: Anyone else's N* tick at idle?

97STS4ME
09-10-05, 10:09 PM
Been doin this since I got the car but ive noticed it gettin worse lately. It ticks at idle. Not constant but repetitive ticking. Like tick tick tick pause....... tick tick tick pause.... It ticks right in time with the engine's idle. Im kinda thinkin feul injectors but I also hear some noise from the front valve cover area. Not sure where its coming from exactly. Anyone else have this? Im wondering if its normal or not.

Ranger
09-10-05, 10:23 PM
Mine is quiet.

94greencaddysls
09-11-05, 12:03 AM
Good chance it could be the idler pulley or tensioner pulley having bad bearings or wearing out. I got this noise at first but mine quickly turned into a light squeel that went away about 1,000 rpms. Changed the idler pulley first then the tensioner went bad so changed it and shes wisper quiet now.

JC316
09-11-05, 12:52 AM
Mine makes a steady ticking. It could be anything from the injectors to spark knock.

addison_ii
09-11-05, 01:07 AM
Good chance it could be the idler pulley or tensioner pulley having bad bearings or wearing out. I got this noise at first but mine quickly turned into a light squeel that went away about 1,000 rpms. Changed the idler pulley first then the tensioner went bad so changed it and shes wisper quiet now. I agree with 94greencaddysls. change the idler pulley and the tensioner as these usually go bad and cause whining and ticking.

Ranger
09-11-05, 01:09 PM
Get a stethescope or a length of hose and listen around. You'll find it. Be carefull around the belts.

iametarq
09-11-05, 02:27 PM
how many miles are on it? if the idler has never been replaced and you have high miles it wouldnt hurt to replace them if the noise is coming from that area. i haven't replaced one on a new cadillac, but the on on my chrylser was $8 and easy, and the one on my 89 deville was simple.

addison_ii
09-11-05, 03:11 PM
They are about 25 S&H included from gmpartsdirect.com. I just bought one for my SLS. You can also try rockauto.com or gmotors.com. The part itself runs about 17 bucks give or 2 bucks. The dealers charged anywhere from 27 to 32 bucks for the same part. I didn't have a stethescope so I used a piece of an old garden hose. That trick does work.

rangatang
09-11-05, 07:45 PM
Here in the great white north (CANADA), my local stealer quoted me $185.GMPARTS DIRECT won't ship north.I bought one at the local salvage yard...$80.Still alot but I needed one...I wonder if the lifters are stuck and making the ticking sound???
just a thought....

Jonny5
09-12-05, 11:35 AM
my caddy, a 95 sls, ticks from inside the front drivers wheel well, and i still have no clue what that is.

97STS4ME
09-14-05, 11:00 PM
Its all quiet near the belts, except for a little sqeal in the morning sometimes now thats its gettin cooler out (needs a new serp, among other things). Ill try some lifter stuff in it next time I change the oil. If that dont shut it up ill just assume its the injectors.

94greencaddysls
09-14-05, 11:39 PM
that light squeel when its cold could still be the bearings in the idler or tensioner. when you change the belt be sure to rotate them and listen or feel for any noise or clicking. As ranger stated a automotive stethiscope works wonders for these problems. Might wanna check around the water pump belt for noise also.

dkozloski
09-15-05, 02:02 AM
Sometimes a very small leak from the exhaust manifold sounds like a ticking sound then interrupts with a slight misfire on that cylinder.

Krashed989
09-15-05, 05:40 AM
Take off the cover for the spark plug wires and with the enging running turn the lights out to check if the spark is jumping between wires. If so, replace them.

Jonny5
09-15-05, 11:31 AM
i got a tick in the wheel well, only when my car is in park. i cannot figure out why there is a ticking

MACTICULOUS
09-15-05, 10:36 PM
On my father's Deville it was a lifter (or so the dealership said).
-Mac

AlBundy
09-15-05, 10:44 PM
My car is also squeaking or chirping, it increases when I hit the gas. I changed my belt about a month ago when it broke while I was driving. Is this idler pulley or tensioner bar easy to change? Is it a thing like take this bolt off, take off old put on new? I have a chilton service manual for my 96ESC and as far as info goes it sucks.

97STS4ME
09-15-05, 11:08 PM
Take off the cover for the spark plug wires and with the enging running turn the lights out to check if the spark is jumping between wires. If so, replace them.
I had to pay $65 bucks for the wires I put on there, they darn well better not be jumping.

I know how an exhuast leak sounds (I had to fix quite a few of those on my old caprice), and spark jump is deffinately not the same as the tick this thing's making. I cant decide if its a knock or a tick though, its kinda in between, which made me think it was the lifters at first. Ill be checking around under the hood pretty often in the next few days so ill do some more digging around and see what else I can find out.

Krashed989
09-16-05, 12:37 AM
Get a stethescope or a length of hose and listen around. You'll find it. Be carefull around the belts.

I agree with Ranger.

There is a massive list of things that it can possibly be. Something could have gone bad, or you could just have really good hearing and the whole thing is operating normal.

daddydg
09-27-05, 04:07 AM
I just bought a 98 Deville with 55k miles on it and I hhear the exact same ticking noise in mine. It's up near the front of the engine on the passenger's side in the area of the power steering pump.

I used a rolled up piece of paper to funnel sound into my ears and it seemed to be coming from under the spark plugs, but I couldn't be sure.

i suppose I could remove the serpetine belt and run the engine for a bit and listen for the noise. if no noise, then it would pribably be belt/pulley/tensioner/generator/PS pump related. If the noise persists, it would likely be interenal.

I gues the real quesion is, "Is this a potentially big issue that needs to be dealt with or not?"

Dan

zonie77
09-27-05, 10:23 AM
injectors tick normally, they are solenoids. If it's a pretty quiet tick that might be it.

Otherwise Ranger's advice is right on. Get a stethescope and pin it down. I can't hear it from here.

mcowden
09-27-05, 12:55 PM
I just bought a 98 Deville with 55k miles on it and I hhear the exact same ticking noise in mine. It's up near the front of the engine on the passenger's side in the area of the power steering pump.

I used a rolled up piece of paper to funnel sound into my ears and it seemed to be coming from under the spark plugs, but I couldn't be sure.

i suppose I could remove the serpetine belt and run the engine for a bit and listen for the noise. if no noise, then it would pribably be belt/pulley/tensioner/generator/PS pump related. If the noise persists, it would likely be interenal.

I gues the real quesion is, "Is this a potentially big issue that needs to be dealt with or not?"

Dan

There's no way to answer the question, Dan, until you isolate where the sound is coming from and what is causing it. I would suggest removing the serpentine belt from the engine pulley to start with, and that will eliminate the accessories. If you still hear it, use a hose or stethoscope to find exactly where it's coming from.

As Zonie said, there are 8 fuel injectors under the appearance cover, and they all tick when they open and shut. That's how it works. They will always tick. No way to stop that. If that's what you're hearing, there is absolutely nothing to worry about.

ShadowLvr400
09-27-05, 02:04 PM
Could be a bit of an exhaust leak too btw.