: trouble with spark from coil packs

caddy1994
05-16-14, 10:49 PM
I have a 1994Cadillac Eldorado and my coil pack plate keepa going out it will run fine and start fine for a few hours than it just cranks but wont start so i went to the junk yard and got a replacement coil pack plate where ther the coils sit on and it started right up again worked fine than it started doing the same thing again so my question is why does this keep happening any help would be great thanks

Submariner409
05-17-14, 07:57 AM
Is the ground wire from the ICM (Ignition Control Module - your "coil plate") to the engine block properly connected ?

Each coil tower must be connected to its proper plug, and the plug wires need to be in perfect condition - a new AC Delco wireset might help.

caddy1994
05-17-14, 10:31 AM
I will check the ground and than i will also go ahead and change the plugs is there anything else yiu can think of that might be doing this or causing it also thanks for the diagram very helpful

Ranger
05-17-14, 10:54 AM
Just for technicalities sake, there is no such thing as a "coil pack plate". You're talking about the ICM.

I'm with Sub, the ground is the first thing that comes to mind.

Harry Yarnell
05-25-14, 02:33 PM
Are you sure it's an ignition problem?

caddy1994
05-25-14, 04:56 PM
Yes ive pulled two wires off of a coil pack and no spark at all i changed my crank shaft sensor and cam shaft sensor and it atarted up but dont want to get suck somewhere in it

Submariner409
05-25-14, 05:31 PM
Long shot and a guess - but once in a while the ICM ("coil pack" base) develops a crack in the circuit board.

The things are (or used to be) a dime a dozen at junkyards.