: Raced a well driven M3 finally

CadV
09-09-05, 01:00 PM
Guy (Jonathon) in a black M3 flagged me down yesterday and we went up on the freeway for a little vroom vroom. We decided on a 50 punch start. I was suprised he kept up with me it was even through 2nd, 3rd, and 4th I started to pull on him. I had a custom tune, I have been working on, loaded in my PCM so I don't know if that hurt or helped my cause :P. In the corner of my eye I could see him speed shifting and we both nailed every shift so it is the closest race I have been in. We did start the race in the M3's upper RPM's so that prolly helped him keep up. Most M3's I race on the freeway I smoke :)

kimcheejeegae
09-09-05, 01:26 PM
very nice! that's how it should be.. M3s love the upper rpms... i have experienced the same results with a well driven M3...my friend had one before he sold it for a Porsche 993 Twin Turbo.. I would still pull on him but when he was in the right gear... it was very close until I hit 4th and then I'd pull. like you mentioned.. most other M3s I "race"... i SMOKE em!

blackonblackonblack
09-09-05, 01:54 PM
I race a fairly modded one every few days. A good friend of mine has one w/ an intake, Bilsteins, reflashed ecu, and full exhaust. The only time its pulled ahead of me was when my shift plate locked and I couldn't get into 3rd. These races are wayyy too close from 1st to 3rd. Once I get a maggie it should be fun to not only pulling on them, but getting slingshotted away from most competition

MWD
09-09-05, 09:55 PM
By 4th gear it is pretty much a hp battle alone. The V also has an advantage in 4th because the input shaft is directly coupled to the output shaft and applying the power directly vs. the secondary shaft will shave a few hp off the drivetrain losses, and put more at the wheels.

I have had a few problems getting into third also, but really only from 5th or 6th instead of second. I'm hoping that a B&M shifter will fix that.

Michael

DILLIGAF
09-09-05, 10:35 PM
I got killed by a convertible bmr hours ago,no badges anywhere,just ran away from me.

slow35th
09-09-05, 10:40 PM
I ran an M3 at the track with my LS1 camaro. We ran 3 races. My experience was that we were neck and neck up to about 65 mph. From 65 mph up I put several car lenghts on him all three times.

Dennisscars
09-09-05, 10:44 PM
I got killed by a convertible bmr hours ago,no badges anywhere,just ran away from me.

The horror... I'm sorry man, :grouphug:

time for a maggie...in a convertible it would have been a sound he would have not soon forgotten..:jawdrop:

DILLIGAF
09-10-05, 08:30 PM
I have a maggie,corsa,stealth tune,He got a jump never got out of it.When I hit 140 in a 55 I decided he wanted it more