: Eibach

1MEANV
09-05-05, 11:51 PM
DOES ANYBODY KNOW THE GMPART NUMBERS FOR THE CTS SPORT SHOCKS THAT ARE USED WHEN INSTALLING THE EIBACH SPRINGS IN THE V. INFO WOULD BE GREAT:thumbsup:

99m3
09-06-05, 12:03 AM
I don't have the answer for you but my Eibachs are also on the way. Have you heard of anyone just going to a new aftermarket set of shocks vs the stock CTS shocks?

1MEANV
09-06-05, 12:05 AM
I Heard Of The Qa1's. They Are 12 Way Adjustable And Are Twelve Hundred Bucks.

odysseus
09-06-05, 12:10 AM
Don't Do It!!!!!! Do a search on 'nivomat mod' and look for WildWhl's SIMPLE spacers to keep your nivomat shocks in the rear. You'll regret downgrading to the CTS sport shocks with the Eibach springs in the rear. They're way too soft for the stock CTS-V springs, or the even stiffer Eibachs.

Eibach recommends the CTS sport shocks because they didn't know about the nivomat mod. I spoke to Mark in Eibach tech support to verify spring rates last week. When I told him we found a way to lower the stock nivomats he said "Really? How?" He was blown away in its simplicity. Eibach should manufacture a simple spacer/shock bushing and include it in their spring kit.

IVEverWicked
09-06-05, 07:15 PM
I believe if you cut the stock upper mounts and re fab higher mounts it will trick the shocks into thinking it is higher and your car will stay in the lowered position. Trying it on my V soon, the Rear end sits up about 1.5 inches

Parker
09-07-05, 12:35 PM
Hey dallas, I have a wldwhl mod for sale since I didnt use mine. AND TAKE THE CAPS LOCK OFF!!!http://cadillacforums.com/forums/images/smilies/evilsmile.gif

kimcheejeegae
09-07-05, 02:55 PM
Or drop money into the Penske coilover system through Mallett Cars, Ltd.

odysseus
09-07-05, 10:24 PM
I believe if you cut the stock upper mounts and re fab higher mounts it will trick the shocks into thinking it is higher and your car will stay in the lowered position. Trying it on my V soon, the Rear end sits up about 1.5 inches

Actually, you don't need to cut anything. Simply undo the nut at the top holding it all together, remove the mount and rubber spacer, replace the mount, and put WildWhls new spacers on top. Retighten the nut and you're done. This lowers the mount (raising the top of the shock) about 1" so you can keep the self leveling, but at a lower ride height. Simple but ingenius.

rgd
09-08-05, 03:58 PM
Actually, you don't need to cut anything. Simply undo the nut at the top holding it all together, remove the mount and rubber spacer, replace the mount, and put WildWhls new spacers on top. Retighten the nut and you're done. This lowers the mount (raising the top of the shock) about 1" so you can keep the self leveling, but at a lower ride height. Simple but ingenius.

Ok, that takes care of the rear of the car, but how about the front. I have EIBACHS collecting dust in my garage with a set of QA1's on order. Unfortunately, QA1 was to deliver two weeks ago now its two weeks from, who knows???:banghead:

Do I need to do anything other than replace the spring on the front to lower my V. QA1 says a shim was needed with their shock or the drop was 1.85, too low. I want to get about 1.25 to 1.5 drop.
Thanks, Bob

urbanski
09-08-05, 04:07 PM
....Thanks, Bob
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44315&highlight=nivomat

odysseus
09-08-05, 05:20 PM
Do I need to do anything other than replace the spring on the front to lower my V. QA1 says a shim was needed with their shock or the drop was 1.85, too low. I want to get about 1.25 to 1.5 drop.

I'm not sure why you're going to the QA1's since the FG2's are more than adequate. Also, Wildwhl has a method to turn a new ring groove (on a lathe) in the stock strut tube to lower the spring mount using the stock springs. This would be unneccesary with Eibachs, and one may even turn a groove a half inch higher to keep the drop closer to 1".

With just the Eibach springs on FE4 or FG2 shocks, you'll get 1.6" drop. The Eibachs for the V are variable rate 60N/mm to 80N/mm (~343lbs/in to ~457lbs/in) so they're stiffer than the stock V 400lb springs. The regular CTS Eibach front springs are 1.2" drop and 68N/mm (~389lbs/in) linear rate - slightly less than the stock V springs.

Incidentally, the CTS and CTS-V Eibach rear springs are identical and progressive 46N/mm to 69N/mm (~263lbs/in to 395lbs/in). Mark at Eibach technical support explained the 'progressive' nature of the springs. He said that at the static ride height, they have the stiffer rate on compression. Over bumps, when they're extended, they have the lower rate, until they reach the static ride height.

Basically, if you want a 1.2" drop, but close to stock stiffness, you could install the Eibach CTS springs, rather than the V Eibach kit with it's lower and stiffer front springs.

The other option is to fabricate 1/2" shims for the lower spring mount. I've got several sets of ~0.2" shims that WildWhl loaned me to try out on my CTS. I'm putting the Eibachs and FE4s (thanks Urb!) on very soon, and only want about 1" of drop on the front, and 1.2" on the rear, as I currently sit about an inch higher in the rear. As soon as I install them and report back to WildWhl, I'm sure he'll release the designs for others to use.

Having the nivomat spacers and some front shims as a kit to install Eibach springs on the V would be great.