: transmission oil loss

starfox86
09-05-05, 02:50 AM
for some reason the transmission fluid loses about a quart per 50 miles or so on my 94 seville sls. i dont understand why. there is no sign of leaks now after replacing the bottom pan gasket and the radiator. there Was trans fluid leaking out of the bottom gasket b4 though. so i still just dont understand where this fluid is going. i have put about 11 quarts in since i replaced the gasket 2 days ago. the only thing i can think of is that the fluid is burning up somewhere so maybe i have a clogged line to the radiator..is this possible?...and are there any othr possibilities i am missing?..

dkozloski
09-05-05, 03:05 AM
Some automatic transmissions have a shift modulator that operates from engine vacuum. If this modulator fails, transmssion oil is sucked into the engine intake, is burned, and seems to vanish into thin air. Try to find a vacuum hose that connects to the transmission and see if it has oil in it.

starfox86
09-05-05, 06:49 PM
ok, well, there is no vaccume hose on the transmission. i think that was only the 4T60 tranny. mines a 4T80..any other suggestions?..hmmmm..im stumped!...there is a hose that connects to the top of the transmission but it has a metal cap on it and it looks like it is just supposed to be there and not connected to anything. i dont really know what its for, maybe when i got the car, it was hooked up wrong?...i dont know.

Ranger
09-05-05, 10:01 PM
That hose with the cap is a breather. As the trans fluid expands and contracts with heat and cooling it allows the air inside to escape and be replaced much like the coolant in an overflow tank.