: Lowered the V the WildWhl way this weekend

DansCTSV
09-05-05, 11:32 PM
I lowered the V this weekend. I think it came out great! :thumbsup:

I bought a set of FE4's from Bill (WildWhl) a couple weeks ago modified for lowering. The fronts had the grooves machined in them and the rears had the spacers made up and installed. I plan to post a write up with instructions and pictures later.

All in all it wasn't that hard to do, just a little time consuming. I got the front's done in about 4 hours. That's taking my time and taking lots of pictures along the way. The rears went a little quicker. Most of the time was spent taking apart the trunk and back seat. Otherwise it isn't much harder than installing the Specter Bushings.

So the end results is the front went from a stock height of 27 3/4 to 26 1/2 and the rear went from 28 1/4 to 27.

I posted some before and after pictures on my web site. Go to http://home.comcast.net/~dansctsv/ and click on the link for the lowered pictures.

Here is one picture:
http://home.comcast.net/~dansctsv/WebPagePics/LoweredPics/SideLow2.JPG

Slywun
09-05-05, 11:51 PM
Very nice, love the color! How does it handle? Is there a significant difference?

AmesCTS-V
09-05-05, 11:55 PM
Looks good. I'm really trying to not do this mod, but I'm sure I will end up doing it at some point.

Florian
09-05-05, 11:59 PM
I love this mod, will be doing it this winter (listening WW?) anyways, nice job!

F

1MEANV
09-06-05, 12:18 AM
how do i get a set of these modified shocks

04CTSVFLA
09-06-05, 12:30 AM
is that with stock springs? I dont get it? You can lower the V by just getting these slightly modded stock shocks?

wildwhl
09-06-05, 01:58 AM
dan -

this is interesting. You netted more lowering in the rear than I did by about .25". How much of a coil did you cut? And the front's - which groove did you use - top or bottom?

I haven't had a single problem with mine except once I heard the front tire rub on a very fast near full lock left hander over a very, very rough transition (that one time was this morning when I was seriously screwing around).

If you wanted to, you could use this method to lower the V any amount up to 1.25". I have another set I'm going to try and net .75" front and .6" rear for another V owner on this board. I also have an idea for a front shim to allow you to adjust in .125" increments without machining a boat load of grooves in the shock :D

urbanski
09-06-05, 09:00 AM
the original thread was here
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44315&highlight=nivomat
there was a spring rate discussion there.

urbanski
09-06-05, 11:55 AM
i split out the trash....i don't want to punish Dan who took the effort to make a great thread.
We can make a new thread to debate lowering.
Thanks Dan! Great pics.

V-seriesTech
09-06-05, 12:04 PM
i split out the trash....i don't want to punish Dan who took the effort to make a great thread.
We can make a new thread to debate lowering.
Thanks Dan! Great pics.

You need to remove the post "lowered the V the wild way"...as I did NOT start that post as you have noted otherwise. You can leave whatever I wrote, I stand by that.
Posting for me isn't cool.

urbanski
09-06-05, 12:09 PM
ok

V-seriesTech
09-06-05, 12:24 PM
ok

Thank you.

wildwhl
09-06-05, 12:45 PM
Dan -

are you happy with the net lowering amount? Too much? Too little?

Thanks for the feedback.

WW

04CTSVFLA
09-06-05, 02:07 PM
I still dont understand.....If I purchase these modded shocks. I can leave my stock springs in and the car will lower 1.25"??? I thought springs are what lowered or raised a car - not shocks.

Dreamin
09-06-05, 02:18 PM
'FLA... search on 'nivomat mod' and read WILDWHLs posts.

DansCTSV
09-06-05, 07:24 PM
To answer the questions above. I cut 3/4 of a coil off the rear springs. It does make them a bit stiffer but it is not noticable. I think the car handles a bit better. I was out with my wife and son and coming around an off ramp I hit 1.03 g's and neither of them flinched. I didn't feel like I was going all that fast. That is also the highest I have hit so far. So I would have to say it handles better.

As for the height, I used the lowest grooves on the front. That is what accomplished the 1 1/4 inch drop. I really like the results. It's a subtle mod that most people don't notice but I think it makes it look much better. Closes up the gaps nicely. Just have to be careful of curbs when parking. I usually back in anyway to avoid that problem.

As for Jaime's concerns about cutting the coils. I understand where he is coming from. But removing 3/4 of a coil really didn't change the ride all that much and it looks sweet. :D

wildwhl
09-07-05, 02:33 AM
Not to mention...this mod is nearly 100% stealth to your average dealer :thumbsup:

jspridge
09-07-05, 10:32 AM
Wildwhl - my stock height is 27 1/4 (front) and 28 in the rear. Will this mod work for me?

Drift-caddy
09-07-05, 10:59 AM
Why did i get hacked on this one?

urbanski
09-07-05, 11:03 AM
hacked?
i removed some posts discussing the various methods of lowering. that is best kept in a dedicated thread.

racers
10-09-05, 05:27 PM
How do we get a set of these shocks?

thanks

HDMLNIUM
10-09-05, 06:08 PM
How do we get a set of these shocks?

thanks

PM Wildwhl, he did a great job on mine and I am very happy with the way they turned out..:yup: :thumbsup:

And Dan, I guess I missed this thread, but congratulations on going the WildWhl way, welcome to the club...:thumbsup:
Bill