: Oil Leaks

Boombottz
09-11-05, 10:55 PM
I just recently purchased a 2002 STS. The car is cherry, it was a one owner off lease according to Carfax with 18900 miles. It is leaving 2 to 3 inch diameter circles of motor or transaxle oil on my driveway overnight.

I took it back to the dealer (CarMax) after 5 days, they could find no leaks and assured me that all levels are O.K. It appears to still be leaving some spots of oil overnight.

My question is... Anyone else experiencing oil leak problems on similar vintage vehicles, what can I expect, and where should I look for common problems.

As I stated above, the car is cherry otherwise, I hope this is an easy fix.

davesdeville
09-12-05, 05:47 AM
Hopefully you're not afraid of getting a little dirty and physically looking to see where the leak is coming from. If you can't tell because there's road dirt and grime, wipe it off and look again the day after.

Boombottz
09-12-05, 08:36 PM
I spent 32 years getting dirty for a living, and you are probably right. If you want it done right do it yourself. I was hoping for a competent mechanic, but they are very rare indeed. I had to take the Carmax tech supervisor for a ride to convince him the STS had a wheel balance and front end problem. When I take it in for alignment and balancing this Wednesday, I am taking him some photos of my now polka dotted driveway. Their first reply was it might have to go back to a Caddie dealer since it is still under factory warranty, then said there are no leaks. Thanks for the tip, and if you or anyone know of any inherent leaking probs with this model, please advise. I expect some inconvenience with a newly purchased used car, I am sure it will work out. I really like the car, my first Cadillac. The threads in this forum seem to be very informative. I am certainly not looking forward to changing the cabin air filter.:o

JWH
10-24-05, 01:23 PM
the Northstar engine is notorious for the seals leaking. Caddy dealer quoted me 1800 to 2400 to put in new seals. But I love the car so am going to have it done.

powerglide
10-26-05, 03:25 PM
Yeah n* leak sometimes but dripping that much may be a bit excessive.
If its under warrantly I'd take it to the dealer asap. (find a reputable one...there's dealer review section here too)

also curious...how did you end up with the screename boombottz?

Boombottz
10-26-05, 08:38 PM
Coworkers stuck me with that handle over 30 years ago. Dr. Vinny Boombottz. Rodney's doctor. First name Vinny, used to be into all kind of health supps. herbs and body building etc. So it stuck:o