: A Steel Blue V?

euclidjr
09-04-05, 03:45 PM
So I'm looking for a 2005 V and end up poking around a local Caddy dealer's used car section where the have 3 2005 V's - all under 500 miles. One of them is "Steel Blue" - definitely a V - but the V didn't come in Steel Blue, right? It's NOT the stealth grey I have seen - it does look blue (I've linked the image below).

Salesman, who doesn't really know much about V's (surprise) claims it was a "special color" - thoughts?

Thanks,

Rich

http://www.sewellvillagecadillac.com/Used_car_pics/1G6DN56S550192065_1_full.jpg

benjet
09-04-05, 03:48 PM
Stealth Grey = a very very grey blue (a V color)

Silver Smoke = a nice dark grey on regular CTS

urbanski
09-04-05, 04:01 PM
looks SG to me

midwestern Values
09-04-05, 04:12 PM
My V is Stealth Gray and I would say that is definitely SG.

It is a color that looks different in different types of light. I was fortunate when I bought mine, the dealer had one of each color that was available, and they gray kept growing on me, until I became convinced that it was the one to get.

DeputyDog
09-04-05, 04:27 PM
I too own a Stealth Grey V. That is SG.

OldRoadDawg
09-04-05, 05:02 PM
Stealth Grey
Out of curiosity . . what is their 'asking' price for it?

euclidjr
09-04-05, 05:27 PM
Stealth Grey
Out of curiosity . . what is their 'asking' price for it?

Thanks all. It looked much more blue than other greys I've seen - must have been the lighting - and the dealer was calling it blue - go figure. Anyway, they want $43k for it. Which seems a little steep when the car is not certified (an extra $1k), not a program car (they say they bought it at auction), and has two dings that chipped the paint on the driver's side (very low on the door).

I did, by the way, just see it on eBay. They did not show or disclose the dings - so I sent an email to the seller about it. I'll be curious to see if they revise the listing.

They have two other V's in black - one is 43 and the other is 44 (chrome wheels).

Dave's V
09-04-05, 10:49 PM
After buying my car with 661 miles on it, a car with around 500 miles on it is not new IMO. Especially with door dings.

Sinister Angel
09-04-05, 11:05 PM
Yeah, I think I'd be slightly tempted to call them on that. Door dings and asking 43k? what do these things go for brand spanking new?

Dave's V
09-05-05, 02:22 AM
With employee pricing they were going for $47k in showroom condition with redline paint and a sunroof. That was a few months ago. With the 06s coming out in a month or two, I would say around $41k-43k is about right for a "new" very low mileage V.

talalhz
09-05-05, 06:04 AM
That is my color

Flyboy
09-05-05, 12:34 PM
Only problem with that car is that color tends to be a bit slower than Raven Black.
Go figure......I think the black has less wind resistance???????

euclidjr
09-06-05, 10:42 AM
Yeah, I think I'd be slightly tempted to call them on that. Door dings and asking 43k? what do these things go for brand spanking new?

I've been getting numbers for $500-1,000 under employee discount pricing. "Employee Price" w/sunroof is $47,347 - invoice is $48,793 (incl. gg tax). I'd just as soon get one without the sunroof - but that's not easy. There's an additional $1,000 rebate available now if you do SmartBuy (balloon-note purchase). So that brings you to the low 45,000's - I'd prefer to see it around 43,000 w/o sunroof - a little over 4,000 off invoice at this time of model year seems reasonable on a big ticket car -but Employee Pricing has made a bit of a mess of such things.

The market is always crazy though. When I checked out the V mentioned in this thread, the guy tried to tell me what a great deal it was for a $52,000 car. In reality, you are looking at a $44,000 used car (with the certification) vs. $45,347 for brand-spanking new. Although I like the 6/100 on a certified vehicle, I'd rather spend the $1,350 on new rather than used - but I bet someone will pay the $43,000 asking price.

Another V just went on eBay - it had a salvage title and went for just over $37,000 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4571740130&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT)!! I had asked the seller a few questions about the extent of the damage (which would have to be very serious to total out a new V) and never got a response. That was enough of a warning to keep me away from it altogether. Nonetheless, some people will buy anything once they have it in their heads that it is a good deal.

c4racer
09-06-05, 01:23 PM
Putnum in Northern CA would only go to $500 off employee pricing on a new SG V. That is what I paid a few weeks ago, and I tried pushing it further but they would not go for it. I had $600 on the GM card, so it netted to $46K on a car w/ roof. It was the only SG within 150 miles of here according to GM Buypower, so I didn't feel like trying at another dealer to get it lower - too much hassle. The car is a reasonable bargain at $46K anyway.

Scott

Kadonny
09-06-05, 01:38 PM
Salesman, who doesn't really know much about V's (surprise) claims it was a "special color" - thoughts?

http://www.sewellvillagecadillac.com/Used_car_pics/1G6DN56S550192065_1_full.jpg

Special color :thepan: :thepan: Dumb sales guys. You would think they would learn the cars they have to sell.

ctsvett
09-06-05, 02:15 PM
Special color :thepan: :thepan: Dumb sales guys. You would think they would learn the cars they have to sell.

Actually, smart move for a salesman... He almost had some guy believing it was a "special" color.. He probably could have charged more if euclidjr haddn't been spart enough to research it and ask us here.

This is why you can only take the salesman for what they are worth... They will do what they can to get the sale.... Research and the internet is a car buyers best friend.

Reed

euclidjr
09-06-05, 02:49 PM
Actually, smart move for a salesman... He almost had some guy believing it was a "special" color.. He probably could have charged more if euclidjr haddn't been smart enough to research it and ask us here.

This is why you can only take the salesman for what they are worth... They will do what they can to get the sale.... Research and the internet is a car buyers best friend.

Reed

Funny thing is that I did not buy the "special color" at all - my concern was that the car had suffered some type of serious paint damage and had been completely repainted. I was surprised that the color was the actual Stealth Grey though. I can't believe the used car section of a caddy dealer can't even get the paint color named right on one of their own brands. That said, the guy did not even know when the V had come out (he insisted that '05 was the first year) and did not - get this - know that the engine was an LS6 'vette engine.

I'm willing to give a -little- leeway to a guy selling used cars as they typically have a wider variety of cars to deal with - but sheesh - this guy is working at a Caddy dealership and trying to sell me a car for $43k. Part of it is that most of these guys don't look at this as a career anymore and they don't put in the work to know their product. Really, how hard is it to read forums like this and learn about the cars you are selling?

Thanks everyone for the input. I appreciate it.

CTS-VETTE 550HP
09-06-05, 03:06 PM
$37,000 for a salvage title is crazy he would be lucky if he got 25,000 for this salvage V.

Kadonny
09-06-05, 05:06 PM
Actually, smart move for a salesman... He almost had some guy believing it was a "special" color.. He probably could have charged more if euclidjr haddn't been spart enough to research it and ask us here.

Reed

I hear what you are saying Reed, but euclidjr did'nt buy it and I am a firm beleiver that lying will never get the salesman anywhere. That is assuming the guy even had a clue about what he was talking about and he really knew the truth. Again, he could just be clueless like most car salesmen :sneaky:

But bottom line. The SG color does indeed kick ass :gun2:

ctsvett
09-06-05, 05:21 PM
But bottom line. The SG color does indeed kick ass :gun2:

Ask luna and deputydog, I keep telling them everytime I see a SG car..The color looks way better in person than online adn the color looks good...

Reed

CaddyGeek
09-06-05, 06:01 PM
I have pictures of the salvage car before it was repaired. I'd post them, but since the auction's now over it would be pointless. The damage was very minor on the car... not what you would expect when you read salvage title. The seller's feedback rating was great, but the bids went up way higher than I would be willing to pay (with resale someday in mind) for a "salvage" car. They did, however, do a great job, cleaning up the car. It looked like it was stuck in one of the mud-slides.

euclidjr
09-07-05, 12:59 PM
. . . I am a firm believer that lying will never get the salesman anywhere. That is assuming the guy even had a clue about what he was talking about and he really knew the truth. Again, he could just be clueless like most car salesmen . . .

I think he really had no idea what he was selling. For example, after I told him that it was a 'vette engine, he remarked that most people get it in manual and he had not seen any V's in an automatic. Of course, this is because they don't make an automatic because they can't fit it in there with the LS6 - but he didn't know that until I told him. He had no reason to lie about it - he just didn't have a clue. Making shit up is just not the answer - if you don't know - just tell me. I don't expect a used car guy to know everything about every car on his lot and I appreciate it when someone tells me they don't know, but will find out.