: Stability control off

Luna.
09-09-05, 09:47 PM
Did I miss a thread that discussed whether there was a way to have the car, on start up, default to having the stability control system OFF?

I hate having to hold that button for ~5 seconds every time I get into the car...

Dreamin
09-09-05, 09:54 PM
Why in the world would you want it off every time??

Dennisscars
09-09-05, 10:27 PM
stability control is your friend. I ran a 1.22 g at Buttonwillow with it on full and it let me get way out there before it delicately brought me where I should have been. I ran at the track with it on full just to see where that edge was. There were times that the tires were howling when I thought it could have come on, but did not. I had a turbo porch on my ass at 125 and I went into a corner too hot and it kept me out of the dirt. He came up to me after the heat and told me he was impressed how fast I took that corner and thought for sure I was too hot. :eek:

Hang it out there sometime and find out where it comes in, you'd be suprised how far out there you have to get before it makes you look good. On the street you'd have to have your ars way out there for it to come on.

urbanski
09-09-05, 11:04 PM
every time i've done donuts, it's been on. TC off of course. DO NOT turn ST off. LOL

**GM, I have never EVER done donuts.

Dennisscars
09-09-05, 11:26 PM
:leaving: oh yeah, it was a guy that might or might not look like me at the track and at no time was the speed limit exceeded, no defaults changed, no animals or rubber was harmed in this fictitious event.

"I come from a small midwestern college, it was a dark rainy night when I heard a knock on the door...." oh wrong forum..:suspect:

ntechnic
09-10-05, 07:00 AM
I had a blackbox that defeated the TC in my 2003 Cobra, and I was putting 450+ hp to the rear wheels. I want to drive my car, not let a computer try to do it for me.

I cut my teeth racing circle track before I was old enough for a license. I was riding MX at 8, and road raced and land speed raced on two and four wheels. Drifts are groovy. In full default mode, the SC and TC mess me up, if the car starts to get loose, I'm starting to correct, then the unsubtle SC kicks in and trys to control the car that I'm already controlling, and really messes up the balance and I end up fighting the car for control.

Competition mode is cool, I deliberately tried to spin the car several times at a decent speed, and it won't let me and corrected with a lot more finesse than default. So my start up routine is a double punch on the button. It was funny to watch the car try to figure out what to do when I deliberately left it in default mode and made a 60 mph bootleg turn (lock the e-brake and spin on center axis). The car couldn't pull power (throttle is closed) and couldn't do anything with the rear brakes. It did try to something with the front brakes, but it only suceeded in making the spin wider. In comp mode, it seemed to not even try to do anything, I couldn't feel any difference between the completely off mode and comp mode on test bootlegs.

But more than once I've forgotten to turn anything off, and up in the canyons had the damn thing kick in mid-corner. The car is really ugly during that half second that my instincts and the computer wrestle for control.

I'd pay $200-300 bucks in a heartbeat if I could make Comp mode the default.

Luna.
09-10-05, 05:36 PM
Defaulting to comp mode would be cool as well...

In regards to turning everything off....what I find interesting is that C&D and MT, in their respective tests, apparently got their "best" performance numbers with everything off. Take it for what it's worth...

I suppose, however, the main question still stands:

Is there no way to get the computer to default to anything else???

Joey'sVee
09-11-05, 01:13 AM
Defaulting to comp mode would be cool as well...

In regards to turning everything off....what I find interesting is that C&D and MT, in their respective tests, apparently got their "best" performance numbers with everything off. Take it for what it's worth...

I suppose, however, the main question still stands:

Is there no way to get the computer to default to anything else???

How do you know they had everything off? Did they say that in the articles? I don't remember.

Luna.
09-11-05, 02:55 AM
How do you know they had everything off? Did they say that in the articles? I don't remember.

Yeah, they specifically say they turned it off.

Joey'sVee
09-11-05, 04:25 AM
Cool! I didn't realize that. I wonder why that have it all turned off instead of just in competitive driving mode.