Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2010 Escalade Fan on too much

9K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Sneakyx1688 
#1 ·
I've notice that my 2010 Escalade fan comes on way too early! The car can be cold and the fan will come on full blast. It's very loud and makes me wonder why it comes on so early. My previous 2010 didn't do this until the temp gauge got higher. My current one will sometimes come on when the temp gauge isn't close to getting to normal operating temp. Dealer wasn't much help when I asked them about it and warranty is gone so I'm definitely not taking it in there. Any ideas?

#2 ·
Which fan, left or right?

The right fan (passenger side) comes on whenever the A/C is turned on and the freon pressure comes up to normal operating range. This is to draw air through the condensor coils when the truck is not moving so the A/C can exchange heat between the pressurized, hot freon and ambient air before it goes into the condensor.

If the LEFT fan (driver's side) is coming on that early, that's a problem in one of the temp sensors, probably just needs a new sensor. Not a big deal. Low fan speed, low temp sensor, high fan speed, high temp sensor.

#4 ·
Thanks funhuman, should have been more specific.

The right fan operates by itself for A/C only. It can be running when the left one is not.

The left fan is the "command" fan and the right fan is a "slave" to it, so both fans come on at the same time (wired in series) when the engine reaches temp, vs just the A/C. The left fan should never run by itself, they both run if the left one comes on. At least, that's what the GM service manual says about the way they're wired...

#7 ·
The coolant temp sensing unit IS the fan input. Depending on year, engine, model, etc., the fan(s) will go to SLOW at some temp in/near the 220s and to FAST in/near the 230s - it's all electronic magic controlled by the PCM. As posted, one or more fans runs in SLOW any time some A/C or DEFROST function is set to insure airflow through the HVAC condenser in front of the radiator.

Specifics for YOUR car in its GM/Cadillac service manuals - online at www.alldatadiy.com

#8 ·
I have a similar issue but im getting a code p0481 for coolang fan relay 2. Both fans seem to work tho. If i reset the code, it comes back right away. But if i have the ac running, the code wont come back until i turn off the ac. Any ideas? Temp sensor seems to be reporting correctly on instrument cluster. Plz help. 2009 escalade hybrid 6.0L

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.