: Best Tires

Vedder
09-08-05, 02:53 PM
I just recently went through a pair of GS-D3's. I am now thinking about Pirelli or the Michellins. Can someone give me there thoughts.

Dreamin
09-08-05, 02:57 PM
Good thread: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49860

My opinion on "best tires" in post #27

How many miles did you get out of the GS-D3's??

Staxxin
09-08-05, 03:11 PM
I've been thinking about getting a set of Pirelli Nero M&S 245(fr) 275(rear)... Anyone have any thoughts on the M&S'?

kimcheejeegae
09-08-05, 03:13 PM
Excellent tires.

Bridgestone S03
Toyo T1S and the new T1R
Michelin Pilot Sport
Goodyear F1 GSD3
BFgoodrich KDW2 and KDs
Pirelli PZero Assimitrico, Corsa and Nero

Good tires... good reviews
Kumbo Ecsta MX
Nitto 555

Excellent Track/stickys
Toyo RA-1
Michelin Pilot Sport Cups

trukk
09-08-05, 03:15 PM
How many miles did you get out of the GS-D3's??

And to compare/contrast, how many miles did you get out of your innitial F1's? Also did you gat an alignment at any time?

I drive my car farily aggressively and had two trackdays (200 minutes) on my F1's and got 15k miles on them. I just switched over to GS-D3's a few weeks back.

-Chris

Dreamin
09-08-05, 03:43 PM
Anyone have any thoughts on the M&S'?

Yes, my thoughts are that M&S (all-season) tires dont do anything especially well (i.e. suck at everything).. Not the best in dry handling, nor wet handling, and OK in the snow.

Why not run a 'max performance' tire during the summer... and get some snow tires for the winter... There's even a RF in our size: Dunlop Winter Sport M3.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=W&VT=C

Luna.
09-08-05, 03:49 PM
If memory serves, Florian spoke very highly of the Avons (M550 a/s 245-45-18s). He was claiming ~20k miles and only ~1/2 way through the tread, and they were excellent in both the rain and snow.

That sounded pretty good to me. :)

If the general consensus that there is a better tire for long-term wear, while not sacrificing performance to an unreasonable degree, I'd definitely like to know about it.

urbanski
09-08-05, 04:09 PM
anything Dreamin says...stick wtih that :)

Staxxin
09-08-05, 11:31 PM
Yes, my thoughts are that M&S (all-season) tires dont do anything especially well (i.e. suck at everything).. Not the best in dry handling, nor wet handling, and OK in the snow.

Why not run a 'max performance' tire during the summer... and get some snow tires for the winter... There's even a RF in our size: Dunlop Winter Sport M3.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=W&VT=C

Thanks!!!! Good Advice!!!!

azombie
09-09-05, 02:46 AM
I have Nero M+S on right now since it will be winter soon here in Boston.

so far they are a decent tire. Much nicer ride than the runflats. Obviously can't corner quite as well but it isn't THAT bad...

i won't really know how they are until winter gets here though...

PneuBird
09-09-05, 04:10 AM
I've got 11000 miles on my BFG KDW2 tires and they have very little wear on them. Also have Dunlop Winter Sport M3 Runflats for the snow days in Ohio. No problems with either tire but I do wish I would have bought a larger size tire than stock for the summer. The KDW2 tires spin much to easily for my agressive driving style!! :cool2:

Avejoe
09-09-05, 11:30 AM
I have a little over 2000 miles on the GS-D3s and can't wait to get a new set of run flats back on. The car is like running on rails with the factory F1s and I can't wait to put them back on. I don't do smoke shows, but, run the car hard. They suck in the rain, but, I try not to run the car in the rain anyway. I got over 12000 miles of pure pleasure out of them before going to the GS-D3s. I want my 400 hp go cart back !!!!! F1 runflats RULE !!! just my 2 cents

benjet
09-09-05, 01:44 PM
I have a little over 2000 miles on the GS-D3s and can't wait to get a new set of run flats back on. The car is like running on rails with the factory F1s and I can't wait to put them back on. I don't do smoke shows, but, run the car hard. They suck in the rain, but, I try not to run the car in the rain anyway. I got over 12000 miles of pure pleasure out of them before going to the GS-D3s. I want my 400 hp go cart back !!!!! F1 runflats RULE !!! just my 2 cents

What PSI are you running your GS-D3 @?

With 10k on my GS-D3 I have more than half my tread left AND I would never ever go back to the OEM EMTs

Harley Guy
09-09-05, 01:53 PM
I swithched from the runflats to the GS-D3's a little over 1,000 miles ago and so far quite happy. Ride quality definitley improved and did not notice any big change in handling. If I get more than 10K out of these, I will be happy.

I run them at 30psi cold, but was thinking of moving up to 32 or 33.

RobzBLKV
09-09-05, 01:59 PM
I thought the consensus was 35 psi cold for the GS-D3s?

AmesCTS-V
09-09-05, 02:01 PM
Was doing 30psi on my GSD3's, now I'm running 34 in front and 32 in back.

benjet
09-09-05, 02:01 PM
I thought the consensus was 35 psi cold for the GS-D3s?

Yep. I ran for a few k @ 28-30 PSI to see if there was any difference. It was HUGE, sloppy handling and increased outer edge wear. Back to 35-36 cold now.

RobzBLKV
09-09-05, 02:33 PM
If I were to buy tires today, I would get the GS-D3's b/c of price/handling/overall package. There is a relatively new BF Goodrich tire (BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 that did fairly well in Tire Racks comparison test. Has anyone tried them? I will try a search, but i don't have much luck with the search engine.

Edit: Tried the search engine. Apparently they haven't been discussed that much (4 hits, only one that was a report of use). They might be an option too.

AmesCTS-V
09-09-05, 02:35 PM
KDW2's are a good tire. A little loud under hard breaking. I would have bought them if they had better sizing choices.

RobzBLKV
09-09-05, 02:39 PM
They come in stock sizes - that's good enough for me on the first replacement go around. I am giving up the sidewall of the EMT, I want to see how that works out in stock size before I change another variable. It's not like it will take long to need another set.

AmesCTS-V
09-09-05, 02:42 PM
They come in stock sizes - that's good enough for me on the first replacement go around. I am giving up the sidewall of the EMT, I want to see how that works out in stock size before I change another variable. It's not like it will take long to need another set.
You want stock in front and 275's in back. It's my best mod so far... I think.

Harley Guy
09-09-05, 03:39 PM
Yep. I ran for a few k @ 28-30 PSI to see if there was any difference. It was HUGE, sloppy handling and increased outer edge wear. Back to 35-36 cold now.

Runnig 35-36 cold where do they go when they are really hot?

Dreamin
09-09-05, 03:41 PM
Their Max psi is 51... shouldn't be any issues with 35-36 cold.

Ben: I run 34 cold.

Dave's V
09-09-05, 03:51 PM
M&S tires are not the best in everything but they don't suck. There is nothing worse then trying to get to work in May on summer tires when a freak snow storm hits.

They are not the best in snow, but I have a 4X4 Trailblazer for those winter trips outside the valley. The V's winter capabilities are limited by its low ride height. Driving in snow with a RWD car is nothing if done correctly on good tires. RSAs are crap though (hint for future 06 buyers).

It all depends on where you live. Obvioiusly someone from Miami wouldn't care about non summer tires unless they take trips up north often. Someone in the north may want to get around in winter time. It is hard to predict the weather in the mountains (the big ones) due to their high altitude.

Florian lives in Cleveland which gets frequent lake effect snow and he has the Avons on his car and says he does fine.

I would rather park my V than put winter tires on it but that is just me. Once I get another car in a few years, it will stay in the garage for the winter except on nice weekend trips.

benjet
09-09-05, 04:00 PM
Runnig 35-36 cold where do they go when they are really hot?

40/41 with just myself and/or a single passenger, with a full load (passengers and cargo in the trunk) 43/44, at that point either I clear the alarms as they come up or dump some air if I'm going long haul and refil them a bit later.

Add that the above is for REALLY HOT, normal is 38-40

Avejoe
09-09-05, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the advice, Ive been running 29 cold . I'm going to 34 :thepan:

FLsilverV
09-10-05, 04:49 PM
My oppinion the BFG KDw2 is outstanding

FrankRizzo
09-10-05, 08:10 PM
What tire sizes can you put on the V and still clear everything? 275's fit in the back? I'm about to buy a set of KDW2s or GS-D3s and am wondering if it's worthing getting anything bigger in back.