: Old Fuel Rail Vs. New Fuel Rail

Jonny5
09-12-05, 12:46 PM
How importsnt is it to get the plastic fuel rail in a 95 sls changed to the steel one. Is it that bad? What will happen if it doesn't get changed? Will Caddy still do it for free? Input is appreciated!

tolooka
09-12-05, 09:14 PM
I contacted my nearest dealer and they couldn't find a time limit on it...so it should still be available, and might as well, I think they cover all the costs...have heard of the plastic ones failing and causing a fire. Mines a 97 sls with the plastic yet, as soon as the rebuilt is up and running in it I'll be taking it in.

Ranger
09-12-05, 09:34 PM
The replacement is important. As tolooka said if it leaks, there is a great potential for fire. There is no time limit on the recall and Cadillac will do it for free.

94greencaddysls
09-12-05, 09:48 PM
Dont think i have had this done on my car as i dont remember seeing anything resembling a metal line when taking the cover off. I have a 94 sls, any idea how i could tell if this has been done?

Ranger
09-12-05, 09:52 PM
'94 was not included in the recall. Recall is for '95 - '97.

Closet Boy
09-13-05, 01:49 AM
I was unaware such a recall existed. About two months ago, I replaced a fuel line between two injectors on the left bank. It was leaking so bad that you could smell the gas 10ft away from the car.

The fuel line in question was a thin and hard plastic material. I replaced it with a regular fuel hose, and clamped both ends.

davesdeville
09-13-05, 05:05 AM
Well get it to the nearest dealer and have them replace that with a stainless rail for free... That repair is prone to leaking and the rest of the rail is too.

94greencaddysls
09-13-05, 04:42 PM
Ehh sucks for me. My car has a 1995 motor in it due to the headgasket fairlure. Seriously doubt they will honor it. Anyone know where the vin is on the motor or anything to identify it?

mtflight
09-14-05, 01:37 PM
Ehh sucks for me. My car has a 1995 motor in it due to the headgasket fairlure. Seriously doubt they will honor it. Anyone know where the vin is on the motor or anything to identify it?

There IS a VIN on the engine, I believe. Does not hurt to ask, call the 1800 number for Cadillac and ask them. Let them know you have a 95 engine in a 94 car.

Closet Boy
09-14-05, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the info. I visited my local dealership today and had the service advisor check my VIN. Yes, I do need the new rail. I will take it in this week. Cheers!

Enygma
09-17-05, 03:29 PM
Greetings,
Since there is no possibility of getting Cadillac to replace the fuel rail in my '53 Ford Panellac. Would someone offer the approximate cost to have this replaced? What parts need to be replaced? Would it be a straightforward project for an average mechanic or would a pro need to do it? Any other info would be appreciated

Thanks,
~Scott
http://www.hevanet.com/enygma/

Ranger
09-17-05, 04:52 PM
Pretty straight forward. You need the new fuel rail and a new FPR. No idea of the cost.

Enygma
09-17-05, 04:58 PM
Thanks, Ranger. I'll do some checking.
~Scott

eldorado1
09-17-05, 05:08 PM
It's like $150+ for just the rail... For those of you with engine swaps, just go to a "u pull it" junk yard, and browse for VINs. My local caddy dealer was more than happy to give me a fuel rail for a caddy doomed for the crusher. Just walked in, told them my problem, handed them the vin, walked out with a box :)

Enygma
09-17-05, 06:51 PM
Thanks, eldorado1.

While researching this issue, I came across a warning to not start the engine while the cosmetic engine cover is off. I can find no explanation for this warning. Can someone provide the reason for this warning? What makes this cover so necessary?

I ask because I was planning on not using this cosmetic cover on my Northstar. I find it ugly, the manifild has an esthetic appeal to me and I would assume the cover would hold in heat.

If the cover is necessary, are there modifications that can be done which would remove the need for this cover?

So, any info? Again, any and all information is greatly appreciated.

Enjoy,
~Scott

http://www.hevanet.com/enygma

eldorado1
09-17-05, 07:38 PM
Thanks, eldorado1.
Can someone provide the reason for this warning? What makes this cover so necessary?

This is just for '93-94 engines. Their "beauty cover" is actually part of the intake manifold. Removing it is just like removing the throttle body - the engine would hit the revlimiter if you started it up that way.

The later '95+ beauty covers are just cosmetic, and can be removed with the 4 nuts. No problems there. You might get a little bit more injector noise though, the cover is meant to supress that (while looking good). :)

Enygma
09-17-05, 07:40 PM
Thanks, again, for your response/info. I am glad I still have the option of going without this cover.

Enjoy,
~Scott

eldorado1
09-17-05, 07:49 PM
Yeah, I don't use it. Looks ugly. I like seeing the intake runners http://cadillacforums.com/forums/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

dratts1
09-18-05, 11:36 AM
Does this mean that 98's and up have metal rails?

eldorado1
09-18-05, 11:41 AM
AFAIK, they have revised plastic rails. I think 2000+ has metal rails. I'd still be a little concerned with the 98 and 99 myself...