: Fast Forward

NoSlackCadillac
09-15-05, 04:53 PM
Anyone ever use this product or one like it? Seems to good to be true. I'm assuming there are downsides associated.

http://www.drpperformance.com/_store/Display_Products.asp?prodID=PROB1020

RobzBLKV
09-15-05, 05:17 PM
A lot of the octane boost products are junk and a waste of money. There are some that have a measurable effect. I don't have any personal knowledge of this particular version, but I can find the name of what I consider to be a credible octane boost if you are interested. I don't remember it off the top of my head.

ace996
09-15-05, 07:46 PM
Unless you have a need for higher octane, it is a waste of money. There are only certain instances that higher octane will enhance your performance from running premium gas, very high temps...poor gas quality...or, and here's the big one, you have increased timing in your ecu programmed in.

Higher octane fuel actually is harder to burn than lower octane, and unless you have the sky-high compression and/or timing requirements, you will realize less hp/tq than with what your car was designed.

Some turbo cars will do better with higher octane fuels, ie. Subaru's , due to a learning ecu and higher intake temps. With our NA V8s, run a bottle of Techron fuel-injector cleaner...better way to spend the money.

a64pilot
09-15-05, 07:56 PM
I don't think it is an octane booster. I think it is an O2 bearing substance or at least it seems to claim that. I assume this because it says it won't pass a fuel test. Which implies it alters the specific gravity of the fuel. If it is an 02 bearing substance it could increase power. Nitromethane does this, but I wouldn't put it in my street car. Of course if it is really an 02 bearing substance then it would have to be run at a richer A/F ratio which it claims it dosen't require.
Bottom line, it claims seem to be contridicting. I wouldn't put it in my car for any reason without more info. I fiqure the best you could hope from something like this is that it doesn't do any harm.

Luna.
10-21-05, 06:03 PM
but I can find the name of what I consider to be a credible octane boost if you are interested. I don't remember it off the top of my head.
I'd be interested in knowing what you believe is a credible octane booster (or anyone else for that matter).
I'm told that Turbo 108 is pretty good, but I haven't used it extensively.

urbanski
10-21-05, 06:22 PM
is it toluene?
there was a huge thread on toluene over in the Z06 section of corvetteforum.com
you could search there

Luna.
10-21-05, 10:17 PM
LOL--thanks URB...

I think it took me like 1.5 hrs to read that damn Torco thread over there, not to mention the other links that were on that thread too.

That's the last time I take your advise on research!! :)

Has anyone tried Torco over here (or other "good" octane booster)?

CA pump gas is just so frustrating, as timing has to be (seemingly) so retarded to not knock.

rgd
10-22-05, 01:10 PM
Toluene, isn't that what they put in Red Bull and the other energy drinks?
No, my bad, that's Taurine.
Lol

is it toluene?
there was a huge thread on toluene over in the Z06 section of corvetteforum.com
you could search there

1MEANV
10-22-05, 02:02 PM
octane booster is junk. just my 3 cents,. false advertising. you will get better results by putting moth balls in your tank