: Winter Car

drivered
09-08-05, 12:44 PM
Well, here is my plan. Let me know if anyone has done this. I plan on using our home equity line to buy a car in late October and sell it again in the beginning of March. I will only pay interest on the loan (we have about $30,000 left on our Jeep left to pay and the interest on it is about $167/month), I figure about $100 a month. I am looking for something a few years old with some miles so adding about 4-5k will not really change the value of the vehicle (plus being in the same model year as when I bought it). I will then be able to put the V in storage, cut down insurance not add miles and not spend over 1k on snow tires.
My thoughts on vehicles are a 98-2000 STS with moderate miles. I haven't actually gone out and really looked at them but have seen them for anywhere from 10-16k. Or a 2000-2001 Deville (hopefully DTS). My father used to have a 97 STS and it was a pretty nice car (if you don't mind a little torque steer) and I have driven a DHS from Iowa to Chicago and I did not want to get into my old pickup after that. Both great rides for a winter car. Does anyone have any experience with them and do you think they would be easy to sell in the spring. Both have really taken a big hit already in value so I would think they should level off a bit. Thoughts?

kimcheejeegae
09-08-05, 12:48 PM
Well, here is my plan. Let me know if anyone has done this. I plan on using our home equity line to buy a car in late October and sell it again in the beginning of March. I will only pay interest on the loan (we have about $30,000 left on our Jeep left to pay and the interest on it is about $167/month), I figure about $100 a month. I am looking for something a few years old with some miles so adding about 4-5k will not really change the value of the vehicle (plus being in the same model year as when I bought it). I will then be able to put the V in storage, cut down insurance not add miles and not spend over 1k on snow tires.
My thoughts on vehicles are a 98-2000 STS with moderate miles. I haven't actually gone out and really looked at them but have seen them for anywhere from 10-16k. Or a 2000-2001 Deville (hopefully DTS). My father used to have a 97 STS and it was a pretty nice car (if you don't mind a little torque steer) and I have driven a DHS from Iowa to Chicago and I did not want to get into my old pickup after that. Both great rides for a winter car. Does anyone have any experience with them and do you think they would be easy to sell in the spring. Both have really taken a big hit already in value so I would think they should level off a bit. Thoughts?

So you have a V and a jeep... why would you get an STS if you have a jeep for the winter?

drivered
09-08-05, 01:00 PM
I wish I could drive the Jeep, but then my wife would be doing some sledding down the street in the V.:suspense: Seriously though, she drives the Jeep and the V is my car.

Florian
09-08-05, 01:20 PM
buy an old Jimmy or Blazer 4x4...comfortable and reasonably priced (8-10K)

F

Kadonny
09-08-05, 03:20 PM
Just buy a real beater worth like 4 or 5 k.

I have an 2000 F150 with 80000 miles on it. Cheap.

kjr39
09-08-05, 03:22 PM
Pick up another Jeep. 2000 or 2001 Cherokees are cheap and last forever.

drivered
09-08-05, 03:37 PM
My main goal was to find a car that I can resell with little problems and have little or no problems during the winter. A newer car would probably be better, I have a pretty big commute. It would have to be dependable. I agree on the Jeep, they will last but at $3.00 a gallon 1 Jeep is enough. I was thinking the Cadillacs because they are good cars that have lost a lot of value already so they shouldn't lose much more by the time I want to sell it. Later

RobzBLKV
09-08-05, 03:38 PM
Even the STS and LHS should have snow tires if you live where there is a lot of snow.

Florian
09-08-05, 03:59 PM
I had a 2000 STS and it was lousy in the snow...heavy and front wheel drive didnt go well together. I sold it for a V and a Jimmy for winter.

F

evil 8
09-08-05, 05:17 PM
I am assuming the Jeep you have is a Grand Cherokee by your payoff. That has a V8. A old school cherokee with the inline 6 would be a choice for better mileage and they are easy to sell.

kjr39
09-08-05, 05:21 PM
I drive a 2000 Cherokee with the I-6 in it. 90k miles on it and get about 20-22/gallon on the highway. Average says 16.8 as of this afternoon after 3k miles of data, but all I do is city driving these days...

It's scheduled for a 4.5" lift and 31/10.50s (but that is another forum.)

c4racer
09-08-05, 06:11 PM
I would not count on a caddy to have solid resale value. How about a BMW 325iT wagon?

Scott

erp2863
09-08-05, 06:14 PM
If you are looking for good resale, don't even think American. Try a used Suburu or an Audi with quatro for a good winter car.

c4racer
09-08-05, 06:27 PM
I dunno - Audi's suck on resale too, Suby's are not much better. BMW 3 series is the resale king - you could easily get out for $1K less than you bought it for. I had a 540iT for 11 months and only lost $1K in value - drove it 10K miles...

Scott

Jurisimprudence
09-08-05, 06:40 PM
I think the Jeep idea is a good one (of course I still have my 1997 Wrangler that I had before buying the V). Remember, winter will come again next year too. If you get an older Jeep (whethre it's a Cherokee or Wrangler), you won't have to put any real money in it to buy it and they don't really depreciate much after they hit around $5K (they're always worth at least that due to demand from hunters and other outdoor types). Plus, the 4 wheel drive system will pretty much get you through anything. Heck, if my Jeep had a snorkel I could have helped evacuate New Orleans. Finally, many of these vehicles are almost completely stripped (i.e., no frills whatsover). This means that they don't have much to break down. Of course, it all depends on what you're looking for. If you want practical functional winter transportation, a used Jeep is hard to beat. If you want luxury, great gas mileage, speed or handling, go with something else.

urbanski
09-08-05, 07:13 PM
snowmobile?

Dreamin
09-08-05, 07:27 PM
What's the plan for next winter?

drivered
09-09-05, 09:04 AM
Hey guys, just got back to the board. To answer some of the questions, the Jeep we have is the Limited with the Hemi. I have had a wrangler and a 94 JGC with the I6 (and a 1980 CJ 7), great motors and your right decent mileage. The Hemi milage leaves a little to be desired. I was also thinking of a Wrangler, only with the 6. It is unbelievable to look and see how much they have held their value. Anyone with a hardtop here? Is it warm enough? My plan is to do it all again next year. Yes it is a pain in the ass, but I really don't want an extra car sitting on the driveway all year long. Later guys.

Jurisimprudence
09-09-05, 10:06 AM
I actually have a 97 Wrangler that I bought new. It's lifted, etc. With the 4.0 I6, it moves pretty well. I do not have a hard top, but the heater on the thing will burn you out, so I wouldn't worry about having just a soft top. Also, it's not a bad car to drive outside of winter once in a while. My Jeep was my sole mode of transportation until just recently. Needless to say, the V has been a very big change. My point about the Wrangler is that if you get an older one, it won't depreciate at all. I have a similar problem as you regarding storage. My solution has been to let my father in law drive it. He gets a toy, I get storage, and I really don't care about the miles, since you can buy a 4.7 stroker engine for $2K and the rest of the Jeep will run damn near forever . . .

Harley Guy
09-09-05, 01:10 PM
I faced the exact same issue last fall. I got a 2002 Jeep Leberty at a good price and it has worked out fine. Originally I thought I would sell the Jeep in the spring, but the damn thing is so useful I decided to keep it. Now the V is a garage queen. I don' drive it on rainy days and will store it againg this winter if I don't trade it on a C6. Now that we have 3 cars for 2 people the thought keeps going by that the fun car should be a rag top.:confused: