: Another WANT-a-be VEE

Rikmyster
09-09-05, 12:27 AM
Well, it seems there are copy cats who try to pass their cars off as a TRUE VEE.

Tonight I saw one on the 55 Freeway. I caught up with him only to realize he has "just' placed a VEE emblem on his rear trunk deck. It was even in the wrong place, and none on the sides. When we got to the 19th street light he asked how I know his was not a real VEE ... I told him I owned one (I was on my VTX 1800R). He laughed and wished me well ... "B ROSS" was his tag. Hope he reads this.

Next time I'll show him what my other real VEE can do as I was on my VTX and I left him standing still.

:dance:

ahahnu
09-09-05, 12:02 PM
I have a kid in my town that has a black cts with our grill. I just rev it everytime I pass him. He'll never catch me. hehe

AmesCTS-V
09-09-05, 02:06 PM
There are a lot of conversions going on over on the CTS board. I can understand they want to make thier car look better, but I do think it will lead to a lot of "V kills".

dqw1
09-09-05, 02:45 PM
I seen a 03 CTS a few months back at a stereo shop, (right before I traded in my CTS for a V). The guy at the shop that installed a system in the car told me the owner said it was a V. Wouldn't you know it, NO V EMBLEMS anywhere on the car, NO V on the dash, NO V grill/bumper. Why would you lie like that? I just shook my head and walked away.

I agree, there will be some false V kills once some exterior mod's are made on the CTS. BTW, I love the CTS but it is not a V no matter what you do to it.:bomb: :bomb:

dannystang
09-09-05, 03:00 PM
There is some kind of new "sport" caddy vtx or something...

Its like a fully loaded 8 cyl or something...

Ive had to run a few off the road for posing.

CTSVONFIRE
09-12-05, 11:27 AM
No, the vtx is a body kit by Vogue. Plain old cts w/ a kit. The v has a different front bumper cover and is a six lug. That's the easiest way to tell. Try checkin for the size of the rotors also.

FrankRizzo
09-12-05, 12:08 PM
When I was shopping for my V I visited a dealer that at first glance appeared to ONLY cary CTS-V! That is until I realized it was an aftermarket grill they put on EVERY CTS and EVERY STS. The sales manager explained to me that it looked so good they decided to put it on all their cars (and charge an awful lot too - even though it was an aftermarket grill).

That was Heritage Cadillac in Lombard, IL. You see the fake CTS-Vs driving around periodically.

ylwjacket
09-12-05, 12:13 PM
the cts-vxi's that I've seen cost in the mid to upper 40's anyways. I couldn't understand why someone would buy everything but the engine.

drivered
09-12-05, 12:37 PM
I got mine from Heritage too. I, like you walked up and thought I had a good selection to choose from until I got closer. Any problems with their service?

1MEANV
09-12-05, 12:38 PM
all i can say is want to be v's reik

RobertCTS
09-12-05, 12:46 PM
Some of us CTS guys are just looking for styling features. The V has a nice looking aggressive bumper and side skirts. I don't like the V grill at all. I think the V bumper with the body colored grill is very aero and aggressive looking. No one will mistake it for a V.

1MEANV
09-12-05, 01:07 PM
forget the car nice house lol

-uplink-
09-12-05, 01:17 PM
Hehe, about a year ago there was a Honda on E-bay... the guy put the BMW Z3 fenders on it, BMW mirrors, M3 body kit, even went so far as to paint the entire car Laguna Seca Blue (beautiful color btw)...

For the life of me I can't fathom why people dump all that money into making their car look like something else when they can just use that money to buy the car they are impersonating in the first place. :cookoo:

Around here there are a lot of base CTS's with the V grilles. It seems to be a styiling thing, just like the people putting the Bently style grilles on 300's.
-Mike

BlackDog!
09-12-05, 01:31 PM
I'm thinking of putting the stock CTS grill on my V and removing the badges....really take some of those guys by surprise...:lildevil:

04CTSVforMe
09-12-05, 03:10 PM
There is a white non-V in the Plano, TX area, too. Saw it the first time and thougth for a second he had his V painted to have a unique color.

After we saw it the second time (this time it was parked) I had the wife check to see if it had a NAV system & 6-speed and it didn't, and it also didn't have the correct front fascia. After driving away I thought, duh! Just count the lugs! Anyway, it looks nice, but I too hope we don't see to many "beat a V" stories from these cars.

Dooman
09-12-05, 03:29 PM
I think the stainless grills look great, they are on everything now. The SUV's and trucks are all over the place with similiar grills. No need to get defensive I say. I've got one in my Ram.

Chuck_V
09-12-05, 03:37 PM
I ran into a poser V here today on 485. It looked like the guy was trying to keep the illusion he was driving a V by riding my ass for a second...... Ok, billionth of a second. ;)

I guess our grills have the same effect as stickers and swingset wings for ricers. Instant 400HP!! :D

C

kimcheejeegae
09-12-05, 03:40 PM
Some of us CTS guys are just looking for styling features. The V has a nice looking aggressive bumper and side skirts. I don't like the V grill at all. I think the V bumper with the body colored grill is very aero and aggressive looking. No one will mistake it for a V.

Uh.. sorry... but plenty of people will mistake it for a V... people hardly know what a CTS-V is.... countless people come up to me and say... nice CTS.. what do you have a V6?? I stare them in the eye.. quietly walk over and pop the hood... and i point and say.. LS6. THEN.. they get it.. no one on the road or freeway can differentiate between a V and a CTS... only the handful of car enthusiasts can...

heavymetals
09-12-05, 05:01 PM
Uh.. sorry... but plenty of people will mistake it for a V... people hardly know what a CTS-V is.... countless people come up to me and say... nice CTS.. what do you have a V6?? I stare them in the eye.. quietly walk over and pop the hood... and i point and say.. LS6. THEN.. they get it.. no one on the road or freeway can differentiate between a V and a CTS... only the handful of car enthusiasts can...

You ought to see the looks on their faces when I pop the hood on my "V" and it looks like something off a ski boat!

Polished maggie.:lildevil: :shhh: :highfive:

AznPrydeRegalRyde
09-12-05, 05:12 PM
Guys, I've had a guy comment on how nice the v8 must be in my CTS. It happens both ways.

By the way, flame all you want, but the mesh grill isn't the V grill. It's just the grill that came on the V. The badges? Yeah, those belong to V's. But the grill is just a mesh grill and that's it.
CTS'ers change to the mesh grill because they think the stock grey plastic grill looks cheap for a Cadillac, which it does. They could go aftermarket, have it not look as nice, and pay more for a cheap heavier grill. Or!...they could go OEM...

Funny that you guys worry more about what others are driving, then what you are driving.

ahahnu
09-12-05, 05:16 PM
I was just at the dealer to drop pff my car, and I saw them selling a CTS with a mesh grill for 1900 more then the MSRP. -uplink- no joke, I know a kid that did that to his civic and I believe he sold it on ebay. I swear, was it around october-november time frame

AznPrydeRegalRyde
09-12-05, 05:17 PM
There are a lot of conversions going on over on the CTS board. I can understand they want to make thier car look better, but I do think it will lead to a lot of "V kills".
Would you ever put the dual exhaust from the 2005 GTO on yours?

kimcheejeegae
09-12-05, 05:41 PM
Guys, I've had a guy comment on how nice the v8 must be in my CTS. It happens both ways.

By the way, flame all you want, but the mesh grill isn't the V grill. It's just the grill that came on the V. The badges? Yeah, those belong to V's. But the grill is just a mesh grill and that's it.
CTS'ers change to the mesh grill because they think the stock grey plastic grill looks cheap for a Cadillac, which it does. They could go aftermarket, have it not look as nice, and pay more for a cheap heavier grill. Or!...they could go OEM...

Funny that you guys worry more about what others are driving, then what you are driving.

Instead of coming back with "fightin" words... why don't you pony up and get a REAL v.

Talk all you want...

The grill isn't a big deal...(although accordin to your logic.. the mesh grill isn't a V grill, it just comes on the Vs... HRMMMMM???!!!????? Sounds to me that it's a V Grill) in any case, I digress... it's when CTS guys start putting CTS-V bumpers/valences on their cars... or V badges on their CTSs.

urbanski
09-12-05, 05:48 PM
wow
this elitist attitude makes some of you sound worse than porsche guys

dannystang
09-12-05, 06:39 PM
I wouldn't say elitest attitude...

I hate when people say hey I saw one of those on the road and smoked it in my toyota tercel...

Then I have to waste my breath explaining the whole reason why mine sounds so different.

Time is money.

Hence you owe me money urbanski.

OMG thats actually a logical explanation...

odysseus
09-12-05, 06:50 PM
I know I, for one, don't like where this seems to be headed. We all drive CTS's, and the V happens to be the Pimp Daddy of all CTS's. I agree that anyone who tries to pass off his CTS as a V is a dumbass. Anyone who tries to RACE his/her CTS and pass it off as a V is asking to be PROVED a dumbass. I got that out of the way long ago with my 396, 4-speed '69 Chevelle in high school.

The flip side is that not everyone buys a car to street race. I got mine to drive 30K miles a year for business. I love the V looks but $1000+ tires that last less than 10K miles and V8 gas mileage just won't do. Cadillac now offers the V side skirts, a 6 speed transmission, and 18" wheels on the CTS Sport. I don't know why anyone would fault anyone else for his/her mods. Everyone from Neon owners, to Scion Owners, to GTO and Corvette owners mod their cars. The CTS is no exception but we have some really cool FACTORY parts (from the V) we can put on without looking like they were add-ons (like the Vogue body kits).

For the record, (That's my CTS in the second pic RobertCTS posted earlier in this thread) I've got a V front bumper and lower grill (with a body colored CTS grill), 18" Mille Miglias, Borla Dual exhaust, 14" two piece Brembo brakes, Eibach springs with FE4 shocks, either on or going on, with V sway bars, new CTS-Sport front grill and rear spoiler, being ordered soon. I agree for what I have into it, I could have bought a V. Incidentally the personal license plate I'll be ordering next week will read "NOTTA V". No V badges here.

It's not about money for me. I (as have others) bought my car new with cash, as well as cash for all of my mods, and everything else I buy. If I truely was convinced the V would suit my lifestyle better, I would have paid cash for one, too. Although after our last trip to the Corvette Museum, my girlfriend seems to think an LS7 Z06 would suit me better for ripping around town. The CTS would end up being my beater car.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the CTS-V. But having two CTS's would be kinda silly.

urbanski
09-12-05, 06:53 PM
I wouldn't say elitest attitude...

I hate when people say hey I saw one of those on the road and smoked it in my toyota tercel...

Then I have to waste my breath explaining the whole reason why mine sounds so different.

Time is money.

Hence you owe me money urbanski.

OMG thats actually a logical explanation...
lol
:p

urbanski
09-12-05, 06:56 PM
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the CTS-V. But having two CTS's would be kinda silly.
you get them shocks yet?? :)

odysseus
09-12-05, 07:03 PM
Scheduled to arrive today! Hopefully, the Eibachs, and WildWhl spacers will go in with the shocks this weekend (finally).

Adam
09-12-05, 07:24 PM
... it's when CTS guys start putting CTS-V bumpers/valences on their cars... or V badges on their CTSs.

i dont see any problem with the bumpers or the valence but the badges are just wrong. if you arent running 400 ponnies under the hood of your CTS then you should not have V badges on it. i wanted to put V wheels on mine but i found out they were 6 lug and mine was 5 so i guess that is out. the mesh grilles from eg classic came out when the CTSs first came out, or soon after anyway. but the mesh grille is a V trademark.

Koooop
09-12-05, 07:35 PM
I agree for what I have into it, I could have bought a V.

Come on...You can tell us...We already know...

Secretly you Jones for a LS6 (or LS2).

:burn:

Jurisimprudence
09-12-05, 09:37 PM
I like to tell people that I have the "base model" cadillac. In fact, I sometimes mention that its not even an automatic to down play it a bit.

Luna.
09-12-05, 09:47 PM
I like to tell people that I have the "base model" cadillac. In fact, I sometimes mention that its not even an automatic to down play it a bit.

Exactly...

What some people need to consider is this: If you truly are a "stud," have an animal car, whatever...you do NOT need to broadcast it. People will know...trust me. :)

That is why arrogant people are so damn annoying. 95 out of a 100 times, they shouldn't be talking in the first place...

dqw1
09-12-05, 10:08 PM
I had a Redline CTS with a V grill and it looked good.
just don't tell people your CTS is a V:thepan:

odysseus
09-13-05, 12:10 AM
Come on...You can tell us...We already know...

Secretly you Jones for a LS6 (or LS2).

OK, so having a CTS and a CTS-V at the same time would be silly, but yeah, it would be cool.

(Yes, I lust for one!) :D

I really do envy you guys.

JOEYCTS-V
09-13-05, 12:17 AM
I saw a fugazi V on the cross island parkway the other day. The guy must have been embarrassed when I pulled up next to him so he just looked the other way. :thehand:

65mph_Roll
09-13-05, 12:35 AM
It's worse for us Cobra owners...

65mph_Roll
09-13-05, 12:37 AM

"it's not even an automatic"...and 2% of the population even gets that!

heavymetals
09-13-05, 12:46 AM
Imitation is flattery.

If they are happy running around in replicars then good for them, the cheap bastards.

Wait till somebody comes out with a body/conversion kit for the ALTIMA:eek:

There will be 1000's of "V's" :histeric:

AznPrydeRegalRyde
09-13-05, 01:15 AM
Instead of coming back with "fightin" words... why don't you pony up and get a REAL v.

Talk all you want...

The grill isn't a big deal...(although accordin to your logic.. the mesh grill isn't a V grill, it just comes on the Vs... HRMMMMM???!!!????? Sounds to me that it's a V Grill) in any case, I digress... it's when CTS guys start putting CTS-V bumpers/valences on their cars... or V badges on their CTSs.

Oooh, ouch, got me there. I'm actually thinkin' about gettin' a V now. I have no use for my PSD truck anymore (which, by the way, unless your maggie'd, will see my tail lights) and from driving my old man's V, I'm totally up for dropping the cash. I could get a vette for the same price, but my '58 is sexier ;)

Either way, what I'm saying is that the V grill, and any other unique V part besides badges is just a look. The fact that the real changes are under the hood and body, should be what you really care about. I mean, which is more important, the kid driving the 3.2L with 5 spd and a V front air dam, or the real V you are driving? Standing remotely near the 2 and listening would tell any dumbass that something is different between them. Badges, I totally agree.

DeVillish
09-13-05, 05:31 AM
I for one cant afford a 50 grand car, if i could i damn sure would get a V. But i do know that i will be putting a V bumper on mine and doing alot of other stuff to it over time. As i said, over time. Hell being a LCpl in the Marines iam friggin lucky i can afford a base CTS. Oh, and if you really wana get mad....look at this.....its a Civic....

RobertCTS
09-13-05, 06:33 AM
To me it's no friggin' big deal. The only emblem on my car other than the grill is a Cadillac script on the trunk. I've got a V bumper, side skirts and body painted base grill. I'm not tryin' to be anybody but myself. So slackin' up when somebody borrows a body part. :D

Zeppelin
09-13-05, 06:54 AM
Its just like back in the day. Everyone seemed to be slapping Z-28 emblems, or rally sport front ends on their base camaros, or big block emblems and stripes on their malibus. Bottom line was it was pretty embarrasing when they had to pop the hood. We didn't appreciate seeing it then, and now isn't any different. There will always be 'wanna-be's in the world. For anyone saying 'its NOT a V piece', keep telling yourself that.

Chuck_V
09-13-05, 08:26 AM
Oh, and if you really wana get mad....look at this.....its a Civic....

Nah, thats ok cause it doesn't have a V grille ;) j/k :histeric:

Imagine the fabrication that went in to that thing.

odysseus
09-13-05, 11:06 AM
There will always be 'wanna-be's in the world. For anyone saying 'its NOT a V piece', keep telling yourself that.

What about V owners who put StealthV's 'Corvette' engine covers on, in place of the stock 'tupperware' engine cover? The V is no Corvette just because it shares the motor, but I for one would NOT call a V owner a 'poser' because he did it. The CTS shares more body parts (including the body) with a V than a V shares with the Corvette. The V is an incredible car in it's own right, just as the CTS is a great car in it's class. I'm not sure why putting V parts on a CTS makes it a wanna-be, but putting the fugly Vogue body kit would be OK. Eibach sway bars on a CTS are OK, but factory V sway bars and FE4's are not???? If that was the case it would be uncool for anyone to put any mods on their cars.

To each his own. Anyone who can't tell the LS6 rumble, 6 lug wheels, and massive brakes, V interior, etc, from a CTS with a body kit doesn't know what a V is. More often than not, those are punk kids with a 'my Civic is better than your Neon' attitude. And for those who can tell the difference, who cares, since the truth is more than obvious. I know that I don't like 99% of the mods people do to their cars or motorcycles, but I do appreciate each customizing them to their individual taste in order to not look like every other one on the road. As has been mentioned by many, V logos on anything but a V is totally uncool. (As is putting a Caddy logo on a Civic.)

urbanski
09-13-05, 11:17 AM
... but factory V sway bars and FE4's are not???? ...
yeah anybody who puts FE4s on a CTS is a poser!!!! :D :cloud9:;)

Florian
09-13-05, 12:00 PM
I want your 58 Vette!!!!!!

Trade ya for my V :)

F

Zeppelin
09-13-05, 03:03 PM
What about V owners who put StealthV's 'Corvette' engine covers on, in place of the stock 'tupperware' engine cover? The V is no Corvette just because it shares the motor, but I for one would NOT call a V owner a 'poser' because he did it.

I'd say a better analogy would be if a C5 vette owner put Z06 engine covers on their vette, trying to pass it off as a Z06. Not cool.

Anyone who can't tell the LS6 rumble, 6 lug wheels, and massive brakes, V interior, etc, from a CTS with a body kit doesn't know what a V is. As has been mentioned by many, V logos on anything but a V is totally uncool. (As is putting a Caddy logo on a Civic.)

Agreed.

Larry

AznPrydeRegalRyde
09-13-05, 03:03 PM
I want your 58 Vette!!!!!!

Trade ya for my V

F

No go, my friend. :) This was my grandpa's car, and my fathers, and now mine. It's a Signet Red, 283 fuel injected, 3 spd, and goddamn I love it! :)

By the way, the reason I piped in on this convo is because of how Caddy owners are getting this elitest rep, like Benz'ers. Without the CTS, the V would have never happened. And without the V, standard spec on all models wouldn't keep going up. Every CTS(V) is important. And the fact that we borrow from your looks sometimes shouldn't be a insult.

Does it really matter if some 19 yr. old punk in his Neon or Integra says he beat on a V?

Koooop
09-13-05, 08:42 PM
Don't let anyone piss on your parade dammit! Make that CTS look as cool a possible! Not everyone gets to have a V. A few years ago I drove the CTS sport for two weeks and I loved the car (I just gave it back and said let me know when it has a V8).

My Dad bought this Vette new in 1968, I've been driving it since 1979.

crowan
09-13-05, 09:58 PM
Don't let anyone piss on your parade dammit! Make that CTS look as cool a possible! Not everyone gets to have a V. A few years ago I drove the CTS sport for two weeks and I loved the car (I just gave it back and said let me know when it has a V8).

I have to agree. In the final analysis, we are all car guys/gals, and whatever floats your boat, go for it. I have no idea why anyone would go to the time and expense of turning a Honda into a CTS, but if that makes you happy, rock on.

If you want to change the look of your CTS with grills, wings, wheels etc., you bought it so mod it to your heart's content. Its all good.

CR

heavymetals
09-13-05, 11:35 PM
There is a very fine line between "poetic license" and FALSE ADVERTISING.:histeric:

B Hoth
09-14-05, 12:29 AM
Whatever happened to imitation is the greatest form of flatery. I think the CTS look has caught on and others are trying to mimic it, just look at the new Ford Fusion front end. I say enjoy the flatery of it and enjoy that others dream of owning and you actually do, ........I know I would!:yup:

RobertCTS
09-19-05, 04:38 PM
Well here's my use of the V bumper. Doesn't look anything like a V. Very Stealth looking IMO. Hope you like it.http://usera.imagecave.com/BobsWork/v-grill-6.jpg