: 2002 DTS Spark Plugs

therbs
09-14-05, 05:05 PM
:cheers: hello all, a newbie here.
its time for some new plugs in my dads 2002 dts. am i wrong or are these some sort of iridium plug. i found ngk iridium xp's for $6.99 each. has anyone had good luck with a less expensive plug. i think the oem plugs are about $15 each.
(ouch). thanks in advance
doug

JimD
09-14-05, 06:49 PM
I have to wonder about the mileage on a 2002 vehicle. The OEM platinum plugs are good for at least 100,000 miles.

Is the engine throwing codes??

turbojimmy
09-14-05, 07:32 PM
I second that. The manual says they're good for 100k miles. I guess it's possible for an '02 to have 100k on it though.

Jim

Ranger
09-14-05, 08:23 PM
$15! Does the '02 use different plugs? I only paid $6 each.

JimD
09-14-05, 08:43 PM
$15! Does the '02 use different plugs? I only paid $6 each.

Larry:
IF the '02 engine is the same as my '04, the plug is a 41-987.

Ignition voltage is supplied by 8 coils located / mounted at the spark plug connector(coil-on-plug). I have not priced the plugs.

Ranger
09-14-05, 09:32 PM
I always envisioned COP as a removable coil that attatched to a regular plug much like a plug wire, as opposed to a plug with a coil built into it. Never seen one. Now I am curious. I may get a look at one in a day or so as I saw a white diamond '03 SLS with 21K on it that has peaked my interest. I may stop in and see if they want to deal.

turbojimmy
09-14-05, 09:56 PM
I always envisioned COP as a removable coil that attatched to a regular plug much like a plug wire, as opposed to a plug with a coil built into it. Never seen one. Now I am curious. I may get a look at one in a day or so as I saw a white diamond '03 SLS with 21K on it that has peaked my interest. I may stop in and see if they want to deal.

GM was smart in the way of setting up replacement part revenue. I had one of the coils on my DTS go bad but since it's a single 'cartridge' of 4-coils per side I had to replace all 4 on that cylinder bank. They snap down over the valve cover, on top of 'regular' plugs.

My car only has 50k miles on it, but due to the hard life it has led I had to replace the plugs. I put Bosch platinum plugs in it when I restored it. They're not Delco, but the guy at the autoparts store said they were factory plugs.

Jim

mcowden
09-15-05, 12:08 AM
GM was smart in the way of setting up replacement part revenue. I had one of the coils on my DTS go bad but since it's a single 'cartridge' of 4-coils per side I had to replace all 4 on that cylinder bank. They snap down over the valve cover, on top of 'regular' plugs.

My car only has 50k miles on it, but due to the hard life it has led I had to replace the plugs. I put Bosch platinum plugs in it when I restored it. They're not Delco, but the guy at the autoparts store said they were factory plugs.

Jim

The guy at the auto parts store is a complete idiot. Do yourself a big favor: Rip those Bosch plugs out, take them back and get your money back. OEM plugs are NEVER Bosch, only AC-Delco. For an '02 DTS, the plugs you need are AC-Delco part number 41-987. They're about $6 each. That's it. No others, especially not Bosch. Those things are junk.

turbojimmy
09-15-05, 06:11 AM
The guy at the auto parts store is a complete idiot. Do yourself a big favor: Rip those Bosch plugs out, take them back and get your money back. OEM plugs are NEVER Bosch, only AC-Delco. For an '02 DTS, the plugs you need are AC-Delco part number 41-987. They're about $6 each. That's it. No others, especially not Bosch. Those things are junk.

I figured that, but at the time it was plausible because I know Bosch manufactures other parts for GM that are branded Delco. They seem to work okay - I've had them in there for 6 months. If the car misbehaves I'll swap them out but I'm not going looking for trouble at this point.

Jim

davesdeville
09-15-05, 08:38 AM
What's the differance between 41-950 and 41-987?

mcowden
09-15-05, 10:48 AM
What's the differance between 41-950 and 41-987?

The difference is 37. :D

therbs
09-15-05, 04:37 PM
my dads car has almost 90 k on it and he is heading down to florida in a couple months for the winter. also going to do a h2o belt and fuel filter. i know its a little early to do the plugs, but if he needed them changed down in fla. he might need to take out a home equity loan to pay for parts/labor