: Engine noise

'93 eSTSther
09-15-05, 10:26 PM
Hello all. I've been reading the posts on this board for awhile and it seems like this is a good group. The reason for my post is that I have a whining noise coming from the engine ('93 Northstar). At first, due to my unfamiliarity with the Northstar I thought it may be the serpentine belt, or that the power steering pump was low on fluid, as it it kind of like a turbo "whine" that increases in pitch with higher rpm. Upon closer inspection, the noise seems to be coming from under the intake cover on the right center of the engine. Has anyone experienced this before, or know what the likely culprit may be? The motor has only 95,000 miles, runs very well and does not overheat at all. The noise does not diminish much, if at all as the engine warms up. I've changed the oil twice since I've had it (3,000 miles), as well as the serpintine belt, water pump belt, water pump (THAT was fun!) and have plans for a new exhaust. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Carl Young

Ranger
09-15-05, 10:34 PM
Vacuum leak in the intake cover gasket? Idler, tensioner, alternator or A/C clutch bearing?

'93 eSTSther
09-16-05, 09:54 PM
I wasn't very clear on my post - the noise is in the top of the engine, not the side. It is coming from something underneath the intake cover just to the side of the Cadillac symbol that is nearer to the power steering pump. And it's a fairly loud - you can hear it from inside the car when the windows are down. I can take it to a dealer, but I prefer to work on cars myself - just wanted to know if it was a common/known issue.

Ranger
09-16-05, 10:04 PM
I am not real familiar with the '93/'94 but take the top cover off the intake and have a look around. Pay attention to the cover gasket. Maybe listen around with a stethescope or a hose first. DO NOT start the engine with the cover off.

Marshall
09-17-05, 02:34 PM
Check out this thread

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25357&highlight=god+awful

First tho completely remove the serpintine belt and start the engine to check if it is an accessory or idler.
If the noise is still present, while the engine is running: slightly loosen the intake hold down bolts and slightly shift/move the intake, if the noise changes it's the intake gasket. You might get by whith just repositioning and retorquing of the intake bolts.I had the same noise you described for about 5K miles till it finally let loose, then it was ear piercing! Hope this helps.
Marshall

'93 eSTSther
09-20-05, 02:56 AM
Thanks, guys - I'll check that and let you know.:thumbsup:

AlBundy
09-20-05, 08:23 PM
I have the same problem on my 96ESC 43,000miles. I exchanged the belt because it broke on me. I didn't start hearing this chirping sound untill about two weeks later. I believe its the tensioner but I'm not sure. I'm going to try the listening hose trick to see what I can find.

alhalljr
10-06-05, 12:54 AM
check your ac compressor I had this problem I replaced every pulley only to find out that I had a bad pulley on the ac compressor it was so bad that the bearings were half gone