: Oil change

Lark
09-14-05, 01:27 PM
I am a new owner of a V6 SRX and am loving it. I have been told that the new Caddys only need an oil change every 10-12 months, depending upon wear/etc. and that it involves replacement of a "cartridge" with synthetic (Mobil) oil for approx. $85.00. My husband (a true gear head) is suspicious of this concept and although he will go along with "synthetic" oil, he has his doubts about the cartridge. What is your experience with oil changes? Is there, in fact, an actual cartridge that gets replaced? Also, the dealership tells me that this is the only check up needed during the first year. Huh?

sgilbert
09-14-05, 02:14 PM
Can't speak for the V6, but my Northstar V8 takes a standard oil filter. Yes, Mobil 1.

I'd recommend changing the 1st time at 3,000 miles, but after that, let the computer decide. I usually go 7-8,000 miles before the computer says I'm at around 15% oil life left. I change my own oil--quite easy if you have a large enough drain pan. I get my Mobil 1 at Sam's Club for $25.88/6 qts. (Mine takes 7.5 qts).

Routine check-ups are a joke! Take it back when/if you have trouble! Who lubes their hood hinges?

StealthyCTS
09-14-05, 02:28 PM
My wifes's SRX has less than 2,000 mile on it, so I haven't changed the oil yet. But seeing as it has the same 3.6 V6 in it that my CTS has I can say that changing the oil will be easier than any other car you've owned.

Yes, there is a filter cartridge accessible from the top right side of the engine. The cartridge cover spins off pulling the crtridge with it. Simply pull out the old cartridge, put in the new one, spin it back on, drain the oil and fill with new. On my CTS I don't even have to jack up the car to drain the oil, as the plug is accessible from behind the front passenger wheel. Just use a ratchet extension. No fuss no muss.

I change my oil every 7,500 miles whether it needs it or not - that's about every 10 months for me. For about $30 to $35, that's not to bad.

djfcars
09-14-05, 03:55 PM
I have a thing about letting the general tell me when to change the oil. I change my oil every 3,000 miles. Why? because its cheap, and it easy to do.

Mobil 1 is what I use. I only use dino oils in my older cars.

The choice is yours do- what you feel is right.

djfcars

inline6
09-14-05, 08:11 PM
There is an oil life indicator included as one of the numerous choices in the DTC (radio). Oil life, according to the car's computer, in normal driving is ~ 10K miles. Our SRX does not get a lot of miles and I change it about every 6 months; at that point it is showing slightly less than 50% oil life. You will never hurt the motor by changing the oil too often.

Mobil One is a good oil and you never have an issue with warranty service if you use it and the cartridge filter which is accessed from the top on the V6 is probably the cleanest filter change I have ever done.

You will never hurt the motor by changing the oil too often.

Lark
09-15-05, 01:08 PM
Thank you all! I will print out your responses and give it to my husband, who has already decided that he's going to do this himself. He has a '99 STS, but this new SRX is quite different in many ways.