: Regular gas vice Premium

jdana29
09-04-05, 04:49 PM
How many of you have switched to regular gas as price hit's $3.00 a gal? I switched 3 tanks ago. I have seen no diffrence in performance; in fact, my MPG has increased 1.5 MPG. I hear no knocking of any sort, on hills, etc. Am I alone on this one?

91 Coupe---23000 miles :thumbsup:

slow35th
09-04-05, 04:57 PM
Edit: Nevermind

urbanski
09-04-05, 05:19 PM
lol @ slow
i know what you wanted to say...

there is a low octane table in the stock tune, which is why you don't knock. But you've lost performance. I should ask my neighbor if his prius is still for sale ;)

Vrocks
09-04-05, 09:50 PM
I put 87 in for the first time last week, I used only 93 before that. It definitely makes a pinging noise, I can hear it clearly when the windows are down. I'm not sure if saving $270 per year is worth it (I fill up about once per week, so 17*52*.30 = $265).

DILLIGAF
09-04-05, 09:59 PM
I had to put in 87 for the first time this weekend.Bad move,pinged like crazy,had to keep it in a lower gear and use more rpms to stop it.When I was at a third of a tank refilled with 93 and added some octane boost.Then the maggie was whineing.

slow35th
09-04-05, 10:12 PM
I had to put in 87 for the first time this weekend.Bad move,pinged like crazy,had to keep it in a lower gear and use more rpms to stop it.When I was at a third of a tank refilled with 93 and added some octane boost.Then the maggie was whineing.

If you had detonation with a supercharged motor you have caused damage.

DILLIGAF
09-04-05, 10:31 PM
It only pinged a few times when the motor would lug.I know this condition can damage a s/c motor,therefore I did everything in my power to not make it do this.2 dyno pulls the next day,motor is more than fine.

Dave's V
09-04-05, 10:45 PM
In Utah we only have 85, 87 and 91. I would never put 85 in any of my cars. The difference between 87 and 91 is around a dime per gallon which definitely makes it not worth it.

Even if it was 20 cents a gallon difference here I still would not do it. For a normal driver, you are only spending $15 more a month if you fill up your tank 5 times a month. That is cheaper than onstar or almost as cheap as XM. I bought a performance car for a reason. I'm not going to limit my power by filling up with cheaper gas. Having mods and using 87 is even more questionable IMO. The mods probably need the higher octane and why spend $$$ to get more power when you are losing power to save $$$.

We have some pretty good mountain grades here in Utah also and at high altitude. I prefer not to risk my motor. The motor is tough enough but would probably go bad a lot sooner than if you use premium. Probably when the warranty expires.

I would never drive a prius. I value my safety more than saving a few dollars at the pump.

benh
09-05-05, 05:16 PM
I put 87 in the other day also . . . it knocked pretty badly. Topped it off (4 gallons) today with 93, seems to have made a difference. So much for trying to same a few bucks....won't do it again.

09-05-05, 07:16 PM
I had put in 87 by mistake when the car was pretty new. I don't recall any pinning...but I clearly recall thinking that the car had suddenly turned into a dog. It took me a while to mentally think it through to the fuel purchase; as soon as I put in some Amoco Ultimate, we were back in business.

Doug