: LS7 in the CT-VR

ahahnu
09-14-05, 09:50 AM
I dunno if anyone reads HOT ROD, but I was skimming it this morn, when I came across an article about the LS7 being in last years CTS-VR. I thought in pervious articles that I read quoted them as having the LS6. Correct me if I'm wrong. It was aid to have 4.6L truck crankshafts, then fashioned a big bore, short stoke version that "far exceeded the potential of the stock LS6." Any engine gurus wanna put that into english, or comment on that. They also said that the car started from that last position to lap the field during the race. Can anyone say crate motor swap?

kimcheejeegae
09-14-05, 12:28 PM
I dunno if anyone reads HOT ROD, but I was skimming it this morn, when I came across an article about the LS7 being in last years CTS-VR. I thought in pervious articles that I read quoted them as having the LS6. Correct me if I'm wrong. It was aid to have 4.6L truck crankshafts, then fashioned a big bore, short stoke version that "far exceeded the potential of the stock LS6." Any engine gurus wanna put that into english, or comment on that. They also said that the car started from that last position to lap the field during the race. Can anyone say crate motor swap?

The CTS-VRs use the LS6..the C6 Vette Lemans cars run the LS7.

link (http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/cadillac_ctsv_race.asp)

PneuBird
09-14-05, 12:35 PM
Chuck Mallet has bought up all the first create motors.......We will never be able to get one for a looooooooog time!!!! :thehand:

04CTSVforMe
09-14-05, 03:54 PM
I thought the GM V8 race cars have been using a modified version of the LS6 engine made into a 427 which was the basis for the production LS7 and the C6, CTS-VR and the GTO's are all using the same engine (essentially). :confused:

Geno
09-14-05, 09:27 PM
I thought the GM V8 race cars have been using a modified version of the LS6 engine made into a 427 which was the basis for the production LS7 and the C6, CTS-VR and the GTO's are all using the same engine (essentially). :confused:

The CTS-VR are using the LS6 (modded). They are definitely not using a 427 motor (ala LS7), otherwise they would of won the SCCA championship and put the Porsches away long ago...unless the SCCA decided to add 800 pounds and a 30mm throttle body to keep them from winning.

Dave's V
09-14-05, 11:23 PM
Actually, the current CTS VR uses the LS2 and Speed GT cars are limited to 500hp. They did use the LS6 before. Here is the car's spec sheet. It even says it on the literature they give you at the race.

http://www.world-challenge.com/competitors/vts/05-vts-cadillac-ctsv-rev1.pdf

VIPRETR
09-15-05, 12:58 AM
I don't have a V and I'm only replying because I actually read that article. The CTS-VR did indeed run a modified version of the LS7 during the first season. It states, in the article, that they used this as the test bed for the motor. After the first race they were saddled with extra weight and smaller restrictor plates (and something else too, I think lower shift points...I don't have the mag in front of me). They would not comment on any specific power numbers due to the fact that the other manufacturers were already up in arms over the cars outstanding performance. I'm not normally in the habit of correcting posts but there seems to be alot of misinformation flying around...if the article is correct ;)