: found the source of the banging in my rear

Texan V
09-08-05, 10:53 PM
The last couple of weeks the parade clunk has turned into a hard banging damn near every time that I press in the clutch or let the clutch out. While in gear cruising I can feather the gas pedal back and forth very slightly and get it to bang like crazy. It feels like the whole ass end is rocking back and forth.

I crawled under there tonight thinking that perhaps some bolts were loose since I have read that for a few folks that’s what was causing their rear ends to make a banging or clunking sound.

I was only under there for about 10 minutes but never even bothered to check bolt torques or anything like that. I quickly noticed that one of the bolts that holds the rear in place had this chunk of rubber sort of hanging out from between the bolt and the rear. After barely touching it, it just fell out onto the floor. It looks like a rubber isolation bushing that disintegrated.

So it now makes perfect sense. With that bushing wasted the rear was actually rocking back and forth hitting metal against metal.

Here’s the million dollar question…

Is P/N 89058605 the replacement for this bushing?

I have attached pictures of the bolt and the chunk of rubber that fell out.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13430&stc=1
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13431&stc=1

ctsvett
09-08-05, 11:09 PM
Now seriously.. tell me that you meant the title of this thread to be a joke... out of context it sounds TERRIBLE!

HAHAHA

Hard to tell, but where on the diff is that bushing?

Reed

Texan V
09-08-05, 11:21 PM
Yeah I know how it sounds. I didn't put very much thought into the title...:duck:

I couldn't jack the car up high enough to get the camera far away enough so as to get a better picture. Laying on the ground, feet poking out the rear of the car, looking up at the differential, this bushing is on the front left of the dif.

GM parts direct showed this P/N to be a bushing amd it was only $9 so I went ahead and ordered it. I'll check dealers tomorrow to see if any has it in stock so I won't have to wait a week but I'm sure that's not very likely.

slow35th
09-08-05, 11:25 PM
Now seriously.. tell me that you meant the title of this thread to be a joke... out of context it sounds TERRIBLE!

HAHAHA

Reed

I thought that only happened in prison:duck:

crowan
09-08-05, 11:59 PM
I read the thread title and thought we had a new feature: the late-night "Adult Forum"

CR

Florian
09-09-05, 12:25 PM
gives new meaning to "check 6"

F

Psychstudent80
09-09-05, 12:46 PM
If you found that chunk after there was banging in your rear, maybe it's a dingleberry!

ahahnu
09-09-05, 12:55 PM
Did Nasty Nate come out of left field requiring your cocktail fruit? How about the squirrel master call you his bitch?