: Tired of the bs

FLsilverV
09-06-05, 09:41 PM
I dont know about everyone else on the forum but im tired of the clunking in parade speeds, the wheelhop that makes 0-60 times unmatchable, the rubbery shifts,and the rear diffs blowing on everyones car. Has anyone found any solutions for any of these i have heard nothing can be done about the clunking at parade speed, and the bushings from cadillac are making no difference and the rubbery shifts people with short shifters is there a big differnece? and so far for me i have been lucky enough to have a 15000 mile V without a blown diff but i kno its only a matter of time.

Anyone on the forum own a GTO? if so how are the problems with those are they similar?

thanks
spence

FLsilverV
09-06-05, 10:05 PM
Bump

erp2863
09-06-05, 10:48 PM
Ran into a guy at a gas station with an '04 GTO and he was on his 3rd rear-end. Guess they aren't much better with 350hp either. Was getting ready to unload it.

Dennisscars
09-06-05, 10:55 PM
Has anyone found any solutions

For Sale sign in the left rear window has always done it for me..:rolling:

BowenCT
09-06-05, 10:58 PM
Seriously.........if you're that unhappy, unload it. You sound like my boys who stick with girlfriends who make them miserable.

Dave's V
09-06-05, 11:20 PM
I agree! If the car makes you that unhappy get rid of it now. Other cars have had their shares of problems though. GTOs (paint, rear dif), Hemis (engines).

I've been very happy since my first rear dif was replaced 11,000 miles ago.

bmartin9122
09-06-05, 11:29 PM
Yup... Unless the particular platform has had years to work out the bugs, then you will always find a problem or quirk in every vehicle. What you have to answer for yourself is, "Does the time spent in the shop annoy you so much that it outweighs the driving enjoyment derived from that same vehicle?"

calicadi
09-06-05, 11:47 PM
I dont know about everyone else on the forum but im tired of the clunking in parade speeds, the wheelhop that makes 0-60 times unmatchable, the rubbery shifts,and the rear diffs blowing on everyones car. Has anyone found any solutions for any of these i have heard nothing can be done about the clunking at parade speed, and the bushings from cadillac are making no difference and the rubbery shifts people with short shifters is there a big differnece? and so far for me i have been lucky enough to have a 15000 mile V without a blown diff but i kno its only a matter of time.

Anyone on the forum own a GTO? if so how are the problems with those are they similar?

thanks
spence The B&M Sports Shifter will cure the "Rubbery" feel. I personally don't notice the "Parade clunk" much. Product of the dual mass flywheel perhaps? There are aftermarket performance flywheels that may answer that one. If your diff has lasted 15K why do you suspect it will blow... is it getting noisy?

Seattle CTS-V
09-07-05, 12:21 AM
All cars have quirks and problems...especially if it is a high-performance vehicle. How happy would you have been to spend nearly $60k on an M3 in '01 or '02 and had your engine throwing rods left and right??? Sure, its inconvenient and disheartening, but like any relationship you have to take the good with the bad.

heavymetals
09-07-05, 01:44 AM
If your just stressing about waiting to have problems then get rid of it.
I haven't seen you complaining about your ride though.

You want to change your mind?

Put a maggie on it.:thumbsup:

Jon
09-07-05, 02:09 AM
You're 17 and have a V? Damn, what do you do?

V-Love
09-07-05, 02:34 AM

Rapper is my guess. Sell it and by a Mitsu Evo. So far, that car gave me the best run for my money. I still can't believe that when I glanced in my rearview at 150+, that sucker was right there.

FLsilverV
09-07-05, 06:49 AM
Thanks everyone for your input....im going to keep it for a while im going to add the short shifter to see if that cures the rubbery feel, hopefully my diff will last me for a while. As far as the wheel hop goes i did put bfg kdw2 on there and its been helping and from what i hear all the new sports cars are having the hop, but like everyone said all cars have their problems i guess if this is all the car has its not to bad.

FLsilverV
09-07-05, 06:53 AM

Im actually still a student in high school. Im in my senior year. The reason i got the V is the deal was almost to good to pass up 2004 platinum V 5,400 miles and they wanted 36,500 for it. So far ive been pretty happy, especially compared to my old car which was a Jaguar S-Type http://www.cardomain.com/ride/420931 pics can be found there it was basically a show car and seemed every other week it was in the shop for somthing so i guess the problems the V has really isnt to bad compared to that.

Thanks
Spence

Kadonny
09-07-05, 07:52 AM
Damn, wish I could have afforded a Jag or Caddy when I was 17. I was driving a stinking Chevy Monza piece of crap.

terrible one
09-07-05, 08:11 AM
I need another job.

I'm pretty much spending my life savings and everything I made in the last 2 years working on my Eldorado "sleeper" project.

Katshot
09-07-05, 08:38 AM
Thanks everyone for your input....im going to keep it for a while im going to add the short shifter to see if that cures the rubbery feel, hopefully my diff will last me for a while. As far as the wheel hop goes i did put bfg kdw2 on there and its been helping and from what i hear all the new sports cars are having the hop, but like everyone said all cars have their problems i guess if this is all the car has its not to bad.

GM High-Tech Performance just did an article on the GTO and in it, they spent time at the drag strip perfecting a launch technique for the IRS car (yes, the GTO experiences the dreaded wheel-hop too). With a little practice it seems like a solid hop-free launch is quite possible on these cars. You just need to re-train your brain a little.

rgd
09-07-05, 09:07 AM
FLsilverV]I dont know about everyone else on the forum but im tired of the clunking in parade speeds, the wheelhop that makes 0-60 times unmatchable, the rubbery shifts,and the rear diffs blowing on everyones car. Has anyone found any solutions for any of these i have heard nothing can be done about the clunking at parade speed, and the bushings from cadillac are making no difference and the rubbery shifts people with short shifters is there a big differnece? and so far for me i have been lucky enough to have a 15000 mile V without a blown diff but i kno its only a matter of time.

thanks

spence[/QUOTE]

Hi Spence,

I can only speak for myself, but I have had some issues but found a way to fix them all relatively easy.

First and foremost I found the clunk most annoying, :bomb: embarrassing at times :o to say the least. I went to my dealer and I was told it was normal, :crybaby: same as everyone. I also couldnít stand the wheel-hop. So I decided to install the Kars cradle thinking it would help the clunk noise as well as the wheel hop. Knowing I might void the warranty if I installed the cradle I took my car back to the dealer again on the clunk issue to log the problem etc. This time I talked to the right guy (not lazy), he put my car on the lift and found that the nut used to tighten the differential in place (normal torque 120lb) was backed off Ĺ inch. In other words torque was ZERO lb not 120lb. When we tightened the nut to 120lb the clunk almost completely disappeared.:yup:

:thumbsup: Kars cradle stage 3 (awesome removal of the hop issue) as well as increased performance handling corners etc.

:thumbsup: UUC shifter, insta fix. Nice clean crisp shifting. In fact the first few days I would sometimes second guess if I was in gear because it shortened the throw and was so much tighter.

As far as the differential, I think that all depends on how you drive. If you want to drag race all the time dumping the clutch take your chances. Me personally I prefer to drive the car as it was designed to be driven, road racing! I do occasionally hop on it from dead start, I think the Kars cradle, because it supports the diff, helps a lot. Also there will be a upgraded differential (warranty repair) available later this year on any busted diff brought to your dealer. Be sure you donít have any mods like Kars cradle, if you bust your diff. That's a :tisk: .

Sorry for the long winded blablabla but you asked.:D

Thanks,

Bob

Hi Spence,

I can only speek for myself, but I have had some issues but found a way to fix them all relativly easy.

First and foremost I found the clunk most anoying

drmustang
09-07-05, 09:25 AM
GM High-Tech Performance just did an article on the GTO and in it, they spent time at the drag strip perfecting a launch technique for the IRS car (yes, the GTO experiences the dreaded wheel-hop too). With a little practice it seems like a solid hop-free launch is quite possible on these cars. You just need to re-train your brain a little.What did the article say. What rpm did they use etc.?

Jon
09-07-05, 11:49 AM
Im actually still a student in high school. Im in my senior year. The reason i got the V is the deal was almost to good to pass up 2004 platinum V 5,400 miles and they wanted 36,500 for it. So far ive been pretty happy, especially compared to my old car which was a Jaguar S-Type http://www.cardomain.com/ride/420931 pics can be found there it was basically a show car and seemed every other week it was in the shop for somthing so i guess the problems the V has really isnt to bad compared to that.

Thanks
Spence
Damn, and I thought I was badass drivin a CTS in high skool lol.

erp2863
09-07-05, 12:16 PM
Damn, wish I could have afforded a Jag or Caddy when I was 17. I was driving a stinking Chevy Monza piece of crap.

Everyone wishes they could be a trust-fund baby.

bdrussell
09-07-05, 01:15 PM
I have to agree with Bob. I was in Reno for Hot August Nights with a 2005 CTS-V with all of 2k miles on it and was hearing a bad clunk in the rear end.

Took it in to a Chevy dealer and on the rack found the bolt on the top front of the diff carrier was completely backed off. Tightened it down and the clunk went away.

If you are having the clunk have a friend manually rock the car back and forth and check underneath for up and down movement of the drive line. We could see the driveshaft and front pinon moving up and down.

Rusty

MSMITH
09-07-05, 01:28 PM
For Sale sign in the left rear window has always done it for me..:rolling:

That about sums it up. If you're that unhappy with the car just dump it. I myself have a decision to make coming up as I'm #3 on the list for a Z06 (not really a decision I guess, I love the V and have yet to have any problems out of it, but I'm fairly sure what the outcome of this one will be.)

Mike

Katshot
09-07-05, 02:29 PM
What did the article say. What rpm did they use etc.?

I'll take a look at the article again and get back to you tomorrow at the latest.

AmesCTS-V
09-07-05, 03:28 PM
I have a GTO also. It had wheel hop, but it's a much easier and better fix on the GTO. There isn't a big rear diff problem at all, I don't know where that is coming from.

The big GTO issues are thin paint, mine seems fine. The other big "issue" is strut rubbing with factory 245's, I haven't seen this either.

c4racer
09-07-05, 11:31 PM
heh - I drove a 63 Impala in HS and college....

I was so proud when I bought my first new car, which was really special to me - 1989 Camaro IROC-Z, when I graduated from college. I kept that car for 10 years. I think I paid all of $17K for it too, and I was working as a marketing engineer....

Scott

Katshot
09-09-05, 07:57 AM
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you guys on this article. I have it scanned into a PDF file but I can't attach it here (too big). I'm going to email it to Sal so he can put it somewhere for you all but until then, if you email me at: Katshot@netzero.com I'll send you a copy. It seems to be a good article and may render some helpful tips on racing your CTS-V's.