Cadillac Owners Forum banner

When is enough ...... Enough?

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  AZKlaus 
#1 ·
Greetings Everyone,
So I just received a laundry list of repairs needed for my 07' ESV. Let's see, there are new shocks all the way around, new differential needed, new tire sensors (4), backup sensors are malfunctioning, rear bumper needs painting and I'm still getting the fantom "Service Stabilitrac" message that no one can give me a direct solution. Now, I just had the rear main seal fixed and purchased new tires, but I currently have 113k miles and owe around $16k. Should I just cut my losses now and chunk it? I know that it's kind of a weird question to ask, but so far, none of you have steered me wrong in past and I kind of think of you all as a big group of wise cousins. Cheesy, but true. So what do you think?

#2 ·
Trucks are going to need shocks by the time they are 7 years old or reach 100k miles, usually sooner. The diffs will last for 100k to 200k with regular gear oil changes, we have several customers we have serviced since new with well over 100k miles, and a few over 200k, the tires sensors have a battery life of 4-6 years, some will go 8-10 years, this is all tire pressure sensors not just GM. Not sure about your other problems. This goes for any higher price car/truck, as they get older they can be real money pits depending on how they were taken care of thru the years, you really have to know what you are getting into or they can break you

#3 ·
Shocks and the tire pressure sensors are completely normal. Google "arnott shocks" and grab some sensors off eBay or rockauto. As for the differential, get it repaired by a shop, and do not go to a dealership unless you want to pay a lot more money. Does your truck have any codes? Get it scanned. If you're complaining about all of this, what are you doing in a $80-90K truck?

#5 ·
Yea buying a used car, especially a luxury car will normally come with a lot if maintenance. That's why I bought mine new with warranty. And if it weren't for my wife not wanting me to spend on another car, i would have purchased another one already. I bought the extended warranty for my car, and my wife's car. When the warranty is up. So will my ownership.... I work 14 hours a day, so taking time off Bc of car issues isn't an option for me. But if/when I do it again, I'm going to buy a cpo Porsche or Mercedes 1-2 years old with less than 15k miles and purchase the extended warranty. My esky taught me that I'm going to take too big of a hit buying brand new on something over 50k. So new plan is under 50k, buy it new, over, buy it cpo less than 2 full years old.

#9 ·
My 3-year warranty through my credit union was $2,800. The good news is that by taking out a loan on mine and paying 3 times the monthly payment, I'll have it paid off in 18 months AND have the warranty.

All it takes is one transmission rebuild or (God forbid) an engine bearing going bad (which they're known to do) and you just blew through your $2,800 times 2 or 3. Glad I did mine, especially on a truck where a front bearing at the dealership is $1,000 and I just had to do two of them. Even eBay bearings and Firestone doing the labor you're looking at $300. This truck is expensive, I'll take insurance for it in the form of a warranty on a 3-5 year old truck every day of the week.

YMMV.

#11 ·
Never understood why these are looked at as a "luxury" vehicle when it comes to mechanical maintenance when all it is is a dressed up silverado... yes you should have an expectation of mechanical reliability and yes a full sized truck is going to need some maintenance no matter what the brand is. Shocks? Tires? Hell even a "relatively" inexpensive transmission replacement? A newer model camry transmission costs roughly the same as the 6l80/90e that's in our trucks, however changing an longitudinal transmission is MUCH easier than a transverse so labor should at similar if not cheaper on our "trucks". Hell the avalanche/tahoe is less reliable due to the 5.3 and just as expensive to fix. Cars aren't cheap guys! And for those of you crossing over the Rhine for greener pastures... good luck! All vehicles require maintenance, yes even hondas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.