: '06 Vs?

kjr39
09-07-05, 10:15 AM
So, I am thinking of picking up a V and went down to the local Caddie dealer and found out that they did not have a timeline for when they would be delivered.

I would like an 06 due to the LS2. However, I do have a couple of questions.

1. Are the new bushings being added prior to delivery to fix wheel hop?
2. Was anything done to fix the read diff from blowing/whining in the '06?

Anything other differences betweeen the '06 vs. '05?

After doing a bit of research I am looking at the V vs. M3 vs. C32 and so far have only looked at the V. Dad's 40 years at Chevy are giving a good nudge to the V price wise....

Surprise, surprise, the dealer wouldn't let me take the V out for a spin last night... :bummer: However, I did drive a regular CTS and it 'fit' right. (Although, I would like a telescopic wheel.) Am I correct in assuming that the V would have a similar fit?

I have confirmed that I can speak with the service manager for my next visit and would like to ask him about wheel hop and rear diff. What else should I ask him regarding the V? (According to the sales manager that I spoke with, of the 20 Vs they have sold, none have come back with wheel hop issues. (I find this hard to believe, but hey. He is a salesman...))

Also, according to the dealer, they are going to swap out the runflats for me (after me asking about it) and have a bunch of wheels rather than the stock ones (I want a black wheel.) Good idea?

What else am I missing or need to think about?

This is my one shot at a sports car as the boss has told me, after this, it is kids and a mini van. Help me get it right. :)

rand49er
09-07-05, 10:43 AM
When I had my bushings installed, I drove a CTS for the day and half it took ... nice car, but the V is a whole lot more of a car, so comparison is VERY approximate IMO. He wouldn't let you drive the V? My salesman was eager to let me drive one!?! Tell you what, add a little gray to your temples; that could be the difference ... hm-m-m. As for wheel hop, the salesman should address that re the '06V.

Also IMO, get the V. Besides being a great driving car, it's family-friendly with four doors (like mini van) and works well with a car seat in the back for my nearly 3 yr. old son. If you take it a bit easy, you can easily get 22 mpg overall and 26+ at 70 on the highway ... I do!

kjr39
09-07-05, 11:40 AM
Yeah, I imagine a little gray to my hair would help get me in...

Although, when I was going through the V, I noticed that it had 300 miles on it already... Seemed to me like someone from the dealer borrowed it for a bit...

I do believe that I'll be driving one before I plunk the money down for it.

One other quick question? Is the suspension upgrade worth it?

Thanks!

a64pilot
09-07-05, 12:14 PM
Yeah, I imagine a little gray to my hair would help get me in...

Although, when I was going through the V, I noticed that it had 300 miles on it already... Seemed to me like someone from the dealer borrowed it for a bit...

I do believe that I'll be driving one before I plunk the money down for it.

One other quick question? Is the suspension upgrade worth it?

Thanks!
300 miles on it, that'a a used car in my book. For all you know 10 different test pilots have been drag racing it. Not a way to break it in. Look for a "new" car if I were you.
The FG2 is worth it I believe.

-uplink-
09-07-05, 12:51 PM
How many miles is acceptably considered 'new'? When my friend picked up his BMW 325, it had 7 miles on the Odometer.
-Mike

Luna.
09-07-05, 01:11 PM
After doing a bit of research I am looking at the V vs. M3 vs. C32 and so far have only looked at the V. Dad's 40 years at Chevy are giving a good nudge to the V price wise....

You mean the C55 AMG, yes? I thought the C55 replaced the C32, but perhaps I'm mistaken...

I went through a similar thought process and, at the end of the day, the V is a better bang-for-your-buck car then the alternatives.

Both the C55 and M3 are sweet cars, but the C55 is much more expensive and the M3 doesn't have the same aftermarket, bank-for-your-buck potential of the V, nor does the motor have nearly the torque (it makes it up through gear multiplication). Personally, I prefer V8s over motors that seem like they are sewing machines on steroids... :)

kjr39
09-07-05, 01:24 PM
300 miles on it, that'a a used car in my book.

I have to agree. They were trying to nudge me toward this one, but it is the wrong color and the wrong year... I want one fresh off of the boat....errr, truck.

You mean the C55 AMG, yes? I thought the C55 replaced the C32, but perhaps I'm mistaken...

Yes, you are correct. My bad.

Personally, I prefer V8s over motors that seem like they are sewing machines on steroids...

:lol: I hear ya. The purr alone is worth having a V8.

Jurisimprudence
09-07-05, 08:04 PM
Not to hijack too much, but it's funny you should mention the "purr." The day after I got my "V," my wife came out of the house while the car was running in the driveway and she said, "I've heard people talk about a car purring before but never knew exactly what they meant. This car actually purrs. . . ."

Slapdash
09-08-05, 12:39 PM
Hi Kjr - I hadn't heard of any additional options as far as the suspension goes on the V so please post more info as you run across it.

Out of curiosity, why did your dealer not let you test drive a V?

kjr39
09-08-05, 12:57 PM
I think that it had to do with me being in my typical buying-something clothes. Jeans and a dirty t-shirt.

RE: Suspension

I googled and found this:

12499241 Cadillac CTS-V Shock Upgrade Kit
Upgrade your Cadillac CTS-V suspension with this shock package designed for excellent high speed control. These shocks have revised valving developed on one of Europe's most renowned road courses. This valving was developed with the enthusiast in mind to give exceptional road handling performance, however, a harsher ride will result. The front shocks are a 45 mm mono-tube type absorber, and the rear shocks provide both damping and self leveling by combining a 32 mm mono-tube package inside a self-compensating hydro-pneumatic spring. This technology is known as Nivomat. If you want road handling first and foremost and are willing to trade-off some ride comfort to get it, then this is the shock kit for you.Bolt it on and unleash your CTS-V on your favorite road course.

here:

http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/perfpartsjsp/partlist.jsp?cat=9460&section=pp

Slapdash
09-08-05, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the info! :thumbsup:

Unless you had grease on you, I'm a little surprised that they weren't willing to get you in to one right away. Perhaps the salesperson had one too many white knuckle test drives for the day.

I look forward to hearing about your car buying experience as I'm getting ready to do the same. Take it easy.

-uplink-
09-08-05, 02:12 PM
Kjr, where are you located? King O'rourke was more than happy to offer me a test drive as long as one of their salesmen was in the car. I declined the '05 drive having already 'beaten' one at the Autoshow in Motion. When I asked about testing an '06 when they arrive, Jerry DeMarco (sales) said, 'Of course, its not like buying a pair of socks. You have to know it fits you.'

At the time I was in a T-shirt and shorts and my girlfriend was similarly dressed. Could just be the dealer. 2 years ago I went through 4 BMW dealerships before 1 (Habberstad) would let me test drive an '02 M3. That was just ridiculous because they all used the excuse, 'People that buy these cars just buy them. They already know how it will perform.' ??? :cookoo:
-Mike

kjr39
09-08-05, 03:14 PM
I'm in Charlotte (used to live in Pinckney, MI until last month for all of you Detroiters out there.)

I think I may end up trying another dealer. The dealer that I spoke with basically said "We got a lot of people in here that just want to drive it and are not serious about buying it."

-uplink-
09-08-05, 03:46 PM
Part of the problem is they really don't have to 'sell' this car. Unfortunately it gives them a little too much leverage knowing if you walk out the door, someone else will be right behind you to take it off their hands. :nono:

Definitely check around, there are dealers who will let you test drive the car. If they can't offer you at least that convenience, do you really want to be supporting a business like that by purchasing your car there?

It also helps to have decent product knowledge and chat with them a while before asking for the test drive. This gives them the assurance you are a legitimate shopper, not just someone looking for a casual 'joy ride'. Before they offered the drive, we checked out the '05 on the lot, looked over the trunk space, test-fit the back seats, messed with the navigation, etc. Also, refraining from mentioning cost or sticker shock might help. We didn't bring up the price once so it didn't send up any flags to the salesman that we might not be 'financially viable' for the car and he should move on.
-Mike

kjr39
09-08-05, 04:01 PM
I've damn near got the specs memorized to this car as I have been looking at it for awhile.

I think it had to do with me being young and GMS pricing. I called and asked about that before I went down to visit.

They aren't making squat off of this rig and they only get a couple. Has to be annoying for them.

Also, anyone hear of Vogue Wheels before?

kjr39
09-11-05, 11:35 AM
HOLY SWEET JESUS!

That was my response after getting out of the test drive of the V.

I went to another dealer and pretty muched walked over to the car and said "I want to drive it." The salesman standing next to it said "I'll get the keys" and that was that.

10 miles and two shaking knees from the adrenalin and we were back at the dealership.

I haven't been in a car that equals the power of the V...

Too bad all they had were '05s with high miles (200-300), but they did have one that already had the Cold Air/Corsa kit already installed....

I'm headed to drive an M3 this week. I'll let y'all know what I think... Although, I knew it was bad last night when I was at the hooter bar and thinking about the V...

Dave's V
09-11-05, 11:43 AM
I test drove my V while wearing a pair of jeans, sneakers, Eagles T-shirt and a Michael Schumacher jacket. I'm surprised they didn't let you drive it considering they known your Dad for a long time.

300 miles is too much for a new car. Under 50 is considered new in my book now. You will have problems down the road (IE rear dif whine).

The market is still very small for the V. I don't think dealers will give away the 05s because there is always someone that would be willing to save a few thousand $$ over an 06 and buy an 05.

I wouldn't wait for the 06 just to get an LS2 though. LS7 yes, LS2 no. LS2s are known to be picky when it gets hot anyway.

kjr39
09-11-05, 12:23 PM
The problem is, I haven't found a V that has under 50 on it... Every '05 that I have seen is in the 200-300 mile range. Too many miles getting beat on from the salesmen with no burn in time... That makes me very wary.

My preference for the '06 is because of:
fixed rear diff
LS2 - no gas guzzler tax
getting it off of the truck with hardly any miles
getting to drive off the depreciation over a year instead of taking that hit as soon as I drive an '05 off of the lot.

And the price of an '06 is damn near identical to an '05, isn't it?

I haven't heard about the LS2s getting picky... What is it known to do?

Dave's V
09-11-05, 04:43 PM
I think I read about the LS2 being picky in the GM HT magazine, could have been one of the car mags also.

Prices are around the same but you'll still take an initial big hit. Prices will remain high on the 06 until the model year really kicks off. Till then, dealers will offer their high mileage (for a new car) 05 Vs for low-mid 40s. I would say you won't be able to touch an 06 for less than 50k until the holidays.

However, if you keep the car for at least 3-5 years most people should have some equity.

The "fixed rear dif" is still questionable also. I'm worried once they fix it, the weak link will move to another part (tranny, driveshaft, half-shafts). IMO, if they didn't upgrade the half-shafts that might be the next area of concern. We already had a few V drivers here that had failed half-shafts.

kjr39
09-11-05, 10:44 PM
edit.