: Oil pressure

NORTHSTAR MAFIA
05-19-14, 01:34 AM
Replaced my oil pressure switch with the ac delco one and I still get "OIL PRESSURE LOW STOP ENGINE"

Submariner409
05-19-14, 09:45 AM
Connector, wiring, or the crank pulley bolt is not at the proper torque/degrees of tightness: The oil pump is wrapped around the crank snout and is driven by pulley-to-crank clamping friction on its central drive sleeve (spacer).

Front end off the ground, right wheel and fenderwell liners removed. Flexplate locked (transmission/engine flange lower inspection cover). Pulley bolt goes to 37 lb/ft + 120 degrees. That's TIGHT !

Ranger
05-19-14, 11:13 AM
Did you use an A/C Delco switch?

NORTHSTAR MAFIA
05-19-14, 11:31 AM
Yes I used the ac delco switch

----------

Crank pulley has never been removed

Submariner409
05-19-14, 01:17 PM
Have a local Mom&Pop shop do a mechanical oil pressure test - sending switch out, gauge and test hose used to visually see pressure.

Any nasty knocks or rattles in the engine ? What car, model, year are we diagnosing ??? Please update your profile.

97EldoCoupe
05-19-14, 01:28 PM
This is not an uncommon thing. As Submariner says- very important to do a mechanical pressure check. Minimum pressure is 5 psi at hot idle. Below this will trip the pressure switch. Average what we see is around 8-10 psi at hot idle (lowest reading).

NORTHSTAR MAFIA
05-19-14, 03:00 PM
1998 Deville base.

Ranger
05-19-14, 03:05 PM
You might try pulling the connector and spraying the contacts down and flushing it out real well with Brakleen.

----------

This is not an uncommon thing.
:hmm: It's almost unheard of here. VERY uncommon from what I've seen. :noidea:

NORTHSTAR MAFIA
05-19-14, 04:54 PM
Oh now I see why I'm still getting warnings. The wires that go to connector on the switch got twisted so bad that they are almost broke. And it looks to be no way to save them

Submariner409
05-19-14, 05:45 PM
Junkyard and wire clipper time. Replace the connector and 6" of wiring, solder the wiring, insulate well.

I have to ask this - Did you connect the sending switch THEN thread it into the filter adapter ?

Ranger
05-19-14, 08:43 PM
Sure sounds like it :tisk:

NORTHSTAR MAFIA
05-20-14, 12:55 AM
No I couldn't take the connector off so I unscrewed the switch then unplugged it because nobody had a o-rig for the filter adapter and the dealership said it would have took a week to get the o-rings and it's my only car so I had to do it the hard way and I broke two wires and I can't even pull them down far enough to repair it

97EldoCoupe
05-20-14, 06:30 PM
Those O-Rings are a standard "212" size. Easy to obtain.

Wiring around the connector is usually very delicate, thanks to the proximity of the exhaust manifold in respect to the wiring. 2000+ they started to wrap the wiring much better.

Wire those right back to the PCM if you have to, or find a section that is undamaged to splice into.

----------

:hmm: It's almost unheard of here. VERY uncommon from what I've seen. :noidea:

It's minor but seen it a few times, electrical warnings when oil pressure is still present. Jamie99Concours (another forum member) had the same issue with his Concours. It's worth doing a mechanical check just to verify. His was producing 12psi at idle, still tripping the alarm.

NORTHSTAR MAFIA
05-20-14, 06:35 PM
Looks like I'm going to have to re wire it any useful diagrams anywhere ?

----------

Because I can't get my hands to the wires much less a pair of wire strippers.

Submariner409
05-20-14, 07:42 PM
You'll need a wiring diagram that covers sensors and the PCM.

An 18 or 20 gauge stranded automotive wire will be just fine, and the colors don't matter - neither does the contact "polarity" - it's an ON/OFF 2 pole switch so which wire goes where is immaterial. Splice into the existing body harness somewhere you can peel it back to and go from there.

Here's the 2002 connector - probably same as yours.

NORTHSTAR MAFIA
05-20-14, 08:22 PM
Thanks. Ill do my best to repair it and ill let you know how it goes tomorrow

NORTHSTAR MAFIA
05-22-14, 01:50 AM
So everything went good I changed the connector and she's pumping and jumping like normal. For now anyways. Thanks for the help