs great and smooth. I also own a 2007 Lexus LS460 from new, now it has 100k miles and the escalade is even better than the Lexus (smoothness);

Bottom line: is what he said about my escalade true? Do I have to watch the car die and nothing will help? Also he said the oil leak is minor and the dealer over manifested the CV problems. He said I did not have to repair the oil leak issue, just check oil every 2 weeks. And the CV is not major, I should still be ok for another 6 to 7k miles. Should I listen to him or just spend the money and fix those problems anyway? My budget is tight right now. I considered him a very honest person, so I want to get insight about the rust problem, Please help, really appreciate.

I also attached the pictures of my engine.

Auto part Engine Vehicle Fuel line Suspension part

Auto part Engine Vehicle Car Automotive engine part

Auto part Engine Vehicle Car Pipe

Auto part Vehicle

Auto part Tire Engine Automotive wheel system Brake

Auto part Fuel line Engine Metal Vehicle

See less See more
#2 ·
Manifolds are unprinted metal... They rust.

"Manifold boot"? Not a clue what they're referring to.

Axle boot torn? Ok, it needs to be disassembled, waned, inspected, greased, and the boot replaced (or simply replace the axel).

Underside rusted? Ok, body or frame? Surface rust on the frame isn't unusual. ANY rust is repairable, and surface rust on the frame really doesn't have to be touched. "Not to touch it and repair it when it breaks"? That sentence really doesn't work to describe a rust issue, and no, you do not just wait and let it get worse.

Leaky gaskets and seals? It happens.

There is NO WAY to estimate how much longer the engine will run. But considering there were ZERO issues in their "diagnosis" that would lead to engine damage, I haven't a clue why he made an estimate of 10K-20K...

You need to find an actual shop that has at least half a clue about what they're talking about.

Post some pictures of the rust.

#3 ·
Thank you MoistCabbage. At least you gave me some confidence that those things will not affect the engine. I did post some pictures, can you see those pictures? The system may have some problems. I'll fix it.

i just re-read his statement and found that it was not the manifold boot. He means the manifold bolt, my bad. Yes the phrase " axle boot torn" is exactly what the dealership said. Funny thing is that the dealer only want $620 for this part (they recommend to change the axel assembly). However the independent shop asked $720 for this job, but he did mention that he would disassembled the thing (so I guess the dealer was just thinking of the easier fix? so they charge less?)

Based on your experience, if you were to repair some of it but not all, what is your priority?

#4 ·
Yes, I saw the pictures, but I meant the rust on the underside of the truck.

If there's surface rust on the frame, you can leave it, or hit it with a wire brush and some chassis paint. Any rot on the frame or body needs to be fixed by a GOOD body shop, and that would be my first concern. If your state requires inspections, that would be an immediate fail, and the selling dealer should be responsible.

If the oil leaks are leaving puddles overnight, then address those next. If ft's just seepage or a few drips, you could either fix them, or add a bit of oil every couple of weeks/months.

The rusty manifolds, unless they're rotting, aren't an issue. The bolt is. Do you hear an exhaust leak under the hood?

The axel would be last on my list. It needs to be replaced anyway, so just drive it with the ripped boot. Worst case scenario is it starts to clunk and you replace it sooner rather than later. It should last at least a few months as is.

#5 ·
Thank you for your suggestions, it seems that both of us are night owls!
I will definitely check the underside of the truck tomorrow and report back. For the oil leak issue, I can see the seepage and I did see some puddles today but I am not sure whether it is mine or others'. Parked my car in public parking space. Parked for 3 hours in the morning and found some puddles but in the afternoon when I parked it in another space for like 4 hours, there was no puddles. I will keep a eye on it and if it get worse I will repair it immediately. The dealer said to replace the oil pan gasket, but the independent shop also mentioned the main seal. I hope it is not the main seal ...

Currently I cannot hear the exhaust leak noise. The engine is very smooth, very stable at idle and does not have any kind of vibration, which I feel strange considering the age and the potential problems described previously.

For the axle, when I drive around in town I cannot hear any clicking noise, but when the speed is higher, say on highway, I do hear some noise from the driver side (where the CV is said to be torn), as if the road is uneven and the suspension is working hard, but that sound comes and goes. I agree with you that the axle would be the last on the list.

#6 ·
All escalade used in the rust belt states have the same pics! You may ask the dealer and they can just replace the CV boot and not the whole axle. Wetness of the oil pan is normal and unless it is dripping oil should not be a problem. It looks like something not to be worried about. Just change CV boot and that's it. Do the regular oil changes.

#8 ·
Just changed the CV thing today! Hope it solve the problem!
The oil pan is not dripping, just seepage. I hope I can still drive it for another 30k with the minor oil leak.

----------

First off, judging from your pictures, everything looks normal. My '07 w/ 200k looks about the same.

Second of all, why is he saying that your engine has 10-20k left? 100,000 miles is NOTHING for these trucks if they are properly maintained.

And lastly, did you not get a pre-purchase inspection done? That's a must, especially for an Escalade that retailed for 70-80k. Did you buy it from a dealer or privately? I would go back and demand that they fix the issues you're having.
Punmax, thank you for your response.

Do you have an idea about what your engine looks like when it has around 110k? If my engine looks the same as yours, I thing there is a problem because I only have about half the mileage you have. Or does the rust have nothing to do with mileage?

I have NO IDEA of what he said either...He even said that the engine is NOT repairable due to the rust, and I have to WATCH IT DIE. In addition, he got 70 5-star review on google. I am really confused too. I hope he over manifested the problem,and it seems like he did. I have had the truck for about 10 days now and really love it, hope it is ABLE TO last for at least 30k miles without giving me huge problems :)

I bought it from a dealer, but not a Cadillac dealer. It is an independent dealer. They have about 150 cars inventory on average. I did not even contact then because I know they will screw me up and said the truck is sold AS-IS :(

#15 ·
Just to be on the safe side, cover your alternator, air intake cover, and the fuse box with a grocery bag. Best thing to use would be a hose without any attachments. You don't need pressure as the de-greaser will loosen the dirt which will be easily carried away by a soft stream of water. Also, make sure the engine is cold or a little warm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.