: Job & Car Opinion Question

Sandy
11-23-03, 11:01 AM
You have recently started a new job, that requires that you go to people's homes to give a presentation. At times you call on them where they work, or the business that they own.
Frequently they will see you arrive and watch you leave. Would you buy an American car (Lincoln, Mercury, Ford, Saturn, Chevrolet, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Buick, Cadillac) or a foreign car?

I ask this because my son's buddy's sister got a job selling cemetary plots and calls on people at home, in the evening and sometimes at work. She just lost an entire family who was going to buy 14 plots at $4,000 each = Total $56,000 sale (she's on 7% commission or $3,900.00); because she showed up in her Jetta (VW) and the decession-maker lost his Dad in Pearl Harbor, and he told her that he was not going to support someone who spends their money on Japanese products.

Do you think that if someone calls on people, such as this, that they should drive American? Seems prudent to me, after this.

elwesso
11-23-03, 11:27 AM
Well a Jetta is German...... :D

I dont think that is right..... That was a long time ago....

If you base decisions on what people drive, then somethings not right......

back
11-23-03, 01:40 PM
I showed up for a job in a buds 71 caddy hearse, i didnt get the job. but thank god for self-emplyment!
im gone.

BUILDINGCTSAMG
11-23-03, 01:50 PM
The girl should of smacked the guy for thinking a VOLKSWAGON was Japanese, listen you will find ignorance everywhere, tom she may lose money because the father wont deal with a black person or a women, you have to live your own life.

Sandy
11-23-03, 02:04 PM
I don't know any more of the details, but I'd assume that the guy didn't know what the car was, other than little and an import of some kind, and assumed it to be Japanese. She was probably too dumbfounded to speak & offer any explanation, and if she did, he probably would have said, "That's Worse" or "same S_ _ t " ~
Anyhow......it got me thinking, that maybe if you do call on people and there are people out there like this, maybe you'd be better off driving American..... :rolleyes2:
Sorta like if you go to buy new carpet, the salesman's gonna be wearing a suit & tie. But, if you like his merchandise & the price is right would you STILL buy it if he was wearing jeans & a T-Shirt - or would the lack of a suit.....stop you cold???

elwesso
11-23-03, 02:35 PM
Im not sure..... I dont think you should base decisions on that sort of thing.....

However, I would be suspect if a carpet salesman (for example) didnt have the stuff he was selling in his home!! If the product is good but the salesman isnt using it, then thats a little fishy...... Kinda like a cadillac salesman driving an infiniti......

Elvis
11-23-03, 07:23 PM
That's about the stupidest thing I've ever heard. The VW logo is HUGE. How some dork could possibly go off on it being Japanese is beyond me.

Reading between the lines, I don't think that the buyer really had $56,000 and he was looking for an excuse to bail out on the deal. In fact, I can't believe that ANYBODY that stupid has $56,000 to blow on cemetery plots.

catbert
11-23-03, 07:47 PM
Lot's of folks think American jobs are worth buying American products as much as possible. (I'm one of them)

I have heard comments about salespeople driving foreign cars. I have a friend in real estate that drives American just to not take the chance.

When your'e on commission you can't afford to drive anyone away. American may be the safe way - right or wrong.

Ralph
11-23-03, 08:35 PM
Talk about a 50 year old grudge! Someone in my family is in a similar situation. She travels to farms, etc. to write articles for the newspaper. When her family bought a BMW, she thought it would be too pretencious, or too fancy. A lot of these farmers are poor. Well, so far no one said anything, they probably don't even know what a BMW is. My dad didn't, and only buys American.

c5 rv
11-23-03, 08:46 PM
She may not like it, but many people will have a negative opinion of her if she doesn't drive American. Salespersons learn to give themselves every possible advantage and avoid disadvantages. What would she rather do: drive a VW on sales calls or drive any vehicle she wants in her leisure time?

kcnewell
11-23-03, 08:59 PM
If you come to my house driving an import and trying to sell me something....You'll get the bums rush. If you don't support American companies....I don't support you!

Elvis
11-23-03, 09:34 PM
When my father was a travelling salesman, he always bought Oldsmobile 98s. My grandfather did, too. They believed that their clientele would be offended if their salesman rolled up in a Cadillac.

It was a status thing--you didn't want to over-step your bounds with a Caddy, but you didn't want to be seen driving a piece of crap, either.

Later in their careers, after they were promoted to sales management and not travelling as much, they finally bought their first Caddys.

Brett
11-23-03, 10:02 PM
I choose carefully between my car and my wifes when I meet people at their homes. Some like the flash, some would be offended. The trick is learning who is who.

elwesso
11-23-03, 10:56 PM
Yeah..... but I wouldnt see who would be offended by having a nice car.....

Elvis
11-23-03, 11:16 PM
You'd be surprised, Wes. Probably more people are offended than not.

Brett
11-23-03, 11:35 PM
Certain people feel that if you are driving a nice car you are gonna rip them off. For the most part people I work with fell that it shows that I know what Im doing. But you do have to be careful. A customer gave me a hard time about my 4 week old car last week. My reply to him was that it was several years old, but I just washed it all the time. He seemed to believe me.