: any downside to installing bushings?

waswas
09-05-05, 08:55 PM
I have not been overly bothered by the wheel hopping.
Should I have the new bushings installed per the recent TSB anyway?
Two potential problems I see:
1. When you read the TSB it sounds as if you will be admitting to driver abuse of the rear end if you say you want the repair....It says this is for "customers who value very aggressive driving capabilities." Don't want them to turn around and us that against me later.
2.There is the usual "do I trust my dalrs technicians with this repair" question. A lot of posts here about them screwing up the installation...not torquing enough, etc.

Thanks,
Bill

urbanski
09-05-05, 09:11 PM
true, it's sad that alot of us recheck the dealer's work when we get home. and its not inconceivable a horribly crummy dealer could mark you as "aggressive" for having the bushings put in....but that seems unlikely.

Finding a dealer you can trust is important...maybe check the FAQ for Ohio dealer rankings
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/dealerrank/index.html
and get out your torque wrench! :)

1MEANV
09-05-05, 09:15 PM
i just installed the bmr kit. works great. the less gm parts on my v the better

DILLIGAF
09-05-05, 09:41 PM
I had the bushings installed last week.No problems as of yet,it has helped the hop 80%.And yes I checked the install.

2004ctsv
09-05-05, 09:45 PM
Is there a downside? - Yes

The runflats weren't wearing out fast enough so I got the bushings and burned a few patches to see if the bushings helped. They helped the hop but are proving to be hell on the rear tires.

The service manager at my local dealer is a gear head of my generation who keeps a 67 Chevelle 396SS(?) in his garage. He understands.

I have the BMR but haven't installed it yet. I might just put the cross bar on but I don't know what that will accomplish. I'll have to do it just to see.

Tony

rand49er
09-05-05, 10:00 PM
I had 'em installed a week and a half ago. Though I don't experience wheel hop because I drive like an old man (hell, I AM AN OLD MAN!), I did it for re-sale reasons. I had to change dealers to one that wouldn't question my driving, but all is well now.

SilverBullet
09-05-05, 10:05 PM
I experienced a SLIGHT increase in gear noise from the rear. I would say that hop is 60-70% better. I would do it again.

Luna.
09-05-05, 10:05 PM
At the end of the day, regardless of whether it works as good as some aftermarket parts (probably doesn't, but it's free), wheel hop can't be a good thing.

I got it installed and I haven't smoked the tires once yet...yes, even with the maggie.

In my mind, anything that can help extend the life of the rear-end is a good thing.

GAGS-V
09-05-05, 11:28 PM
Get it done, if it helps keep any hop (even one time) from happening it will be worth it. I think the ride is better after being done this past week.

Dave's V
09-05-05, 11:46 PM
Cadillac would have a tough time proving "abuse" on my car since the run craps have lasted 12,500 miles with some tread left. I just want to launch the car to its 100% ability if I decided I wanted to without worrying about the rear dif doing the dance. Maybe Cadillac should go back to building big old land boats if they don't want a performance car owner to use full power. Then they can enjoy the lack of sales.

CTSV05
09-06-05, 12:24 AM
Yeah Dave!!!

1Mean, please be aware, if your diff breaks, and ANY aftermarket kit is on your car, you are in jeopardy of a warranty violation if you have a dick of a service manger.

How do I know, I'm fighting for my ass right now, (rear diff that is)!!!

Oh, and don't bother with "customer service" that is useless.

Gordy Petrovski
09-06-05, 04:41 PM
The only bad side is that it is'nt a 100% fix.

urbanski
09-06-05, 05:00 PM
sure, but nothing so far is

Koooop
09-06-05, 06:11 PM
I have no complaints about the bushings, it improved the hop to an acceptable level in my book.

Dave's V
09-06-05, 07:24 PM
Yeah Dave!!!

1Mean, please be aware, if your diff breaks, and ANY aftermarket kit is on your car, you are in jeopardy of a warranty violation if you have a dick of a service manger.

How do I know, I'm fighting for my ass right now, (rear diff that is)!!!

Oh, and don't bother with "customer service" that is useless.

CTSV05,
Due to Cadillac's anal DSMs, that is the main reason why my car is stock with the exception of ICAGS by StealthV. I feel bad for all of the people that produce excellent products to fix something that Cadillac's high paid engineers could not fix in two years, only to get screwed by Cadillac(maybe because it hurts their business).

Keep your head up man, I'm praying it'll all eventually work out. Aftermarket companies need to start to unite and fight overally agressive DSMs for all makes.

Dave

CTSV04
09-06-05, 09:36 PM
I had the bushings installed today. There is a noticable difference in ride quality. The difference is in the stiffness. I also think it may affect handeling as well. I personally believe it's worth the difference if it reduces hop (have not tested). I'll provide an update soon on my impression regarding wheel hop reduction.

wildwhl
09-07-05, 01:40 AM
Is there a downside?

Yes, at least for me, the wheel hop is much greater than when the BMR was in place :nono:

ctsvett
09-07-05, 01:46 AM
This is more for everyone elses benifit (I am sure you know this wild), but it was suggested to me by someone, that using the GM fix in addition to the BMR or KARS bar will help wheel hop (epsecially in 1st gear).

Reed