: Never, Ever "Just Pay" a Speeding Ticket!!!

Flyboy
09-09-05, 11:26 AM
I'm so excited, I had to share this piece of information with all my friends here on the forum......:thumbsup:

I got a speeding ticket 'way back on June 22 coming home from Milan (where I got "lucky" with a 12.84 @ 112). State of Michigan trooper got me with a laser doing 90 in a 70 (I was on I-94). Gave me the Frickin' ticket for EXACTLY 90.....:wtf: I not bashing:cop:s , I have a lotta' :cop: buddies, they're GREAT!!!

So....I hire an attorney ($350), and he went to court a couple months ago. The trooper didn't show, so the court called and he was in a jury trial and couldn't be in two places at the same time.....so they adjourned the case. I get a call from my attorney a few minutes ago. The case was scheduled for 10:30AM. (I didn't have to be there). At 10:35AM...guess what????? No trooper.:jawdrop: My attorney said to the prosecutor "this is the second time he hasn't been here, lets' dismiss this case.....SHE agreed!!!!!:D :bouncy:

Thanks for listening.....Now my driving record is still perfect!!!!:excited:

erp2863
09-09-05, 11:59 AM
That is pretty much a no-brainer. An attorney can almost always get a ticket dismissed or pled down to a non-moving violation. Luckily in Texas you can erase a ticket once a year with driving school, which can now be taken online. Don't need a lawyer for that one. If you get a second ticket, a lawyer can get you deferred adjudication which means that one will get erased if you don't get a ticket in X number of months.

Ryan's '05-V
09-09-05, 12:07 PM
That is money well spent because I got a ticket last year and couldn't make it to court. I sent in a letter and the State Trooper who didn't want to give me a ticket since my record was clean (on I-94 & Moross) but told me he had to and to fight it. It was for 73 in a 55, my letter had it knowcked down to 60 in a 55 so that wasn't bad. I have had better success with my wife when she had a couple tickets.
I agree, always fight them because when I was 17 I was going 103 in 55 and had a lawyer with me and no cop and there was someone present who wanted to postpone it. The lawyer said we made this date as I was heading off to college out of state and it was dismissed.
I wish we had driving school here in MI. If we do, someone please tell me about it.

Skotty
09-09-05, 12:30 PM
A number of years ago I was out in the country on a long flat stretch of road I lived on, and I sped up to 80 and then slowed back down to try out some adjustments my brother and I made to my carbeurator. No one was on the road, accept for a police cruiser that was hiding in some bushes. The speed limit was 55, and a couple of weeks later it was increased to 60. So I got ticketed for doing 80 in a 55, even though I was only going 80 for about 2 seconds. Because it was more than 21 MPH over the limit, I had to go to court. The prosecutor recommened a $200 fine but the judge increased it to $400 for no apparent reason (I guess she didn't like the way I was dressed or something). I had no prior record or tickets. Ended up having to pay $460 for that ticket out of my own pocket I earned from a minimum wage job.

Anways, the fine was completely unjust. Yes I was speeding and deserved a ticket, but certainly not for $460 back in the early '90s when my family lived in poverty. Ever since then I have advocated high quality radar detectors to people (even the top-of-the-line Valentine One's with laser detection were cheaper than that fine was back then) and recommend using lawyers when you do get a ticket. I lost alot of respect for the law that year.

ahahnu
09-09-05, 01:06 PM
In the good ol' state of NJ if you get a ticket, you can go to court and plead in down with a lawyer. I say with a lawyer because you must be there and if you try yourself forget it. I've tried on my own, and the judge said I quote because I was so embarrassed in front of everyone, "I'm not going to suspend your license because I am hoping the DMV will take it longer then law will allow me to." Also I believe in NJ if you get a moving violation with points, you can reduce the dollar amount paid, or change the violation but you must keep the points, you can't reduce it to nothing. You are all lucky to live in states where they are a little lenient. The last time I got a ticket the cop was so pissed he had snot coming out of his nose. He also slapped me and my girlfriend 90 in a 40, when it was not possible to do that speed on that road. (we were racing and deserved tickets but he was over the top).

Luna.
09-09-05, 01:45 PM
Most speed limit laws are complete crap anyways, to say nothing about speed limit laws for V drivers...

David W. Bailey
09-09-05, 04:18 PM
Hey guys, I'm a city cop for a living (not a state trooper) and we have more duties than just traffic, but just to warn you, many departments are using "court liason officers" to prevent the "no show" style dismissals.

I love my V and I don't always follow the speed limits either. What really works for "getting out of tickets" is having a good attitude, a valid license, and insurance. Swearing, arguing, or getting excited usually does not work. Cops are often taken aback by polite drivers, that actually have insurance, and a real license! Also, time of day and location are really critical. If you see target enforcement signs in an area, you can probably forget a break. Same goes with residential areas and school zones.

Have fun and be safe and remember that city cops are usually the least likely to stop you, unless you are unlucky enough to encounter a city traffic unit.

ta206
09-09-05, 05:24 PM
I am also a city cop and I agree 100% with "Ofc." Bailey. And just to add my .02, its a crap-shoot when you take your ticket to court, ESPECIALLY without a lawyer. You might get it dismissed, you might not. Its all up to the judge and if he doesn't like you or doesn't like speeders or just is having a bad day, he can nail you for as much as he wants. Not that it happens often, but it happens. Lawyers work in the courtroom all the time and know the ins and outs of the law and the judges and they can usually take care of you if you don't mind spending money on the lawyer instead of the ticket.

Be careful out there.

urbanski
09-09-05, 05:45 PM
you can also see if your city/state have "Deferred disposition"
http://www.sanantonio.gov/court/probquest.asp

I paid a fee that was less than the cost of a lawyer and had to be a good boy for 6 months. Didn't have to go to court, didn't have to tell the wife :hide:

OldRoadDawg
09-09-05, 06:39 PM
. . . its a crap-shoot when you take your ticket to court, ESPECIALLY without a lawyer. You might get it dismissed, you might not. Its all up to the judge and if he doesn't like you or doesn't like speeders or just is having a bad day, he can nail you for as much as he wants. Not that it happens often, but it happens. Lawyers work in the courtroom all the time and know the ins and outs of the law and the judges and they can usually take care of you if you don't mind spending money on the lawyer instead of the ticket.

Be careful out there.
I'd second that opinion, based on having written over 15,000 speeding tickets. :lildevil:

homer403
09-09-05, 10:13 PM
Flyboy... excellent!

Dennisscars
09-09-05, 10:37 PM
Ok here's a thought.. speed limits do not apply to V's. Ticket fees double for ricers and mandatory car crushing for bimmers...:D

Hey if your going to dream, dream big..:duck:

Dennisscars
09-09-05, 10:40 PM
of course speeding is bad... I should trade my car in for a Geo metro....

nahh...

aburd
09-09-05, 11:26 PM
good lawyer friend, = no ticket. bottom line. passed a unmarked hi po last month (yes we are both traveling in the same direction on a two lane road) for a 82 in a 55. was polite like always, dropped ticket off to my buddy (city attorney) no fee, no ticket (1/5 crown royal and a gift certif to fav food joint) and poof it never made it to court.

it pays to know a good lawyer.

this was the third ticket in two years that has vanished.

my 2 cents
burd

ntechnic
09-10-05, 06:25 AM
Best strategy is first, be selective about when you speed. In my youth, I hot shoed everywhere, went to traffic school every year, and was always on the verge of losing my license (and did a couple of times). More mature now, 95% of the time, I stay within 5-10 mph of speed limits on city streets, never do exhibition of speed type starts from lights (unless the coast is very clear and I actively choose to), and actually drive very safely. I grew up racing, and watched people die on the street and the track, yet was still too fast too often. I once was the first person to reach a Chevy that rolled over due mostly to just stupid speeding and lack of awareness of what was ahead. The driver was a young pregnant woman, dead with a broken neck. I still dream of her lifeless eyes sometimes.

So I pick my times, mostly in the canyons or deserts, always on my side of the road, and if there's good visibility of the road, really nail the piss out of it and get it out of my system. Tires are cheap enough.

What really works for "getting out of tickets" is having a good attitude, a valid license, and insurance
A couple of years ago I was just cruising on the 210 freeway (which is a very fast freeway, 75-80 in fast lane is normal, rarely any HP) in my Cobra and in auto drive mental mode. Very light traffic, 500 hp under the hood, 90 or 95 without breathing hard. Drove right PAST a city cop. She pulled me over. License and reg and insurance card. Oh well, I thought, traffic school if she's nice to me and writes me as under 100. I was polite, as honest as I'll ever get, "I'm not sure how fast, but probably over the speed limit" I answered. She says, "Sir, I was doing 80 when you past me. That's why I pulled you over, very few sober people pass a marked car at over 90 mph."

She runs me and the car, we're clean of couse. She hands me back my paperwork, says, "I too have a nice muscle car at home, 90 is unreasonable, slow it down and have a good day."

I really like that woman.

Luna.
09-10-05, 04:41 PM
A couple of years ago I was just cruising on the 210 freeway (which is a very fast freeway, 75-80 in fast lane is normal, rarely any HP) in my Cobra and in auto drive mental mode.

*cough* bullsh*t *cough*...

The 210 a "fast" freeway?

yeah, maybe at 2 in the morning...

Traveling on the 210 is almost as bad as driving through LA on the 405--yeah, the traffic is that bad. :D

God--I hate the 210 freeway...:D

GNSCOTT
09-10-05, 06:25 PM
How about if you can't do the time, don't do the crime. I realize that your ticket was probably a madatory court visit, but it isn't right tying up an already crowded court system and taking a cop off the streets to fight a speeding ticket. Its up there in my book with pulling a false fire alarm. That cop can be doing something good for someone on the streets.

The system itself is more to blame. Too many people get off on reduced charges with pleas w/out even uttering a word. I think its good that some states allow you to go to driving school once a year to erase a ticket, that way the insurance companies can't gouge either.

Flyboy
09-10-05, 08:33 PM
GNSCOTT.....appreciate your comments. However, a cop isn't "taken off" the streets when he/she is in traffic court. (It's extra pay.) I happen to like cops.....OldRoadDawg&Officer Bailey jump in here if I'm "off base." So I assume you must drive RIGHT AT THE POSTED LIMIT all the time, and have never gotten a speeding ticket. I must also assume that IF you've ever gotten a speeding ticket....you just mailed a check???? WTF?? GMAB

Panzerleder
09-10-05, 11:49 PM
Hey, how come there are so many cops on here driving 50 Grand Cadillacs? I thought you guys were underpaid? Oh well, I guess that's good for the rest of us ... at least you're one of us.

As for someone brainlessly doing 90 on a crowded freeway, I have but one comment: take it to the track. There are all sorts of opportunities out there to get the testosterone out of your system with a visit to a local track. You'll definitely learn something, too, I guarantee.

wicked v
09-11-05, 12:05 AM
In California if the officer does not show up in court the ticket will be dismissed. Dont pay for a lawyer! If the officer is present the lawyer will ask for traffic school. You can also request traffic school prior to your testamony. When you walk into the court room ask the group of officers sitting together if who ever cited you is there. If they are there ask for traffic school. The lawyer rarely fights the ticket. If the officer is present they ask for traffic school. You can always fight the ticket but 99 times out of 100 you will lose. This has been my experience hundreds of times. If you do fight the ticket never admit do going even 1 mph over the speed limit, if you do you just convicted yourself. I've also seen that happen hundreds of times!

Luna.
09-11-05, 01:44 AM
It doesn't bother me at all that someone gets a reduced fine/penalty/whatever for speeding. Speed limit laws are overwhelmingly bullsh*t anyways. Accidents are seldom caused solely because people are speeding. Most accidents are caused by people who aren't paying attention. We shouldn't be trying to get people to drive slower, we should be teaching them to PAY ATTENTION TO DRIVING...

I've been driving for ~18 years and have not been involved in a single accident that was my fault. What makes this interesting is that I, basically, NEVER travel at the speed limit. So what does that mean---I'm the luckiest driver ever? Hardly...

PneuBird
09-11-05, 04:31 AM
Well........a fine hello to officer Bailey. One of your finest decided to ticket me on "270" over the Labor Day weekend. I really did not appreciate him being in the left hand berm of the highway. Pretty damm dangerous if you ask me and I sure didn't expect to see a crusier there. I understand holidays are a time when most accidents occur, but that was just unreal and under an overpass too!! I will be in court on this one!! :canttalk:

GNSCOTT
09-11-05, 10:05 AM
GNSCOTT.....appreciate your comments. However, a cop isn't "taken off" the streets when he/she is in traffic court. (It's extra pay.) I happen to like cops.....OldRoadDawg&Officer Bailey jump in here if I'm "off base." So I assume you must drive RIGHT AT THE POSTED LIMIT all the time, and have never gotten a speeding ticket. I must also assume that IF you've ever gotten a speeding ticket....you just mailed a check???? WTF?? GMAB

In the Grand scheme of things they are> Every police department has a budget and that is figured in. Its even worse that it is overtime pay. 3-1/2 days of an officer in court per week, per dept means one less officer they can hire, so figure in a large city like New Haven, Ct (Dad was a cop there for 33 yrs) suppose 20 officers spend a 1/2 day in court per week. That is 80 hours srtaight time, 120 hours overtime. That is 3 police officers, 2 if you want to count benefits, pension, etc.. That is just the cost to the police department. Now start figurning in the costs to the court.

ta206
09-11-05, 11:14 AM
Actually, a cop is "taken off the streets" if the cop works on the same day and shift that the court date is set for. So if he's on duty, he leaves his patrol zone in time to travel to court and get there before court starts, then has to sit through every case until each ticket that he wrote is called, and then he has to travel back to his patrol zone. And if he's off duty, he gets time and 1/2 for his testimony. Many agencies (like mine) have a minimum amount that the officer gets paid. In our case, its 2 hours.

unclewigging
09-11-05, 01:17 PM
I use Prepaid legal for all my tickets. Never lost a single one. www.prepaidlegal.com/hub/rlmaw

Luna.
09-11-05, 04:15 PM
I use Prepaid legal for all my tickets. Never lost a single one. www.prepaidlegal.com/hub/rlmaw (http://www.prepaidlegal.com/hub/rlmaw)

Prepaid legal is pretty cool. :D

And one heck of a company. Take a look at their respective 10Ks and 10Qs...that company is a monster

slow35th
09-11-05, 04:28 PM
I use Prepaid legal for all my tickets. Never lost a single one. www.prepaidlegal.com/hub/rlmaw (http://www.prepaidlegal.com/hub/rlmaw)

Do you have to pay any legal cost other than your monthly membership fee?

Luna.
09-11-05, 04:39 PM
Do you have to pay any legal cost other than your monthly membership fee?

It depends on what you are asking them to do for you. :D

David W. Bailey
09-11-05, 04:44 PM
Hey PneuBird:

Sorry about your bad luck, you sure that was not the state patrol?

Regards

Dave

OldRoadDawg
09-11-05, 05:25 PM
. . . decided to ticket me on "270" over the Labor Day weekend. I really did not appreciate him being in the left hand berm of the highway. Pretty damm dangerous if you ask me and I sure didn't expect to see a crusier there. I understand holidays are a time when most accidents occur, but that was just unreal and under an overpass too!! I will be in court on this one!! :canttalk:

Are you referring to I270 in MD? Cuz I've seen that tactic employed there. Even had a little up close and personal experience with it. Dumbest and most unsafe technique I've ever seen. But I seriously doubt that complaining about it in court will be much of a defense.

Besides . . . Remember all the times you were at 'Warp 9' and didn't get caught? :gungrin:

PneuBird
09-11-05, 10:02 PM
I can positively say my encounter was with the local Columbus police force and not the Ohio State police. I guess my being a card carrying member of the FOP didn't mean a thing to him!! And yes ....I was very curtious and gave him all the proper documentation!! :canttalk:

David W. Bailey
09-12-05, 07:19 AM
PneuBird:

FOP member (not FOPA?) and that did not help? I can see why you are upset!:confused:

thebigjimsho
09-12-05, 06:22 PM
Just a few points I'd like to bring up.

1. The first step in fighting a ticket in Massachusetts involves a trip to the clerk magistrate. This is mainly an exercise in futility in which your success rate of getting a ticket tossed is directly related to the mood of the magistrate involved. It's just the magistrate and a representative officer there. It's meant to be cold and intimidating. For most, you get a reduced fee and there is no officer time lost. I never settle unless the ticket is tossed, which is rare.

2. Breaking the speed limit is not black and white like most other laws in this country. I will not clump the following together. Murder is wrong. Embezzlement is wrong. Rape is wrong. Lying is wrong. Stealing is wrong. Speeding is wrong.

Speeding is not wrong. Speeding is an artificially low limit set by beurocrats and fanatically overwrought safety groups. These groups, in addition to the NHTSA, advertise statistics that are twisted. They need to be twisted in order to feed a revenue machine that helps fund state and local governments and the insurance companies that feed off fines and surcharges. You want safer roads? Have potentially licensed and currently licensed drivers go through much more stringent tests. Like others have said here, I myself constantly drive 10-25 mph over the limit yet I have no accidents in which I'm responsible for...ever.

3. If you get a ticket, you have due process. You ALWAYS have due process. The system and, it seems, many here want you to believe you are guilty until proven innocent. You have every right to defend yourself in a court of law. Traffic court, though seemingly different, is no different. If it takes an officer off the street, I'm sorry. Don't give me a ticket on a trivial matter. That's right, MOST speeding is trivial. Now, don't twist my meaning as though I'm a rebel who doesn't feel anyone should be pulled over. Of course there is a line where safety is breached. I'm not setting parameters in this argument. Weaving in and out of traffic at 90mph is something I'd love to see stopped. But don't insult my intelligence by saying I'm driving dangerously doing 82mph in a 65mph zone on an early morning on an empty highway.

4. If you don't want to prepare yourself, definitely get a lawyer. It does look good, the lawyer may know a few tricks or may know the judge or tendencies of a court personally. Now, personally, I know my circumstances better than any lawyer would and am more passionate about defending myself than a low paid lawyer. And I choose to be prepared. One can more than adequately examine the witnesses in court. And if you conduct yourself professionally and know how to perform, that will also impress a judge. But the key is to know how to examine the witnesses yourself. Note I didn't say to defend yourself. You are not obliged to state your case. The best thing to do is to pick apart the other side. And believe me, there are a lot of guidelines that can be violated by the ticket issuer. If anyone is interested in educating yourself, www.motorists.org (http://www.motorists.org)

I have the utmost respect for the police. I've never said a maligned word to an officer, ever. I understand why they do what they do and the risks they take every day. I just don't agree with the speeding issue. I don't fight them there, I use the due process afforded to me. That's all I'm saying.

Koooop
09-12-05, 06:44 PM

Prepaid legal got me out of 115 MPH ticket in AZ, it was reduced to $80 and nothing on my record...I had 7 cars traveling with me, all but the last car was stopped and cited by one cop, all got screwed except myself, another guy with prepaid legal and the last car. (Last car was a POS and couldn't keep up)

1977 Sedan De Ville, 425 cubic inches! 115MPH = WFO! That's all she had! That's over 2 tons of Detroit Iron comin' at ya!

YEEHAW!

Fight those tickets!

65mph_Roll
09-12-05, 09:05 PM
In California if the officer does not show up in court the ticket will be dismissed. Dont pay for a lawyer! If the officer is present the lawyer will ask for traffic school. You can also request traffic school prior to your testamony. When you walk into the court room ask the group of officers sitting together if who ever cited you is there. If they are there ask for traffic school. The lawyer rarely fights the ticket. If the officer is present they ask for traffic school. You can always fight the ticket but 99 times out of 100 you will lose. This has been my experience hundreds of times. If you do fight the ticket never admit do going even 1 mph over the speed limit, if you do you just convicted yourself. I've also seen that happen hundreds of times!

In CA, if you don't opt for traffic school before going to court, don't you waive your right to do so? Thatís part of the win-win, you go to school and donít impact your insurance, and we donít waste taxpayer dollars tying up courts with traffic violations.

Thatís the way I understood it.

Luna.
09-13-05, 12:50 PM
Just a few points I'd like to bring up.

1. The first step in fighting a ticket in Massachusetts involves a trip to the clerk magistrate. This is mainly an exercise in futility in which your success rate of getting a ticket tossed is directly related to the mood of the magistrate involved. It's just the magistrate and a representative officer there. It's meant to be cold and intimidating. For most, you get a reduced fee and there is no officer time lost. I never settle unless the ticket is tossed, which is rare.

2. Breaking the speed limit is not black and white like most other laws in this country. I will not clump the following together. Murder is wrong. Embezzlement is wrong. Rape is wrong. Lying is wrong. Stealing is wrong. Speeding is wrong.

Speeding is not wrong. Speeding is an artificially low limit set by beurocrats and fanatically overwrought safety groups. These groups, in addition to the NHTSA, advertise statistics that are twisted. They need to be twisted in order to feed a revenue machine that helps fund state and local governments and the insurance companies that feed off fines and surcharges. You want safer roads? Have potentially licensed and currently licensed drivers go through much more stringent tests. Like others have said here, I myself constantly drive 10-25 mph over the limit yet I have no accidents in which I'm responsible for...ever.

3. If you get a ticket, you have due process. You ALWAYS have due process. The system and, it seems, many here want you to believe you are guilty until proven innocent. You have every right to defend yourself in a court of law. Traffic court, though seemingly different, is no different. If it takes an officer off the street, I'm sorry. Don't give me a ticket on a trivial matter. That's right, MOST speeding is trivial. Now, don't twist my meaning as though I'm a rebel who doesn't feel anyone should be pulled over. Of course there is a line where safety is breached. I'm not setting parameters in this argument. Weaving in and out of traffic at 90mph is something I'd love to see stopped. But don't insult my intelligence by saying I'm driving dangerously doing 82mph in a 65mph zone on an early morning on an empty highway.

4. If you don't want to prepare yourself, definitely get a lawyer. It does look good, the lawyer may know a few tricks or may know the judge or tendencies of a court personally. Now, personally, I know my circumstances better than any lawyer would and am more passionate about defending myself than a low paid lawyer. And I choose to be prepared. One can more than adequately examine the witnesses in court. And if you conduct yourself professionally and know how to perform, that will also impress a judge. But the key is to know how to examine the witnesses yourself. Note I didn't say to defend yourself. You are not obliged to state your case. The best thing to do is to pick apart the other side. And believe me, there are a lot of guidelines that can be violated by the ticket issuer. If anyone is interested in educating yourself, www.motorists.org (http://www.motorists.org/)

I have the utmost respect for the police. I've never said a maligned word to an officer, ever. I understand why they do what they do and the risks they take every day. I just don't agree with the speeding issue. I don't fight them there, I use the due process afforded to me. That's all I'm saying.

I have to be honest---the above may be one of the best discussions on speeding, speeding tickets, etc. that I have read in a long time. I agree absolutely, positively, 100% with what was stated above.

pietroraimondi
09-16-05, 08:21 AM
The OldRoadDawg is right as he has written over 15,000 "pieces of paper" as an ex-CHIPS Officer in California. And he is one hell of a great guy I might add!

Here's my .02 from a legal prospective (law degree & insurance agency owner) as well as a a managing partner of Cadillac MotorSports, Ltd.

NEVER JUST PAY A SPEEDING TICKET! WORST MISTAKE OF YOUR LIFE!

Regardless of driving habits; even the safest of all drivers will incurr one speeding violation once every 10 years as proven by the insurance industry. My youngest brother is also a Maryland State Trooper and will tell you that the "scariest" moment in a police officers life is approaching a vehicle and not knowing who or what is waiting for him or her behind that steering wheel.

Here are some rules to live by to insure your safety and put the Officer at ease:

1. Never exit the vehicle and approach the officer.
2. Pull over immediatley and while doing so lower your drivers window and always "keep your hands at all times" on the steering wheel at the 3 o'clock and 9'o'clock position in "plain view of the Officer". The point being is that you want to put this officer at ease as his adenaline level is at a peak not knowing if your some crazed nut with a handgun sitting on your lap or whatever.

3. Let the Police Officer do the talking. He will tell you why he stopped you and will usually ask for the following documents: drivers license, proof of ownership (registration) and proof of insurance.

4. Tell the officer where they are located in the vehicle ( i.e. glove box; and you are now going to retrieve them per his instructions).

Remember that Police Officers are simply doing there job which is two fold. One is to generate State revenue regardless of what public elected officials will tell you "on the record" and the other is to enforce the law and keep idiot "street racers" from killing innocent motorists which I personally have no tolerance for and would ticket them myself if I could. That type of driving behavior belongs on the track and not on the public highways.

The reality is that all of us are subject to getting "plucked" for speeding at some time or other, but there is no excuse for reckless endangerment with regard to street racing as an adult, period. That is high-school immaturity and if your participating in that type of reckless endangerment; you get exactly what you deserve.

My point here is to always be courteous to the Officer and apologize in a sincere manner for your lack of "inattention". If you feel the need to tell the officer that you have been driving for 20 or more years and have a clean driving record; 95% of all Officers will actually tell you to "go to court" as they know that if that is true regarding your driving record; in 95% of all cases if you bring paid legal counsel ( an attorney ) it shows to the judge & court that you actually "care about your driving record". The judge also realizes that you probably paid at least a few hundred dollars for legal representation and more than likely that attorney that is representing you probably bought tickets to that judges relection campaign party and is known within the legal system. Showing up on your own is a "death sentence".

End result......that speeding ticket is usually reduced to nothing more than a monetary fine with no points or record of moving violation that will be recorded on you state driving record, nor will it be reported to your auto insurance company. In Maryland this is referred to as "probation before judgement" which means no points, no violation record with the motor vehicle department and most importantly no report to your insurance company that can literally cost you thousands of dollars in increased insurance premiums over a 3 to 5 year period.

So you see; that $150 ticket that you simply may have just paid out of "convenience" will cost you far more than $300 for an attorney and the sharp increase in insurance premiums as well as a mark on your driving record for the next 3 to 5 years.

Judges are "not out"[I] to trash or ruin responsible adults driving records. When you are courteous to the Police Officer and take time to show up in court and pay for an attorney; it sends a message to the court that you "care".

Also, don't forget that everything and anything that you say to that Officer at the time of the traffice stop is usually written down at the time of incident. If you act like an ass; the Officer is going to write that down. And when that judge asks that officer what your demeanor was on that particular day; you better hope that the Officer is able to say that you were apologetic, polite and courteous.

Trust me......civility goes a very long way and the end result is usually just a monetary fine and court costs. Bottom line is that between the cost of the attorney, the monetary fine and court cost; you might be out $500.00, but big deal. Your driving a high performance sports car and most importantly your driving record is intact without a smudge and you can feel better that your $500 helped the States economy is some small way!

ps: OldRoadDawg Dave: 15,000 pieces of CHP paper......really? That has to be a CHP record! My brother averages about 400+ a year. You are truly the "iron man" of paper! Now please tell me you didn't paper the "factory mules" on the desert highway!

OldRoadDawg
09-16-05, 10:39 AM
ps: OldRoadDawg Dave: 15,000 pieces of CHP paper......really? That has to be a CHP record! My brother averages about 400+ a year. You are truly the "iron man" of paper! Now please tell me you didn't paper the "factory mules" on the desert highway!

That number was an estimate from nearly 28 yrs . Actually Pete, I teetered between middle-of the-pack and slug in comparison to the hot pencils. :D
Sure got to see up close some interesting vehicles streaking across the desert on I10.

But now back to more important stuff like 'V's!

ocjmakaveli
10-05-05, 04:56 PM
Warning longggggg post my summary is right here below

my advice is NEVER JUST PAY A TICKET spend the money and use a lawyer.

================================================== =======
Well I figure I should post my experience

I'll admit that I have a little over 10 speeding tickets from the last 4 years of driving I'm now 20 and used to drive a lot for various reasons.Most of the tickets were incurred in 2 cars 1 being the 94 cadillac fleetwood which looks very mysterious and just draws attention from anyone and everyone which sometimes I dislike.(Like when I have to pay $800 in tickets a month on certain occasions and that's just paying the fine which was stupid of me)The other car is a 2000 suburban.

4 years ago when i lived in chicago I would get stopped for petty offenses but never ticketed for things like running a stop sign or so they said and similar things but these were mostly things they used to search me and get to know me just in case I was in a gang or something but once they knew me. I no longer had any problems with chicago cops.This was totally understandable because the gangs are a major concern and as long as I didn't get ticketed it didn't really bother me cause I would've done the same in their place.

Then about 3 1/2 years ago I moved to the suburbs and that's when all my tickets started really coming in for all sorts of things I was probably stopped more than 25 times in a 3 year period not including about 10 stops which were out of state in my parents suburban when we traveled to different states for annual vacations. The major problem is that even our 2000 suburban has chrome rims etc. so it attracts attention so I would get singled out even if I was just keeping up with traffic they'd single me out and add ridiculous charges like "too much swaying" which was total bullshit when I was passing through texas and it was incredibly windy even the officer admitted when i told him cause he had a jeep so he still gave me a warning on that one.

The major problem since I'm 20 is they stop me for anything it started about my front tints which admittedly were dark at 20% after about 4 tickets in 2 years I changed them to 50% that has since solved the problem.Yet at the same time I was getting pulled over for tints I was also getting tickets for not having a front license plate and since there was no bracket in front I just never put it on not to mention I didn't like the look but after numerous tickets which were more based on stopping me to interview me and wanting to ALWAYS search my damn car i put the damn thing on after paying a hefty price for it.

Keep in mind I am always very polite and never cause problems I for one don't like to annoy people that have a gun less than 12 inches away from their hand.....:duck:

The thing is when my dad gets stopped he acts like a total ass to them saying things like "What do you want now" and "Don't you have anything better to do?" yet they let him go because hes about 50 and they don't even give him any warnings they do let him know why they stop him but only verbally yet when they stop me for the same reasons I always get a ticket or warning.

I have gotten about 5 written warnings and 3-4 verbal warnings from some caddy admirers which usually let me know they like such and such about the car so I say thank you and go on my way.

The bottom line is that I always just paid the tickets and went to driving school when possible but this is expensive at about $80 each a ticket for in state tickets and the out of state tickets range from $140-185 because they add on some medical charges/fees for a fund.

When I've had to go to court they usually lower the price a few bucks than the original price and I pay it there and get it done with.

I do keep track on my speeding tickets because I had been told that if I got more than 2 tickets in a 2 year period my license woudl get suspended.

Yet about 18 months ago my license was suspended because I had gotten 2 speeding tickets one was about 22 months before my last one so if it had been about 6 weeks later the speeding ticket wouldn't of had been in the time range and my license wouldn't have been suspended for 30 days.Since I was working so much though i just didn't have the time to deal with it.

Now the present about 6 weeks ago I get a notice that my license will be suspended for 6 MONTHS which is 6 times longer than you can get for A DUI CONVICTION my dad had a DUI(car accident related) 3 years ago for a .09 and he got a 1 month suspension and a whole bunch of fines.Yet how can I get 6 times that length in suspension and I have no car accidents.

I decided to fight it because I could just not ask someone else to drive me around for 6 months and I would HAVE to drive and would just end up getting stopped for something stupid just adding more charges for driving etc.

I went to a lawyer and explained to him that my license was getting suspended because in a 3 year period it said I had gotten more than 2 violations I actuallyhad gotten 3 tickets.

1 ticket for going 61 in a 55 That's right +6 only but I was driving the suburban on the way back from texas and was stopped in southern illinois.

1 ticket in New york for going 90 in a 65 Ok i completely deserved this one which i paid 185 for through the mail.

The third ticket was close to my hometown and it was for not putting my turn signal on when changing lanes although there were no other cars at that time of night 2AM somehow the cop car saw me from far away and stopped me down the road. This one was about $90 i think.

I paid the last ticket the next day and received my suspension notice about a week later telling me i had 1 week before my suspension began.

I paid my lawyer $320 he said i didn't have to go to court with him and so 1 week later he tells me that he got me supervision for my last ticket and that i should get a notice soon in the mail.I received a notice this Monday that my license was valid and I could drive again.:lildevil: :lildevil: :lildevil: :lildevil: :lildevil:

Not bad at all.

My dad kept telling me not to waste my money because what if the lawyer didn't do anything and the judge just said no etc.

I though, came to this conclusion living in a capitalist country(not entirely bad) if every time someone fought a ticket if every time the judge said NO etc. then NO one would fight their ticket then traffic lawyers would have nothing to do and if there are no traffic lawyers to go to court then the judge would have nothing to judge. It just made more sense to me that if I paid this money which would go around giving everyone in court something to do thus getting paid and giving the lawyer something to do thus getting paid that I had a good chance of getting something done in my favor and it paid off.

If I would have known that the "system"
was really this corrupt(not all bad) I would have done this sooner and kept a cleaner record which my record is deep fried at the moment.

I can no longer have insurance in my name because state farm almost doubled my insurance rate and if I paid my insurance policy with state farm I could honestly buy an Escalde with that money.

My advice go to court whenever possible even if it's not always affordable just the insurance money you'll save is definitely worth it.

The only thing that BURNS me I mean BURNS me is 90% of my speeding tickets are when the STREETS ARE EMPTY i honestly whole-heartedly mean EMPTY at 2AM etc. when I am speeding but I see no danger in it because there's not many other people around. Most of the time when I do get a traffic ticket it's when I'm distracted not paying attention to see if their are cops ahead but when I'm racing having fun going 100 etc. I don't get stopped but if I'm just having a good day cruising at 70 etc. on vacation I'll get stopped :thepan: i don't know if it's karma or some other odd thing but my choice are either drive a ford taurus or keep paying the cost to have what I LIKE/WANT.

Note: to those who say the "system" is fair that is total Bulls*** I have yet to be stopped and ticketed in the other vehicles I've driven including a 90 dodge caravan....93 doge caravan.....92 lumina.....88 ford taurus....97 grand prix.....01 ford windstar......countless other everyday cars that don't stand out, I have the same driving habits in all these cars and I am even more daring in the other standard cars yet I have yet in 4 years gotten a ticket in the other cars. Keep in mind i have driven the other cars more than my fleetwood and suburban as these are mostly weekend cars but I have gotten stopped in these 2 cars only.

I'd probably have a ticket-free record if i didn't drive my 2 favorite cars =)

That's life I guess if it was just a little less stupid the way they come up with laws it would make life easier........A day at a time ..A day at a time.

I hope this helps someone realize that having some nice isn't always easy to maintain not only must you work hard to get it but you have to work hard to keep it from getting it stolen and you have to work hard to pay the tickets you'll incur from all the attention cops will give you :cool2:

All in all besides getting stopped about twice a month It's worth it to stand up for what I want and to be able to enjoy myself in my dream car.

ocjmakaveli
10-05-05, 05:03 PM
Btw I must add that although my post does point out how stupid people are sometimes, not excluding myself at times (maybe i'm stubborn but what'd you do if your favorite car was in jeopardy because cops didn't like how it looked trust me many of you would've done the same) This is what we have to deal with and I thinkit is most important to realize that we must play the "game" or system in the way it was designed many people in other countries are worse off and I'm not here to complain about the system but just pointing out it is flawed since it is based on human perception to enforce the law.

Would I not stop a White caddy with 22" rims with tints all around I really don't know but if I was a cop I'd probably would at least once, WHY? because my instincts would leave me to believe that if I can't see something then there must be something bad etc. its just human instinct.

I must point out I have never been stopped by the same cop twice but it sure does seem there are plenty of cops to go around :halo:

Good day gentlemen I'm glad someone made this thread.