: Visor warning stickers...

Joey'sVee
09-10-05, 10:35 PM
Did anyone figure out how to take the warning stickers off? I tried with a hair dryer and it started coming off but looks kinda bad so I stopped. :nono: I was able to scratch it off some but it didn't wanna peel. It may though...I just didn't want to mess with it much cuzz I was skeered I would mess it up. :banghead:

Any ideas???

urbanski
09-10-05, 10:47 PM
i tried isopropyl alcohol, wd40, degreaser, scraping...they won't budge.

lasstss
09-10-05, 11:25 PM
They are heat set, dont bother you will wreck your visor.
Get a couple of sick ones and cover them. Sold on e bay.
:lildevil:

slow35th
09-11-05, 12:08 AM
They are heat set, dont bother you will wreck your visor.
Get a couple of sick ones and cover them. Sold on e bay.
:lildevil:

We need to have Wildwhl make some up for us specific to the V.

Example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-CORVETTE-ZO6-Speed-Warning-2002-2003-2004-02-03-04_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6779QQitemZ799821224 7QQrdZ1

Joey'sVee
09-11-05, 12:27 AM
We need to have Wildwhl make some up for us specific to the V.

Example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-CORVETTE-ZO6-Speed-Warning-2002-2003-2004-02-03-04_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6779QQitemZ799821224 7QQrdZ1

I wish someone would make some. I bet they could make a little money too.:green:

lasstss
09-11-05, 08:55 PM
For the maggie guys, my favorite..

wildwhl
09-11-05, 09:30 PM
Piece of cake.

Whadya guys want it to say :D

"This is a Cadillac perfromance vehicle, it is not an uber-toy. The operator and passengers should be prepared for the occasional clunk, all too often rear cradle banging, mistreatment by dealer service staff, and potential total destruction of the rear differential should the driver attempt to destroy any vehicle next to him. However, under most circumstances, this V-series automobile will simply eat the prey chosen and move onto the next victim, leaving the driver with a $h1T eatting grin to erase from his face."

ace996
09-11-05, 09:34 PM
Yes...that's exactly what I want....That would be great!!!

MLV
09-11-05, 09:38 PM
I'll take four. :)

wildwhl
09-11-05, 09:38 PM
There's only one problem.

My driver side visor has been replaced twice for the same reason - and the new one - only a week old - had the upholstery coming out AGAIN on the right hand side of the Homelink(TM) buttons. Yes, I could (and will) fix it this time...but if you need to get your visor replaced and the dealer realizes it is "modified" will it then void your warranty on that part :histeric:

slow35th
09-11-05, 10:33 PM
I am goin' to chance modding my visor and being bounced for warranty work.:lildevil: Lets think of something good to put on the overlays.

CVP33
09-11-05, 10:35 PM
I think a thin sheet of stainless or aluminum with the V logo engraved would look great, but what do I know? :rolleyes:

Joey'sVee
09-11-05, 10:38 PM
If we put a sticker on the visor and need to take it in for waranty work we could just take the sticker you make back off. What is something good. I say Make a siler sticker with a big V on it. I'm not to sure I want some cheesy saying on it. What do you guys think?

cram
09-11-05, 11:12 PM
I like the idea of a sticker with a V on it. I'd definitely buy some.

wildwhl
09-11-05, 11:23 PM
Time to play with the laser cutter/engraver again I suppose. I know of some brushed aluminum label stock (actually aluminum, but very thin with adhesive back) that I believe we could simply engrave a V logo onto...but quite frankly am not sure how soon I can "play" with this ;)

Joey'sVee
09-12-05, 09:28 AM
When you get something just let me know! jmed99@hotmail.com. Thanks!

KillerVette
09-12-05, 12:48 PM
Sorry man....they looked and felt just like the vette visor stickers i took off.

RobertCTS
09-12-05, 12:56 PM
My 2 cents. Recover them using the headliner material. No more tacky stickers.

Joey'sVee
09-12-05, 01:52 PM
Sorry man....they looked and felt just like the vette visor stickers i took off.

It's no big deal. Can't really tell I tried to take them off. Those bad boys aren't comming off...I think they are silk screened. Anyways. Glad to see you posting! :cool2:

odysseus
09-12-05, 02:30 PM
GM must have changed these in '04, as my very early '03 CTS (2/02 build date) had vinyl stickers on the visors. They peeled right off.

RobertCTS
09-12-05, 02:51 PM
Has anyone replaced the visor material? What might it cost to have it reupholstered? I think the Headliner material is a good choice vs the tacky smooth plastic on the OEM visor.

V-Love
09-12-05, 09:52 PM
I am in for some stickers when/if available. Recovering would be ideal but its hard to find skilled workers these days.

jspridge
09-14-05, 10:19 PM
They come off - you just need the right product for the job.

Sorry I didn't post earlier, but I wanted to make sure that my technique would produce the desired result. Here's a preview of my progress...

Keep in mind as you view the photos that I only took off the label about 30 minutes ago. By the end of the day tomorrow, you should not be able to see much if any of the outline of the label.

Joey'sVee
09-14-05, 10:23 PM
sooooo how did you do it?

jspridge
09-14-05, 10:42 PM
Here is the proper technique:

IMPORTANT: The original Goof Off - the one in the metal can, is the only product that I know of that will peel this warning label without damaging the vinyl in any way. Be sure you are using the original "Goof Off", and not "Goof Off 2", "Goo Gone", or any other sticker/label remover.

If you can, remove your visors for the entire operation.

The warning label is applied in layers, so any part of the warning label that is yellow, red, or black is significantly harder to remove than the white part. Soak part of a rag in the Goof Off, and apply the product liberally to about 1/4 of the warning label surface and rub it in. As soon as the product dries, put some fresh Goof Off on the same spot and you will see the warning label start to bubble. At this point you should be able to start to rub off the label.

Once the entire rubbery surface of the warning label is removed, soak a cotton rag in goof off and let the rag sit on the dark rectangle for a minute or two. Rub the area with the rag and then wipe it dry with a dry rag. Repeat until the residue is gone. Your visor will crinkle and the vinyl will seem very loose. At this point it looks like the visor is ruined but it is not. Once the label residue is completely removed, wash the vinyl with soap and water to remove any traces of solvent. Sit the visor in the hot sun for 10-15 minutes and the vinyl will tighten up like new. Treat with vinyl conditioner and reinstall visors. Viola - no more warning label and the vinyl is as good as new.

Since it is night time right now, I had to substitute the heat of a hair dryer for the heat of the sun. Once my car sits in sun in the office parking lot tomorrow, the label and the loose vinyl will be a distant memory.

jspridge
09-14-05, 10:51 PM
I just went out and took another look at the finished product. In the time it took me to write up the instructions, the vinyl has tightened up the rest of the way. You cannot tell that the label was ever there, and the vinyl is in perfect condition.

By the way - the label took about 20 minutes to remove, and I used the hair dryer on high/hot for about 15 minutes to shrink the vinyl.

RobertCTS
09-15-05, 06:15 AM
Thanks for the tip!!:thumbsup: Weren't you a little concerned when you saw the vinyl stretching and wrinkling?

rand49er
09-15-05, 08:33 AM
There goes your warranty :lildevil: !

Joey'sVee
09-15-05, 10:01 AM
When I used a hair dryer to try to remove the labels the vinyl expanded and got a little loose. It didn't shrink it...it did the opposite.

jspridge
09-15-05, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the tip!!:thumbsup: Weren't you a little concerned when you saw the vinyl stretching and wrinkling?

I was a little worried, but I've actually done this before with another brand of car. The only thing I didn't know was whether the vinyl on this headrest would be as resiliant after the treatment as the BMW headrests that I had done this to before. Since I wanted to contribute something worthwhile to the forum, I decided to try this, even if I would have to replace the visor if it didn't work.

Tonight I will remove the warning label from the driver's visor - the one with the Homelink transmitter. I just had this one replaced because the vinyl was pulling away from the transmitter on the old visor, so I'm a little more concerned about this one. So please - no one try this technique on the visor with Homelink until I verify that you won't have any problems with the vinyl after it returns to normal. I'll continue to update this thread as I make progress.

jspridge
09-15-05, 10:05 AM
When I used a hair dryer to try to remove the labels the vinyl expanded and got a little loose. It didn't shrink it...it did the opposite.

The hair dryer works - just remember that the vinyl gets loose in this technique because of the application of a mild solvent to remove the warning label. The heat from the hair dryer/sun will tighten it back up, but the label must be removed before you apply the heat.

RobertCTS
09-15-05, 03:23 PM
The hair dryer works - just remember that the vinyl gets loose in this technique because of the application of a mild solvent to remove the warning label. The heat from the hair dryer/sun will tighten it back up, but the label must be removed before you apply the heat.

jspridge,
I see you're from Hebron, Ohio. That's a short ride to join us for our Ohio Meet October 1st at German Village. You should join us!:yup: A lot of CTS-V owners will be there! http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45564

Bob

jspridge
09-15-05, 03:31 PM
jspridge,
I see you're from Hebron, Ohio. That's a short ride to join us for our Ohio Meet October 1st at German Village. You should join us!:yup: A lot of CTS-V owners will be there! http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45564

Bob

I want to join the meet - I'm just not sure that I can commit to it. If no one has a problem with me just showing up, then it is likely that I'll be there. (and if I can get my hands on the Magnaflow exhaust that I purchased by then, I'll definitely be there!)

RobertCTS
09-15-05, 04:01 PM
I want to join the meet - I'm just not sure that I can commit to it. If no one has a problem with me just showing up, then it is likely that I'll be there. (and if I can get my hands on the Magnaflow exhaust that I purchased by then, I'll definitely be there!)

Sure you can just show but for the lucheon I need a head count.
Hope to see you there with or without the Magnaflows.
Bob

Joey'sVee
09-15-05, 04:11 PM
now back to visors

RobertCTS
09-15-05, 04:30 PM
now back to visors

YEP!
IMO the visor material is about as cheap as it gets. I suggest having it reupholstered. That's can't cost much. To carry material continuity I suggest the same fabric used for the headliner. It has texture and would blend in well. Check it out the next time you're in the car.

Joey'sVee
09-15-05, 04:42 PM
Why not just remove the stickers now that we have a procedure?

jspridge
09-15-05, 05:49 PM
Actually, the vinyl visor looks pretty good once the warning label is removed.

Joey'sVee
09-15-05, 05:53 PM
Actually, the vinyl visor looks pretty good once the warning label is removed.

Have you done the driver's side one yet? If so how does it look?

RobertCTS
09-15-05, 07:05 PM
Taste varies of course. With the stickers removed it draws attention more to the tacky material Cadillac used. We altimately go our own ways but I will recover mine and post some pics. Good luck guys.

jspridge
09-15-05, 09:51 PM
OK - here's a picture of the driver's visor after the label was removed. PM me with your email address if you want more detailed pictures of what it looks like in the middle of the project. I am very happy with the results.

JOEYCTS-V
09-15-05, 11:28 PM
:hmm: My homelink transmitter looks different than yours and I also have an 04'.

Joey'sVee
09-15-05, 11:46 PM
mine too. I want more pics, please. jmed99@hotmail.com

jspridge
09-16-05, 11:37 AM
:hmm: My homelink transmitter looks different than yours and I also have an 04'.

Good point. Last week my original driver's visor was replaced under warranty because the vinyl was pulling away from the Homelink transmitter on the right side of the transmitter. I was thinking about this project before the replacement, but I decided to wait for the new visor before trying to remove the labels.

By the way, this morning the driver's visor looks like no label was ever on it and the vinyl is perfect. This leads me to believe that the '05's may achieve a better result than the '04's, simply because the label has been baking on the '05 visors for maybe a year less.

As for my passenger visor, it looks very good too, but it's not completely smooth like the other one, as some of the electrical bits from the lighted mirror are a little more obvious without the label.

Peet
09-21-05, 03:26 AM
These look very similar to the ones on the new mustang... those came off by:

1) take a towel and make it damp - not dripping, but damp
2) put towel over (removed obviously) visor
3) iron over damp towel, steaming into the visor for about 45-60 seconds
4) peel gently, most of the glue should come up.
5) while the glue is still 'wet' on the cloth side of the visor, iron dry a papertowel to wick the glue.

As I haven't gotten my car yet, I can't try, but post back your results! On the mustang it went great!

RobertCTS
09-21-05, 07:16 AM
These look very similar to the ones on the new mustang... those came off by:

1) take a towel and make it damp - not dripping, but damp
2) put towel over (removed obviously) visor
3) iron over damp towel, steaming into the visor for about 45-60 seconds
4) peel gently, most of the glue should come up.
5) while the glue is still 'wet' on the cloth side of the visor, iron dry a papertowel to wick the glue.

As I haven't gotten my car yet, I can't try, but post back your results! On the mustang it went great!

Won't work as the Caddy's silk screened(paint) on the visor.