: Mysterious clunk in front right

Seattle CTS-V
09-06-05, 12:48 PM
Last week I developed an audible 'clunk' sound coming from the front passenger side of the vehicle. Soundone suggested retorquing the lugs but that didn't work. It is really only noticable when going over small bumps at low speeds (parking lot speeds). The clunk also can be felt through the steering wheel.

I took the car into the dealership on Friday and had a mechanic test drive it with me so he could understand better which clunk I was noticing. Obviously, I didn't want him to just think I was complaining about the driveline clunk in the 1>2 and 2>3 shifts. He said he could hear and feel the mysterious clunk.

Anyway, I was expecting him to retorque everything underneath the car and I'd get the car back for the weekend. Wrong. About 8 hours after I dropped her off I got a call from a lady in the Service dept. She literally told me that the car was 'in pieces' right now and that the mechanic wanted to keep it for the weekend. He had not figured out what was wrong yet but would be in on Saturday and would look at it again. I got a little pissy with her about having my brand new car 'in pieces' and told her to call me on Sat when things are figured out.

Saturday a different guy calls and says the mechanic had spent alot of hours on it but still didn't have an answer. Since Monday was a holiday the earliest they could resume the search for the clunk was today.

So, does anyone have any insight into what it could be? I seriously just thought the sway had come loose and needed retorquing but apparently that was not the case. I hate not having my car (driving a rental Trailblazer right now) and I really hate the thought of my car being 'in pieces'. Who knows it they'll mess something else up putting her back together. Sorry for the rant but I'm getting a little upset about the whole thing.

kimcheejeegae
09-06-05, 12:54 PM
Last week I developed an audible 'clunk' sound coming from the front passenger side of the vehicle. Soundone suggested retorquing the lugs but that didn't work. It is really only noticable when going over small bumps at low speeds (parking lot speeds). The clunk also can be felt through the steering wheel.

I took the car into the dealership on Friday and had a mechanic test drive it with me so he could understand better which clunk I was noticing. Obviously, I didn't want him to just think I was complaining about the driveline clunk in the 1>2 and 2>3 shifts. He said he could hear and feel the mysterious clunk.

Anyway, I was expecting him to retorque everything underneath the car and I'd get the car back for the weekend. Wrong. About 8 hours after I dropped her off I got a call from a lady in the Service dept. She literally told me that the car was 'in pieces' right now and that the mechanic wanted to keep it for the weekend. He had not figured out what was wrong yet but would be in on Saturday and would look at it again. I got a little pissy with her about having my brand new car 'in pieces' and told her to call me on Sat when things are figured out.

Saturday a different guy calls and says the mechanic had spent alot of hours on it but still didn't have an answer. Since Monday was a holiday the earliest they could resume the search for the clunk was today.

So, does anyone have any insight into what it could be? I seriously just thought the sway had come loose and needed retorquing but apparently that was not the case. I hate not having my car (driving a rental Trailblazer right now) and I really hate the thought of my car being 'in pieces'. Who knows it they'll mess something else up putting her back together. Sorry for the rant but I'm getting a little upset about the whole thing.

Maybe a bad control arm? busted motor mount? I had a pretty bad clunk not too long ago... took it into Bellevue Cadillac and they found my motor mount had busted. Is that where your car is?

ctsvett
09-06-05, 01:08 PM
I would say motor mount or the lower control arm.. Did you ever have your recall done for the lower control arm?

Reed

Seattle CTS-V
09-06-05, 04:05 PM
It's at Brotherton Cadillac. I have not had the control arm recall done.

Seattle CTS-V
09-06-05, 04:10 PM
I just called them and they said the right front strut was bad... I can't imagine that happens often.

Seattle CTS-V
09-07-05, 07:37 PM
They still haven't gotten the part yet...that's six frickin' days so far w/o my V for some little clunk!!!! I'm still not even convinced it's the shock that was causing it. They've lost a customer if they've misdiagnosed it.

kimcheejeegae
09-08-05, 11:39 AM
They still haven't gotten the part yet...that's six frickin' days so far w/o my V for some little clunk!!!! I'm still not even convinced it's the shock that was causing it. They've lost a customer if they've misdiagnosed it.

I would take it to Bellevue Cadillac... their V techs know their stuff!

Seattle CTS-V
09-08-05, 05:05 PM
Well, spoke to them today and they replaced the shock. The clunk is still there they say... I have no idea when I will get my car back.

They said they'll now check the shift linkages, steering column, etc. I think they're heading in the wrong direction but what the hell do I know. It just sux that they'll be taking my car apart to find out what's wrong and then putting it back together (hopefully correctly).

I'm currently resisting going to Bellevue Caddy since they toyed with me so much on the purchase price there. Brotherton treated me very well from the introduction to the sale closing so I felt service there would be top notch as well. I'm not sure how experienced my tech is with V's but apparently a 'clunk' is throwing him a curve.

Seattle CTS-V
09-10-05, 03:59 AM
Got the car back today. The tech said it was some cross member brace thing that helped to hold up the tranny. He said one of the bolts had come loose and that was causing the clunk sound. So far I think he's right....no clunk.

However, on my way home I noticed that the sunroof no longer opens. WTF!! I'll check the fuses tomorrow. I really don't want to take the car back in already. Besides, I hardwired the radar detector into the sunroof last month and I think they'll blame the sunroof malfunction on that anyway. Worked fine until I took the car in.

urbanski
09-10-05, 08:25 AM
search for sunroof....i've heard this happen several times when people got back from a dealer. maybe they disconnected the battery and you have to retrain it or something