: Cadillac Accountability

David Topus
11-24-03, 11:52 PM
Hi. I am new to the forum community, and I really just registered with the hope that someone in it will be able to provide some assistance to what has become an enormously aggravating and frustrating situation.

I have a '97 Eldorado with 106,000 miles. I've had it for four years and it is my third Caddy. I really like it, but it has had many, many mechanical (and other) problems, especially in the last year and a half. Over the life of the vehicle it has been in the shop 20+ times, and I have personally run close to $10,000 in repairs since 60,000 miles. Luckily some of it was covered by an extended warranty. Now the car won't start and the dealer tells me the entire electrical/computer system isn't working, so they don't even know why. The dealership (even after ALL the work they've done on the car and the revenues they've gotten from it) is charging me $87 an hour -- JUST TO TRY TO FIND OUT WHAT'S WRONG. I want to buy another Caddy (a 2001 STS) but they won't even talk to me about the trade in value of the Eldo until they figure out what's wrong.

But here 's the rub: Cadillac corporate won't give me an ounce of consideration for my trouble. Despite the fact that the car has been a mechanical disaster, and that I've had all the repairs done at a Cadillac authorized dealer, AND the fact THAT I WANT TO BUY ANOTHER ONE, they basically are telling me it's too bad. Is it possible that this company, trying to uphold a quality brand, would wash its hands of a car with 100K miles, period??? I mean, is that how long they think their cars will last? How much time and money does a customer have to spend on a $46,000 vehicle before the company steps in and has some accountability. I'm not even asking for much -- just some kind of consideration for the trouble, and to keep my as a loyal customer. Would they really rather have me agreeing with most people who say "never buy a Caddy"??? Could they possibly be so short-sighted as to alienate an otherwise loyal and enthusiastic customer -- one who would give them the benefit of the doubt in terms of buying another car????

Shame on them I say. For nominal financial consideration (helping pay to figure out what's wrong with the Eldo so I can at least trade it in), or perhaps a coupon for discount on the next car, or even an extended warranty on the next one, I'd be a happy Cadillac owner. Unfortunately, they are telling me it's my tough luck and that they have no accountability for a vehicle with over 100K miles. If that's how long they expect their cars to last then they deserve what they get reputation-wise. But still, I can't believe they would take that position.

2000STS
11-29-03, 11:23 PM
Get over it buddy. That's the way it seems to be. I too was surprised by Cadillac's reaction to a situation I thought would embarass them to the point of helping out. Not a chance...once the warranty is over it would seem they really don't care. The only way to teach them the error of their ways is to buy offshore and cut into their market share...um...wait a minute...that is exactly what is happening and they are so thick they can't see it.

kcnewell
11-29-03, 11:29 PM
Get over it buddy. That's the way it seems to be. I too was surprised by Cadillac's reaction to a situation I thought would embarass them to the point of helping out. Not a chance...once the warranty is over it would seem they really don't care. The only way to teach them the error of their ways is to buy offshore and cut into their market share...wait a minute...that is exactly what is happening and they are so thick they can't see it.

I thought we got rid of this fool!

elwesso
11-30-03, 12:27 AM
So your saying that the regional section of cadillac wont give you any recognition!!!! BS!

If thats true, then im really sorry.....

From what I can see, I can gather 2 things; You are a die hard cadilac buyer, and you only need minimal attention to get another cadillac...

Unfortunately, they dont really have any accountability on your car..... However, youd think theyd have a little more respect......

Is there a possibility the dealer sucks??? Could you try and let another dealer give it a try..... Also, most independent shops that are ASE and ACdelco certified will be able to handle jobs like this on your eldo!!!

You could also choose to tackle this yourself, and im sure that we will be able to help you through it!!!!!

2000STS
11-30-03, 10:31 AM
I thought we got rid of this fool!

Mr. Newell,

If you would kindly remove your red neck from the hot Nevada sand and look at the numbers you would realize there must be something done. American manufacturers are getting blown away by the imports. More and more people will not buy American simply because they are told they should to save American jobs. They are tired of being ignored when they have problems with their vehicles then find out they are problems that the manufacturer knows about but will not fix. The higher end imports, including Toyota and Honda, seem (perception is reality) to care about quality and actually respond to consumers concerns and remedy the faults.

What other reason would one buy a Toyota Camry and not a Chevy Malibu? Are they all left wing weaklings? With GM’s current incentive plans the Malibu is $2400 cheaper plus any tax savings on that $2400. So, it would appear that many Americans are prepared to pay more for what they perceive to be better quality despite the flag waving which compels them to buy American products. Keep in mind the American manufacturers had a huge head start in this race.

The ironic thing here is I am hoping with my “little agenda” I will get to someone at GM and have them realize what is going on in the trenches. There seems to be only so far up the ladder the average consumer can go. To me a rusting three year old Caddy should not be. I think that if someone other than at the clerk level knew about it they would react. So my ultimate goal is to improve GM’s reaction to potentially damaging situations and ultimately improve the perception of the quality of their vehicles.

Thank you,

00STS

To Compare the Malibu and Camry - http://www.gmbuypower.com/compare.bp?make=Chevrolet&model=Malibu&makeId=001&modelId=032&year=2004&subModelId=67&subModel=

elwesso
11-30-03, 10:40 AM
I agree... Cadillac does need to get their act together..... And there is no use in trying to sugar coat everything, you gotta see it how it really is..... Cadillac has been making some pretty half ass cars (but I still like em), and to be considered a top contender they need to take it up a notch.... Not only in the area of quality, but mostly in customer satisfaction..... Have you ever heard of the "infiniti total ownership experience"....? Well, when you take your car to the dealer they treat you like you just bought a brand new 60k car, even though you might have a 10 year old car... Cadillac doesnt ALWAYS do this (i live by a VERY good cadillac dealer, and always are eager to help out).....

BeelzeBob
11-30-03, 11:27 AM
Lexus is like this as well. If you bring in a 1990 LS400, they treat you the same as if you brought in an '03 LS430.

In any regards, I think the NEW Cadillac's are going to be everything as good as all the new Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc.. It's just (I hope) the older models they're going to have trouble with. And they can't just leave these owners out to dry. These are the people who are going to be buying these new, better-made models..

Word of mouth goes a long way - and bad word goes much further... If they want to keep their customers - and compete - they need to start going the extra mile NOW - now when these NEW models have 100,000 miles...

kcnewell
11-30-03, 12:28 PM
Mr. Newell,

If you would kindly remove your red neck from the hot Nevada sand and look at the numbers you would realize there must be something done. To Compare the Malibu and Camry - http://www.gmbuypower.com/compare.bp?make=Chevrolet&model=Malibu&makeId=001&modelId=032&year=2004&subModelId=67&subModel=

My red neck ( As you ignorantly refer to it ) Is not buried in anything but total satisfaction with the Cadillacs that I have owned ( With but one exception/ HT4100 ) I and everyone I know have had nothing but excellent service from our cars over a long period of time. ( I have owned Cadillacs for thirty plus years ) I'm not particularly interested in the numbers as I feel that they are not reflective of the true quality of the automobiles as they are of the perception ( however artificial ) that the imports are somehow better. I don't see a lot of evidence of this other than a small circle of whiners on the internet and about the same percentage levels of whiners in the real world. ( Usually in my expeience They are people that don't take very good care of their cars anyway )

I have visited your site and I find it to be ridiculous and shrill and more of a magnet for whiners that just want to cry about american cars that they know little or nothing about than any kind of constructive format for changing what has already gone most of the way in the direction that you think you can make it go with your bleating. I have seen NO evidence from you of any affection for the cars so I hardly would ever consider you an enthusiast.

brougham
11-30-03, 03:14 PM
Getting back to the original post, you're probably not going to get much help at all out of GM and you probably wouldn't get much help out of any other make either if it was another kind of car. The way they see it is that the car is almost 7 years old and you bought it used. Is the problem you're having with it now common on them? If it is then you'd hope they'd do something for you
:disappoin

Vesicant
11-30-03, 05:02 PM
Well in your situation, if you want Any money out of this deal... that would be to give it to a technical school so they can work on it... and i believe that they will pay you for the car as-is usually. Not sure but its a good bet.

catbert
11-30-03, 05:18 PM
Hi. I am new to the forum community, and I really just registered with the hope that someone in it will be able to provide some assistance to what has become an enormously aggravating and frustrating situation.

I have a '97 Eldorado with 106,000 miles. I've had it for four years and it is my third Caddy. I really like it, but it has had many, many mechanical (and other) problems, especially in the last year and a half. Over the life of the vehicle it has been in the shop 20+ times, and I have personally run close to $10,000 in repairs since 60,000 miles. Luckily some of it was covered by an extended warranty. Now the car won't start and the dealer tells me the entire electrical/computer system isn't working, so they don't even know why. The dealership (even after ALL the work they've done on the car and the revenues they've gotten from it) is charging me $87 an hour -- JUST TO TRY TO FIND OUT WHAT'S WRONG. I want to buy another Caddy (a 2001 STS) but they won't even talk to me about the trade in value of the Eldo until they figure out what's wrong.

But here 's the rub: Cadillac corporate won't give me an ounce of consideration for my trouble. Despite the fact that the car has been a mechanical disaster, and that I've had all the repairs done at a Cadillac authorized dealer, AND the fact THAT I WANT TO BUY ANOTHER ONE, they basically are telling me it's too bad. Is it possible that this company, trying to uphold a quality brand, would wash its hands of a car with 100K miles, period??? I mean, is that how long they think their cars will last? How much time and money does a customer have to spend on a $46,000 vehicle before the company steps in and has some accountability. I'm not even asking for much -- just some kind of consideration for the trouble, and to keep my as a loyal customer. Would they really rather have me agreeing with most people who say "never buy a Caddy"??? Could they possibly be so short-sighted as to alienate an otherwise loyal and enthusiastic customer -- one who would give them the benefit of the doubt in terms of buying another car????

Shame on them I say. For nominal financial consideration (helping pay to figure out what's wrong with the Eldo so I can at least trade it in), or perhaps a coupon for discount on the next car, or even an extended warranty on the next one, I'd be a happy Cadillac owner. Unfortunately, they are telling me it's my tough luck and that they have no accountability for a vehicle with over 100K miles. If that's how long they expect their cars to last then they deserve what they get reputation-wise. But still, I can't believe they would take that position.

I'd hate to be you, but the truth is that I've never heard of any manufacturer making good on repair for a vehicle over 100,000 miles UNLESS THERE WAS A DEFECT THAT COULD BE A LEGAL LIABILITY FOR THEM. Now the dealer is a different story. I can't imagine any dealer treating a current, let alone a potential near-term buyer like that. Hell, if I was the General Manager of the dealership, I'd give you wholesale for your ride against a new Caddy, like they probably would anyway. Then I'd tell the service manager that he has one day to find out the problem with the trade-in or his replacement would get the opportunity.

Seriously, I'm driving my 39th car, and I've never had non recall warranty work of any magnitude covered by the factory especially at those miles. Sometimes the dealer will fudge for the goodwill, but not the factory. I'd say you have a dealer problem...any dealer who can't diagnose a problem these days should not be in business.

You have a bad dealership, and there is a lot of that going around. IMHO BTW - I'm having a similar problem with an Acura dealer who can't find a defect in a 2004 Acura. bouncer:

SLS97
11-30-03, 11:35 PM
Cadillac's accountability is for and with the 1st buyer/owner. When a Cadillac is purchased used the accountability is with the dealer, they made the profit from the sale. When the warranty is over, it's over.

gothicaleigh
12-01-03, 02:17 PM
The car has over 100k miles on it! No company in the world will gaurantee their vehicle that long. 100k is a nice long lifespan for a car. Can it last longer? Yes, if it was well maintained and taken care of. Unfortunately 90% of the cars out there do not fit this description, so no business is going to back a car with that many miles.

kcnewell
12-01-03, 09:13 PM
It's nice to see that some people around here have some COMMON SENSE! ( In reference to the last few posts. )

elwesso
12-01-03, 09:19 PM
I dont know why people think that they should expect cadillac to take care of their problems well after warranty.... Sure, I dont think these things should happen, but they do!

However, that doesnt mean you deserve some respect..... I dont think they should have disregarded you, especailly since you want to buy another cadillac!