: Help!!

onecad
11-24-03, 03:01 PM
I took my intake manifold cover off, and put it back on.
Now when i start the car, the rpm's sky rocket, so i need to shut the car off immediately. WHAT DID I DO???
(1994 eldorado)
thanks joe

onecad
11-24-03, 03:38 PM
nevermind!!!...i fixed it..the plate that says northstar on it i had placed on wrong...its all good
thanks

JJhomer83
11-24-03, 03:54 PM
nevermind!!!...i fixed it..the plate that says northstar on it i had placed on wrong...its all good
thanks

Gotta love those problems. Glad to see you cought it yourself though

onecad
11-27-03, 01:49 PM
I do have a question regarding the manifold cover....Ilooked at the seal on it, it doesn't seem like a very sophisticated seal considering what happened when it wasn't tight to the manifold. As I mentioned, when i didn't have it on straight and started the car, the rpm's just sky rocketed, and it popped and banged a bit. Immediately I had to shut it off.
Can anyone explain to me what the deal is with this problem that occurred, and if that seal is something that maybe should be replaced, even though that rev problem has stopped???
If there is a very minor, minor leak what would the side effects be? By the way, I tried looking in my manuals but it couldn't answer my question.

thanks
joe

lido
11-27-03, 06:25 PM
The intake cover has a silocine bead around it to seal it. Its very important that there is a good seal here due to the vacuum.For one, on early models the fuel rack is inside the manifold and the Fuel Pressure Regulator also.The FPR on these models doesnt have a vacuum hose attaches to it it get the vac. from being inside the manifold.I also think that the map is inside too.

onecad
11-27-03, 06:46 PM
So is the seal put on the outside edge after the manifold cover is "already" installed????
Or do you put the bead on it the contacting edge before installing the cover???
Yes the map sensor is in there, I saw it just on the left when I had the cover off.

How can I tell if its leaking since it the vacuum obviously sucks in?

thanks

lido
11-28-03, 12:46 AM
You can see the silicon bead on the cover, inspect it carefully, if you see any broken you have to apply a small bead of silicon where its gone.What kind of problem are you having?If you have a hard to start problem after the engine is hot,and poor gas milages your fuel pressure regulator is more likely shot.