: Northstars & oil consumption...are there "good" & "bad" motors?

JohnnyLfromCT
11-25-03, 03:05 PM
I ask this because the Northstar in my '98 STS only burns about 1/4 -1/2 a quart of oil every 1000 miles or so.

It doesn't seem to make a difference how hard I drive it either - I drove it like Miss Daisy for 1000 miles, & it burned about a 1/2 quart...

I took her almost to redline at least once a day for another 1000 miles, & it burned about a 1/2 quart...

I'm not complaining of course, as I'd rather have her NOT burn oil, but is it normal for some N'Stars to not burn much oil?

zonie77
11-25-03, 04:42 PM
A couple of questions... How many miles and what oil do you use?

JohnnyLfromCT
11-26-03, 08:27 AM
A couple of questions... How many miles and what oil do you use?

Almost 75,000 miles, & I use Mobil 1.

Jesda
11-26-03, 11:55 PM
I have been informed that people assume their N* engines burn oil because they keep overfilling it. Youre supposed to check the oil level when the engine is hot. So someone checks the dipstick cold, finds that its "low", and fills it up a quart. Drive it around, it burns, and it all starts over.

kcnewell
11-30-03, 10:26 PM
The N/Stars are meant to be driven HARD from the get go. If you bought your car used and if the person that had it babied it.... He/She did you no favor. The ones that are babied from the beginning tend to use a little more oil on average. That being said, The N/Star is a thirsty engine and it is not unusual for it to consume more oil than you are used to seeing your cars use.It is normal for a N/Star to use oil as long as it's not leaking or smoking you generally do not have a problem.

Dubya
12-05-03, 03:57 PM
got a question, i know it isn't rare for a northstar to also leak oil, was this "fixed" on the 2000+ engines?