: The More I Read About A V......

04CTSVFLA
09-10-05, 02:31 PM
The more I read about the V, especially some of your Ver's more recent posts, the more I feel like I shouldnt get one. All you guys complain about how shitty the dealers are, and how your cars are always falling apart and gm doesnt stand behind it ---- this makes me think - why should I spend 38,000 on a car that is going to give me uber hassles. People with completely stock V's - have you experienced alot of problems as well? Should I opt for an 2004 Audi S4 with low miles or like 2002-2003 M3 with like 40k miles - both are around 37k.

ctsvett
09-10-05, 02:35 PM
The reason: despite eveyone's complaints (and there are a few), ask anyone, I bet they LOVE the car.. I know I do...

The key, is find a good dealer.

Reed

1MEANV
09-10-05, 02:37 PM
i had camaros, stangs, etc. the v by far is the best. and the bitches love it.

CVP33
09-10-05, 02:42 PM
Agreed. Find a dealer you can work with AFTER the sale. Unfortunately I haven't loved my V in 13 days and counting. The Cadillac Service Center has that priveledge.

Recap:

Blown outter half shaft
Blown inner half shaft
Blown rear differential
Blown rear differential
Differential improperly repaired (no friction modifier)
Drive shaft replaced
New rear bushings (failed)
Recall Flash PCM
Adjust Parking Brake
Replace NAV system (buttons peeling)
New Clutch (TSB)
New Pressure Plate (TSB)
New Slave Cylinder
New rear bushings (TSB)
New Transmission Rebuild (awaiting parts)

Other than that and the 25 days out of service it's been completely a joy to own. Including the 9 emails and 8 angry phone calls to Corporate Cadillac to get my repairs completed properly under warranty. Saga began December of 2004 and will soon be coming to an end.

lawfive
09-10-05, 02:43 PM
Yes, people with stock Vs have experienced problems ranging from blown rear ends to paint flaking off the radio. I can't speak to the Audi, but the M3 is a blast to drive (if you like the feel of a go cart) and the 2003 you're thinking about is the prettiest model M ever. The new 3-series is a step down in aesthetics.

However, I wouldn't trade my V straight across for a 2003 or even a new M3. (A new M5 is another story...) I love this car, even with all her faults. You gotta be careful what you wish for. The Challenger I lusted after in high school had its share of quirks and "shit falls apart!" too. I have buddies with C-class and E-class AMGs, and those f'ers are only semi-solid as well, especially their electrical systems. (Must have subcontracted that to some British company...)

I have four cars and afford to have my V go down, if it ever does. Plus, I can afford to pay for stuff the warranty maybe won't cover for me any more. You may be in a different place. If so, I gotta tell you: if you're thinking that you might not want the car, then DO NOT DRIVE IT! If you do, you might as well paste a check to your forehead before you take the test drive.

lawfive
09-10-05, 02:45 PM
Wow, Chris. You win! My littany so far:

- New left rear window rubber fascia (Cadillac's fault)

- New air dam rubber skirt (driver's fault)

CadV
09-10-05, 02:55 PM
The more I read about the V, especially some of your Ver's more recent posts, the more I feel like I shouldnt get one. All you guys complain about how shitty the dealers are, and how your cars are always falling apart and gm doesnt stand behind it ---- this makes me think - why should I spend 38,000 on a car that is going to give me uber hassles. People with completely stock V's - have you experienced alot of problems as well? Should I opt for an 2004 Audi S4 with low miles or like 2002-2003 M3 with like 40k miles - both are around 37k.

You will always hear more of the complaints then praise. When something works people don't really talk about it. For every complaint posted here remember there are people out there having no problems. Another note people who are members here are a lot harder on their cars then the general public. No matter the excuse there is some fault of their own in what happens. Granted that does not include everyone there are some problems with the car that keep popping up on people. If it were me I would go buy a 2006 because most of the problems have been worked out and the fixes should be included but I could be wrong.

The S4 is not even in the same league as the V in my opinion. It is overpriced and not worth it. While the M3 is a nice car everyone and their mother has one.

Ask the guys here about a good dealership in your area and get a Service reference. Go talk to them in person and put your doubts to rest and enjoy the car it is in a class of it's own.

midwestern Values
09-10-05, 02:56 PM
There is the potential to have a problem car from any manufacturer. I have had "reliable" German cars (my Audi TT, that I dearly loved anyway) that I had a series of small problems and recalls with. I had a Jaguar X-Type that was rock solid, in spite of Jaguar's reputation for poor quality.

I had a cheap American Mustang GT that never gave me any grief at all, other than constantly trying to remind me that is was a muscle car, which isn't always a bad thing.

In an industry that is dominated increasingly by China and India, I decided that I wanted an American car. Most of the problems reported in this forum seem to me to be boneheaded management (saving a few dollars) decisions overweighing American Engineering knowhow, and American labor.

04CTSVFLA
09-10-05, 03:01 PM
See I dont believe I will be in a place to be paying for parts that fail. I dont understand why when a car has 4yr/50k warranty and something fails like:

Blown outter half shaft
Blown inner half shaft
Blown rear differential
Blown rear differential
Differential improperly repaired (no friction modifier)
Drive shaft replaced
New rear bushings (failed)
Recall Flash PCM
Adjust Parking Brake
Replace NAV system (buttons peeling)
New Clutch (TSB)
New Pressure Plate (TSB)
New Slave Cylinder
New rear bushings (TSB)
New Transmission Rebuild (awaiting parts)

WHY ISNT EVERYTHING COVERED AND PAYED FOR BY THE WARRANTY???? Even the labor should be covered when anything like the above happens - as long as you still have the warranty intact (ie no mods). ISNT THIS TRUE. For instance if I left my V stock, and had the 4yr/50k and everyone of the above things happened to my car. Not a single cent will have to come out of my pocket...right??? Even the labor should be free of charge.

1MEANV
09-10-05, 03:01 PM
well i love it. prasie here. in fact praise the lord

ace996
09-10-05, 03:04 PM
IMHO, I really do love this car. It's looks are hypnotic, the engine is pure sex, and I've never had a car as nice internally...except an A4Turbo, which was smaller inside. The handling is bordering on "race-car" and brakes that can dislodge your eyes if your not careful. There are the goods...
The bads...well, the bads are winning the battle. The service organization does not know how to deal with the owners or the cars. The engineers skimped in areas that should not be / are inexcuseable areas of concern...that's how the price is lower than the Euro-competition.
The real issue though, is that when someone spends roughly $50K on a vehicle it should hold-up better than the other $25-30K vehicles one's owned prior. I have had nothing but constant problems with my rear-suspension/differential/transmission/tire-wear since I've bought the car...and the District Service Manager has blamed everything on my "aggressive" driving (note-I don't peel-out, street race, or drag race...I do turn as hard as the tires allow and am not afraid to make sportscars ashamed of how poorly they're driven in comparison to our "sedan").

With all said and done, if someone gave me the opportunity to walk-away from the V and step into the above mentioned Audi or BMW(negative that it's a two-door), I'd do it in a second. Now, please understand, that I'd always have a hole in my heart from the loss of the V. I really do love this car and believe that it could be a FANTASTIC vehicle if it had the whole company/service/engineer package attached, but it is not there yet.

Should I attain 2 more weeks in service, in addition to the 2 weeks its been in the service dept in 3 months, I'm going to lemon law it...and get a new 06 WRX STi...its proven itself over several years.

You may get lucky and get a good one, but I wouldn't do it again if given the choice...Caddy should get their act together eventually, and then the car will be something of Legend.

Be good,
ace996

lasstss
09-10-05, 03:04 PM
Forums serve two great purposes. One is to inform, the other is to bitch and moan. I have done both. When I sit back, I ask my self what else would I buy??:thepan:

An M5? Nice car, too many of them and they have their own issues. Audi??
Anything to do with a VW I aint buyin, been there done that,.. too many times.
I cant afford a Vanquish or any of the Aston products so here I sit in my V.
A few bugs, yes, looks bad ass, yes, hauls ass, yes!
If you are partial to GM as I am, there a 2 choices in the world, the V or Vette. I cant get all my polishing and detail stuff in the vette.:hmm:

04CTSVFLA
09-10-05, 03:07 PM
CADV - "The S4 is not even in the same league as the V in my opinion. It is overpriced and not worth it. " - WHAT???? Dude thats one of the dumbest statements I think Ive heard all day. Now I dont own an Audi, but I think out of the 3 - M3, S4, CTS-v.......They are the most well rounded - they have the best suspension/handling, there interior is sturdy and gorgeous - they use unbelievable good quality materials unlike Cadillac. S4's have recaro seats with alacantra- so thats another point to s4's have the best quality interior, and engines Id say they come in 2nd to the V. I mean they have a V8 powerhouse that are really restricted - if you opened the s4's exhaust/intake system and got a chip theyd have over 400 ponies IMO. Honestly I believe the S4 is probably the most well rounded outta the 3. Its just when most people buy a car, they look for just the raw power (CTS-V) or elegant sharp looks (M3), I agree the S4 is the worst looking out of the 3.

1MEANV
09-10-05, 03:07 PM
me it would be a 06 zo6. i support the north american industry. no import shit for me

CVP33
09-10-05, 03:18 PM
04CTSVFLA - You're only missing one problem. Even if you keep your V stock as some have, the dealer can still claim abusive driving based on tire tread life, your G meter or even the failure itself, i.e. You must have been doing something, your rear differential failed. Now imagine that treatment on EVERY visit to the dealer.

What to do. I suggest lemon lawing any '04/'05 where you can (ace and myself among others) and getting an '06 on the hope that GM finally got their shit together. I have other options as well including a C6.

CadV
09-10-05, 03:46 PM
CADV - "The S4 is not even in the same league as the V in my opinion. It is overpriced and not worth it. " - WHAT???? Dude thats one of the dumbest statements I think Ive heard all day. Now I dont own an Audi, but I think out of the 3 - M3, S4, CTS-v.......They are the most well rounded - they have the best suspension/handling, there interior is sturdy and gorgeous - they use unbelievable good quality materials unlike Cadillac. S4's have recaro seats with alacantra- so thats another point to s4's have the best quality interior, and engines Id say they come in 2nd to the V. I mean they have a V8 powerhouse that are really restricted - if you opened the s4's exhaust/intake system and got a chip theyd have over 400 ponies IMO. Honestly I believe the S4 is probably the most well rounded outta the 3. Its just when most people buy a car, they look for just the raw power (CTS-V) or elegant sharp looks (M3), I agree the S4 is the worst looking out of the 3.

We can avoid insults my post my meant to help you. I disagree on the suspension/handling it is a 4-wheel drive which is the difference but there was a review of the Caddy and they raced a S4 in it the V pulled the S4 through the corners. Here it is;
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/video/topgear.html

I disagree on the interior as well I think the S4 interior is nothing special and prefer the V's.

The S4 has 340 from the factory to the wheels you are looking at 300. No exhaust chip will get you to 400.

The S4 is not the most well rounded I would have to say the M3 is.

Loadtoad
09-10-05, 03:50 PM
If you have to question the purchase then it's not for you!

ace996
09-10-05, 04:10 PM
CVP is correct. I have a STOCK car, dealer installed FG2 shocks...Corsa exhaust...and...dare I say it for fear it would void my warrantee...StealthV engine covers. Oh, I also have the Specter Werks bushings that eventually found their way into GM's TSBs.

When I had my issue with the V, the Dist.Serv.Mgr. was threatening pulling my warrantee because of "tire wear"....can you imagine that? They had my Gmeter on display at 1.12-1.16...something they couldn't duplicate themselves, and accused me of driving the V...lets see if I can remember his exact words...oh, yes.."beyond the design parameters" of the car. I bought this car because it was marketed as a sedan that bested Europeans on their home track...the Nurburgring...and that it was an American sedan with a Corvette engine...the Z06's LS6...(I still get a chubby thinking about my engine...don't tell my wife!). So with 60% of my tires worn at 4500 miles, and mind you that they come shaved from the factory (8/32 vs normal 10/32), the manager said the broken diff and halfshaft was my doing...they fixed it under warrantee. Since then, I've returned because my rear-suspension has been clunking/rattling/creaking at every stop and take-off....they look at me sideways and made me drive the car with the tech in the car to "duplicate" the sounds. The fix....they disassembled the WHOLE rear half of my car and re-installed everything because they couldn't find the noise. Now it has quieted down some, but not completely. I'm waiting until it gets worse, by that time the new STS-V diff should be here..just around the time my new diff takes its shite, and i'll have them do it all again. And if it takes more than two weeks I'll lemon the car.

In regards to the statement that you only hear gripes on the boards, do yourself a favor and visit the other sites. See how much griping there is with other cars..if every second or third subject deals with headaches/failures/service nazis/ ect... I've never been a member of a vehicle board where problems were as prevalent as they are here. Yes we drive the cars hard, they are not STSs, Sevilles, or Devilles...its a frickin' V for heaven's sake...it's designed to be driven hard. Brembo brakes, Nurburgring shocks, Tremec tranny, and an LS6 motor???? How the heck could one over-drive such a vehicle without entering a road-course??? You shouldn't be able to hurt this car from spirited driving. Damn, my students autox/trackday their 10-20 year old BMWs like lunatics, no thanks to my self-proclaimed expert instruction, and they don't have issues like we Vpilots do. Its not acceptable to market a car as a performance track-tuned sedan and then not be able to drive it like it was touted.

The S4 is a fantastic car...a little small inside, but still fantastic. Install a set of Bilsteins or KW coilovers, some swaybars and it is a difficult vehicle to beat...on the street or track...dry,rain, or snow. It is not a drag-race car, neither is the V, so if used for its intentional purposes it is magnificent. The price is high, but it also doubles as a fine winter snow-dog. Don't shy from the S4, with a little work it is fantastic and the Quattro is worth its weight in 'cubes'. I didn't get the S4 because the V had a little something on it besides power...a certain 'rip yer balls off' attitude not seen with any other sedan, so I was pulled toward the American Bad Ass. I think I made a mistake...

crowan
09-10-05, 04:21 PM
A used M3 or S4? Take a trip over to the BMW forums and see how "bulletproof" the M3 is, and BMW dealers are as arrogant as any on the planet. The S4 isn't even a serious competitor for the V.

I've owned a few really nice hot rods over the years, including 2 different AMG models that cost twice the V's retail price, and I'll take my V over all of them when it comes to the "fun factor." And don't get me started on issues of reliability and dealer service at Mercedes Benz. Horrible.

Most of the serious unhappiness amongst some owners really relates to the clueless and incompetent dealer service departments that are not able to meet the needs of enthusiasts who are attracted to the V series. Its hard to like a car when the dealer is constantly kicking you in the stones rather than trying to make you happy.

As far as my V, I get great dealer service (Lindsay Cadillac), I've had no real problems of significance, and what I thought would be a week-end car has become my daily driver because I hate to get out of it. If I had been able to get mine at the prices that are available today, I would would be in hog heaven.

If you want to own a hi-po car, cowboy-up and be prepared for some problems. If you want to be "safe," get a Toyota Corolla.

NoSlackCadillac
09-10-05, 04:50 PM
I am sure that every vehicle has some problems and their is a horror story for each. I have visited enthusiast web sites for many cars I have owned often to be surprised by some bitter people complaining. While I would certainly factor it in to a buying decision, it wouldn't make the decision for me. I put much more stock in getting behind the wheel. And this car shines when you're behind the wheel.
I originally bought a Z06, but after one day knew that I couldn't put up with the poor ride quality for my daily driver. I took it back and bought the V from the same dealer. I have absolutely loved it.
Working with service managers depends on them and you. I have had no issues with my local dealership (Today Cadillac in Bremerton WA).
Aren't you the one whose V-to-be was in New Orleans? Be careful about sour grapes. My 2 cents, Take your time and drive them all. Personally, I couldn't be happier with the V. In any case, I hope you find one that is everything you're looking for.

1MEANV
09-10-05, 04:56 PM
bahahahhahahhahahahaahhahhahahhahahahahaahaha. if people in here dont like v's. and want to talk about bmw or any import crap how thwy think it is better. beat it

urbanski
09-10-05, 06:04 PM
haha.lol

corneredbeast
09-10-05, 06:18 PM
Should I opt for an 2004 Audi S4 with low miles or like 2002-2003 M3 with like 40k miles - both are around 37k.

You may want to consider things like this (http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/e46m3/7007501-1.html) before you spring for a used M3. IMO the Audis are some of the most soul-less and generic looking German cars ever. The V certainly has it's problems but you will face a unique set of such problems with practically any high performance vehicle. As others have said, the dealership will play a large role in your satisfaction of ownership. Good luck in finding the right car for you.

BowenCT
09-10-05, 07:09 PM
Should I opt for an 2004 Audi S4 with low miles or like 2002-2003 M3 with like 40k miles - both are around 37k.

This kills me everytime I read it from a prospective V buyer. As far as I'm concerned, and I believe I could get most V owners to agree, if one would even CONSIDER an M3 or S4 over a V.......well my friend, the V isn't the car for you.

crowan
09-10-05, 07:48 PM
This kills me everytime I read it from a prospective V buyer. As far as I'm concerned, and I believe I could get most V owners to agree, if one would even CONSIDER an M3 or S4 over a V.......well my friend, the V isn't the car for you.

Amen.

Brett
09-10-05, 07:50 PM
Dude thats one of the dumbest statements I think Ive heard all day.

re-read some of your first 69 posts and you might find some rivals.

What did you join here 2 weeks ago? and ever since you've been pestering the crap out of everyone for opinions, complex photoshops, etc. It's time for you to appreciate the expert advice given out by our V membership.

BE NICE :banghead:

CTSV05
09-10-05, 08:10 PM
O.K.!!!

Heres the problem as I see it.

And just so you know, I think the V is a tremendous car, sadly under engineered, an awesome plan, poor execution.

I have been as an enthusiast V owner as any other, but MY problem is with Cadillacs treatment of its owners!!!

We/I bought this car with one thing in mind, OWNING A TRUE AMERICAN PERFORMANCE SEDAN!!

But after hearing some of the horror stories of the absolutely dispicable treatment of some unfortunate owners, by dealers and Cadillac, I was hoping I would not see this treatment personally.

Well I have, and as already stated, we paid very good money for these cars, I can see absolutely NO JUSTIFICATION FOR THIS CONSTANT "BLAME THE CUSTOMER FIRST" MENTALITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My advice, if you DO NOT PLAN ON DRIVING THE V IN A MANNER AS ITS ADVERTISED, MARKETED AND THE POWERTRAIN CONSTANTLY URGES YOU TO DO.........buy one.

If you do buy and plan on driving it, just understand its not GMs fault for cutting corners, its your fault for buying AND actually driving the car.

urbanski
09-10-05, 08:14 PM
re-read some of your first 69 posts and you might find some rivals.

What did you join here 2 weeks ago? and ever since you've been pestering the crap out of everyone for opinions, complex photoshops, etc. It's time for you to appreciate the expert advice given out by our V membership.

BE NICE :banghead:
owned

51PHFTY
09-10-05, 08:16 PM
I've owned a lot of cars over the past 25 years. Almost a year ago, I sold a '98 Audi A4 1.8T that was chipped, exhaust......... with 130k hard miles (don't get me wrong, the car was great to me) and a '99 Porsche Carrera that also had some minor mods and bought the V. I hardly drove the Porsche (which was my 3rd one) and I drove the s^&t out of the Audi (which was sold to a friend and is still on the road) I admit, I am lucky in that the V has treated me well (so far) and I have a great dealer (so far), but flat out, the V is far and away better than either of the two I sold. I drive both canyon and freeway everyday to and from work and I look forward to it each day in the V.

I have driven some M3's and 750's - still like the V better. Maybe an M5 would change my mind, but unlikely at almost twice the price (at least here in L.A.).

Just my $.02.

Marty

GAGS-V
09-10-05, 08:39 PM
My two cents. If you have a V and are not happy get RID of it, quit griping and moaning about it. I also suggest you find the right dealer and drive the car like it is supposed to be driven. The dealer and the dealers service department make all the difference in the world. It is that way no matter what brand you buy. I have had more fun driving this car than ANY other car or truck I have driven. It irritates me to read all the griping and complaining with a car that really is world class. Find the right dealer, talk to the general manager if you have a problem (be civil to them and you might just be amazed at their response). As someone has said the ones not having problems don't respond to these threads. All warranty issues are covered for four years and 50,000 miles so relax, go drive the V and have fun with it.

CVP33
09-10-05, 09:20 PM
My two cents. If you have a V and are not happy get RID of it, quit griping and moaning about it.

:thumbsup: Working on it but I need to get it out of the dealership's service center first. :histeric:

In the mean time, let's be honest about our service visits at what may happen. I know there are only 19.4% of rear differentials failing and being replaced (CAD FAQ's) and that 4 out of 5 V owners will never have our problem. But the numbers are growing. The concern for all of you should be what will I do when it happens to me. ACE, CTSV05, myself and others are here to help you when "nice" doesn't work. And trust me on this one, when the service manager starts snapping pic's of your Ling' CAI it's not because he's admiring it. :yup:

And for the record none of my service visits or repairs have cost me a dime, because I know who to call and what to do when everything goes terribly wrong. I feel sorry for the rest of you and that's why I post the warnings, contact numbers of corporate personnel and email instructions on what to do. As long as everyone is posting facts I see no harm. I do understand that it's hard to hear that our V's are not everything we were led to believe. They're not as quick, don't hold up very well and for many the service is awful.

In closing, when the V's running right and the rear ends in tact there's no other feeling in the world like it. :D

alcast082
09-10-05, 09:52 PM
I LoVE MY VVVVVVVVVVV

09-10-05, 11:34 PM
A used M3 or S4? Take a trip over to the BMW forums and see how "bulletproof" the M3 is, and BMW dealers are as arrogant as any on the planet. The S4 isn't even a serious competitor for the V.

I've owned a few really nice hot rods over the years, including 2 different AMG models that cost twice the V's retail price, and I'll take my V over all of them when it comes to the "fun factor." And don't get me started on issues of reliability and dealer service at Mercedes Benz. Horrible.

Most of the serious unhappiness amongst some owners really relates to the clueless and incompetent dealer service departments that are not able to meet the needs of enthusiasts who are attracted to the V series. Its hard to like a car when the dealer is constantly kicking you in the stones rather than trying to make you happy.

As far as my V, I get great dealer service (Lindsay Cadillac), I've had no real problems of significance, and what I thought would be a week-end car has become my daily driver because I hate to get out of it. If I had been able to get mine at the prices that are available today, I would would be in hog heaven.

If you want to own a hi-po car, cowboy-up and be prepared for some problems. If you want to be "safe," get a Toyota Corolla.

I was going to type a response till I read the above; I would have typed almost the exact the same thing.

I did test drive an S4 when I was V shopping. It was fast, I suppose, and puts up great numbers, but it was a sterile and boring experience compared to driving a CTS-V, or any honkin' american V8.

CTSV05
09-11-05, 12:14 AM
CAGs,

How long have you owned your V?

We put 14,400 mi. on ours from Dec.17, '04 til almost 3 weeks ago, so I do believe we have driven it, and ENJOYED every hopless moment after my kit got refined and completed.

BUT, we'll see how you respond when Cadillac blows you off with no proper process. I had a good dealer, but one of their personel, created a major problem, and has proven to be a liar, this isn't the cars fault, it is in the GM system, where if you would read my post, I explain is where my problem is.

No car is perfect, but for the money we paid, we shouldn't have to drive it like a VW and get hassled by our dealerships either.

Dave's V
09-11-05, 12:36 AM
The S4 gets blown away by the V on the track, even when British drivers are behind the steering wheel on the "correct side" of the car.

The worst car I have owned was a 98 Audi A4. Quattro system was bullet proof. Unforntunately, the rest of the car wasn't even close to it. It had two ignition packs go bad (one left it parked in Idaho for a week), plenty of interior parts breaking off, heated mirrors that never heated but took the dealer 3 times to get the right parts. It also started to ride like an old Lincoln but Audi said it was normal. Tire wear was even worse though since the quattro didn't like having different depth tires on the car. There was a dire lack of room, especially in the back seat.

Now with my V, I had the rear end replaced at 1700 miles, alarm activated, wheel alignment fixed correctly, bushings installed, sail panel replaced and hopefully I'll get to replace the "new" 2002 Nav disk with an upgraded version (should be free).
Everytiime I turn the key, it is a thrill though. This is an American high performance sedan. All cars have their mechanical quirks. The AMG E55 was known to have a rough shifting automatic transmission for a car that costs close to six digits. BMWs are known to go through cylinder heads and require a strict maintenance schedule to maintain full power.

But usually if people are trying to find doubts about a car, they really shouldn't buy one. They'll probably never be happy with and always doubt the reliability of their V.

I heard about the crappy dealers. Mine is usually good alt

ace996
09-11-05, 01:00 AM
Oh yes, wait until something big breaks and the District Service Manager is called in to make a decision. My dealership service department is fantastic but its the DSM who makes the call on high-dollar issues, and if he's gettin his ass handed to him for his area being over budget on warrantee fixes...you get screwed. See, the fact is that we are a group of performance enthusiasts who bought the V for the total package. If I just wanted a nice American sedan, the CTS 255hp manual would have fit the bill just fine. But I've always wanted a Z06, and now that my 22month old son demands a seat in Daddy's car, I needed a sedan...dingdingding...enter the V. The car is an iron fist in a velvet glove, just perfect for taking clients to lunch/diner...family drives...and beating up on all the punks who think their fart-can-equipped imports/ rat-ass Mustangs are fast. Its amazing at first.
Then something goes wrong, and a dealership/service system that is not familiar with performance vehicles tries to keep costs down. They measured my tread on my tires for Christ's sake....and when I showed them the letter from Caddy explaining that tire wear is an issue on our cars and that rotations should be 3K miles...yep, sooner than a regularly scheduled oil change!!!!!, they disregarded it and called me an overenthusiastic driver.
Fast forward...my tranny doesn't like to engage 1st gear...it needs work and I'm not letting an automatic-tranny-trained Caddy tech dismantle it to learn the Tremec inner-workings, and they won't order me a new tranny because the DSM squashed that idea to keep costs down. I can try to go to another dealership outside the DSM's territory, but its "down the road a piece" and after I spent what I did on the car that's not a real solution, now is it?

The car is a wonder, it does so many things better than a 4Klbs sedan should...but there are real design issues. Wheel hop, time-bomb diffs, and some trannys that don't behave. These are problems that can be fixed, and probably will in time, but its the dealership/service/corporate attitude that completely sucks any shread of joy out of the V-ownership experience...for me and others. One can ignore the issues and consider themselves lucky if one of the aforementioned snakes haven't bitten you, yet. I made a big step by switching over to a GM car, and I am less than thrilled. In three months of ownership I've not had my V for 16 days, in 4500 miles. That's not right. Half of that time was because the techs/DSM didn't know what to do to fix the problems, even though I printed out all the TSBs they needed for the fixes.

I wouldn't wish this, or other's experiences, on anyone. Remember how happy you were the first day you brought home the V? Now imagine having that feeling ripped away after a month and being threatened with a voidance of your warrantee because your tires wear quickly...and you know its just because they're looking to curb some warrantee costs. It sours the whole experience. And I haven't even hit 5K miles yet...45 more months to go on my SmartBuy....this sucks. I can't imagine what some of the DSMs will do if you have power adding mods...maggie?...headers?? no cats??? if you think I'm having issues, just wait. Shite, CVP's DSM won't even approve a short-shifter....

When I told the DSM that I wan't happy with his solutions, and that I wanted someone who was familiar with the car to consider the issues, he said no...and then he told me if I wasn't happy that I should call the BBB and file a case. Imagine that...

Now, how would you feel?

Seattle CTS-V
09-11-05, 01:58 AM
The S4 has 340 from the factory to the wheels you are looking at 300. No exhaust chip will get you to 400.

Actually, most people are only getting 270-280 to the wheels. That AWD sucks up tons of power! The S4 was my 1st choice for the three months prior to my first test drive in the V. I was waiting for the '06 which features a 40/60 split center differential to minimize understeer (just like in the upcoming RS4). Once I drove the V though I realized that the S4 had no balls in stock form. On top of that, a blower for that thing will run you upwards of $10k. Mods were just waaaay to expensive. AWD is nice from a dig though and in the rain is unmatched.

beers
09-11-05, 01:44 PM
Test drive everything you're interested in, and buy what you want. Having said that, I bought my V last year, have about 8,500 miles on it now, and have had ZERO problems. The dealership I bought it from was fantastic, I can't speak to service departments because it has never been in for service (one oil change so far, done in my garage). Car has no creaks, rattles or anything. Rear end is fine. Up until last month it was completely stock (now has a B&B resonator exhaust). This car is an absolute blast to drive, with very little compromise...

kjr39
09-11-05, 02:22 PM
I suggest that you spend some time at another manufacturer's forums and you'll start to notice a trend...

The people post on the forums are one of two types:

1. They love the industry and the products that get produced.
2. They have a problem.

I'm a computer guy, by trade, so I visited Apple forums for awhile now. 90% of the posts are about people having problems with the product, and yes, some people get lemons, have a ton of things happen, etc.

Are they the norm? Nope. No one posts in a forum saying "Hey guys, my car works great. Sucks to be you", because that it just igrnorant (for one) and who really cares to have a discussion like that... What's your reply going to be? "Good for you. Now shut the f@#k up."

So, don't pull your sample of the car from this forum (or for that matter any other product that you buy.)

People wouldn't say 'misery loves company' if it wasn't true...

V-Love
09-12-05, 02:55 AM
Everyone needs to bitch. You may be dating a supermodel but in time...you'll find things wrong with her. It is a great car. You will love it. If you do forget how sweet it is, don't worry, other people will remind you.
An Audi????? Isn't that a girl's car?

MLV
09-12-05, 06:55 AM
I have almost 15,000 miles on my '04, and the only problems have been with dealers' service departments. GM did not prepare their Cadillac dealers for these cars before they started selling them. That's a serious problem, but I think they'll get it fixed; my local dealer has become very good now that they have some experience with the car. The complaints on the forum are useful information for V owners and have at least gotten GM's attention as evidenced by the conference call some of the guys had. I've had none of the problems noted by some here. It's a great drive. I don't race it but I don't baby it either. There are several thousand Vs on the road now, and I doubt that the majority are driven by blue haired old ladies(my wife prefers red). GM needs to buck up, but the V is a great, fun to drive car. Get a StealthV tune and go for a drive. :spin:

urbanski
09-12-05, 08:38 AM
don't audis go straight up the ski jump hill though????

kjr39
09-12-05, 11:53 AM
after seeing Transporter 2, I thought they did a lot more than that....

Harley Guy
09-12-05, 12:56 PM
I am not sure that I am going to add anything new here, but thought I would put my $.02 in. I have had some of the problem that others have talked about and one or two unique ones. The problems have not been enough to turn me off on this car, but the combination of the problems and the dealerís poor service are close. I have been driving German and Japanese cars for a number of years prior the getting the V and I have to say that although the cars have gotten much better, the dealers donít get it when it comes to excellent customer service. They talk the talk, but can not walk the walk.

I still LOVE driving this car. Power, handling, breaks, and looks. The fact that you donít see one every time you turn around is a real plus. Non-car people donít see it (but they usually hear the Corsa exhaust blasting), and real car people canít look away. I must also say that being part of this well done forum and great group of people is a real plus that has added to the experience.

Joey'sVee
09-12-05, 01:03 PM
:tsucks:

lasstss
09-12-05, 01:07 PM
I am not sure that I am going to add anything new here, but thought I would put my $.02 in. I have had some of the problem that others have talked about and one or two unique ones. The problems have not been enough to turn me off on this car, but the combination of the problems and the dealerís poor service are close. I have been driving German and Japanese cars for a number of years prior the getting the V and I have to say that although the cars have gotten much better, the dealers donít get it when it comes to excellent customer service. They talk the talk, but can not walk the walk.

I still LOVE driving this car. Power, handling, breaks, and looks. The fact that you donít see one every time you turn around is a real plus. Non-car people donít see it (but they usually hear the Corsa exhaust blasting), and real car people canít look away. I must also say that being part of this well done forum and great group of people is a real plus that has added to the experience.

Unfortunately, there is no uniformity in dealership customer service. (we brought this up at the GM forum).You have to pay for quality people and let them do their job. Micromanaging makes good people quit. I have a Caddy dealer 2 miles from me. He tried to gouge me when I bought the car so I went somewhere else and got a better deal. Service was OK.. but lackiing.
Now I drive for 3 hours , round trip to go to Lindsay Cadillac as they seem to know what customer service is. If I ever buy another V that is where I will get it. Its inconvenient but its worth the trip, they treat you right and I never get Jerked around.

CTSV05
09-12-05, 05:47 PM
And my problem is not the car, parts break, stuff happens, that is not an issue.

But when you are treated twice as good by a Chevrolet dealer after buying a used car and your warranty needs are not questioned, ......well you see my point.

Its been so long now, I forget what the V feels like!!!! 3 weeks Wed.

-uplink-
09-13-05, 08:46 PM
don't audis go straight up the ski jump hill though????

Hehe, ever read the fine print on that commercial? When its driving up it says: "spiked rally tires used" and when its stopped: 'Safety device was used to keep car from sliding backwards'. :hmm:
-Mike

RocketV
09-14-05, 12:10 AM
While I have not had any problems with my V yet, I am not worried if I do. I had one of the first CTS's in Indy back in 2002, and it WAS NOT a good car. It required a new steering rack, diff, tires, and several other little things. The reason my wife and I still drive Cadillacs is due in no small part to the stellar treatment we received from the service department at Lockhart Cadillac south. I made sure that the owner knew this when I bought the V (he made a point to come out and say hi) and now I think I could probably get my lawn mower fixed there under warranty, my service writer is so good to me. I might add that I did not buy the original CTS at this dealer, but I had grown tired of arguing with the service reps at the dealer where it was purchased. They are not bad guys, but I think they were overwhelmed by a car guy and my demands. Lockhart fixed all my problems and even got new tires for me under warranty.

The importance of a good dealer cannot be over stressed, even when not dealing with a high performance car.