: Coolant supplement tabs not added at coolant change. Now what???

daddydg
09-06-05, 05:48 PM
I've searched the forum and can't find an answer to this question. I had my the coolant flushed and replaced with the proper 50/50 Dex-Cool ratio in my 1998 Deville. However, I'm not sure that the Kwik Kar shop added the supplement tabs.

Can I add the supplement after the fact? If so, where and how?

STS 310
09-06-05, 06:25 PM
I've searched the forum and can't find an answer to this question. I had my the coolant flushed and replaced with the proper 50/50 Dex-Cool ratio in my 1998 Deville. However, I'm not sure that the Kwik Kar shop added the supplement tabs.

Can I add the supplement after the fact? If so, where and how?

Sure you can. Crush them up and add to the upper or lower hose NOT THE SURGE TANK.

No worries.

Ranger
09-06-05, 10:17 PM
You really don't even need to crush them. Just stuff them in the upper hose and top off what coolant you loose (minimal) after the next heat/cool down cycle.

Ranger
09-06-05, 10:54 PM
Remove the upper radiator hose. You'll loose minimal amount of coolant there. Pop in the tabs or the power and button it up. Top off coolant as neccassary.

98 Caddy
09-06-05, 11:56 PM
Local Cadillac dealer in town never puts them in. In fact I went in there to buy some pellets and they told me that it clogs up their flush machiene and they dont stock it and can't and won't order the supplement for me. This is a pretty large city and they do a lot of Cadillac service. Makes me want to call Cadillac and tell them their dealers are not following recommended proceedures.

davesdeville
09-07-05, 02:47 AM
Then CALL and report that. I don't think that Cadillac would be happy that dealers are doing something that will overall lower the perception of quality for the brand.

blunted
09-07-05, 09:56 AM
Man.. these ass backward dealers are going to be the death of GM. First off what is necessary, is the coolant supplement.. it clearly states it in the engine compartment. What isn't it needed however, is their flush machine. From what i've learned here from good sources, is to never flush your cooling system.. it contaminates it with minerals and other stuff.

mcowden
09-07-05, 11:27 AM
Man.. these ass backward dealers are going to be the death of GM. First off what is necessary, is the coolant supplement.. it clearly states it in the engine compartment. What isn't it needed however, is their flush machine. From what i've learned here from good sources, is to never flush your cooling system.. it contaminates it with minerals and other stuff.

I don't know about the flush machine. If it uses fresh water and coolant, it might be fine. If there's any chance it might put someone else's fluid in there, even temporarily, I would say it's a very bad idea. Who knows what the last guy had in there?

Again with the dealerships f&*@ing up a highly engineered system. Since when does a mechanic know better what's best for the system than the engineers who designed it? Sounds like people need to be warned to stay away from the service department idiots at that dealership.

BodybyFisher
09-07-05, 11:37 AM
Do they diffentiate between GREEN and DEXCOOL when they flush? If they don't have a separate machine for GREEN and DEXCOOL your cooling system has the chance of being contaminated with GREEN.... not good... EVEN if they have separate machines for each, the last car flushed could have had GREEN and DEXCOOL in it..... Stay away from flushing altogether

Ranger
09-07-05, 12:01 PM
My guess is they flush with fresh water. It's cheap and is a common denominator with both coolants, but you can bet they are not using distilled water.

98 Caddy
09-07-05, 12:30 PM
I don't know how they flush. I was in parts trying to purchase the pellets and got denied and that was their explanation. I think those techs could learn a lot by hanging out on this forum. My parents have bought their last 5 Cadillacs brand new from this dealership and like I said they are pretty high volume in the service dept.

Ranger
09-07-05, 12:47 PM
I was in parts trying to purchase the pellets and got denied and that was their explanation.
Any GM dealer should have them, not to mention Walmart, Napa, Autozone, etc.

mcowden
09-07-05, 12:51 PM
I don't know how they flush. I was in parts trying to purchase the pellets and got denied and that was their explanation. I think those techs could learn a lot by hanging out on this forum. My parents have bought their last 5 Cadillacs brand new from this dealership and like I said they are pretty high volume in the service dept.

High volume certainly does not equate with high quality, and I don't think I would trust those people. They are not interested in quality maintenance and repairs on your Cadillac. They are concerned only with high volume and high profits, and that does not mesh well with quality.

You can get the pellets at a lot of places. Walmart has them sometimes, and pretty much any auto parts store. You can get the Bar's Leaks Golden Seal powder (2 tubes of it) or the Bar's Leaks giant pellets (6 of them), which are the same thing you'd get from the dealership. Avoid all the other products, including the black liquid stuff, the aluminum and copper stuff, the liquid stuff, all of it. Only the two Bar's products mentioned should be used.

caddydaddy
09-07-05, 01:33 PM
What a lame excuse! "It clogs our flush machine" LOL! I can't believe they won't even order them for you! What @$$holes!