: black coating on Nav buttons flaking off

Zeppelin
09-04-05, 10:04 AM
Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and what was the outcome? The upper right two control buttons on the navigation console on my '04 V are starting to have the black flake off to the white plastic underneath. They are the two buttons I use the most, as they are the 'next' and 'previous' selection buttons for the CD. I haven't contacted my dealer yet (plan to after the holiday). I would assume this is a warranty item, but wonder if they can just replace the buttons, or will the whole Nav console need replaced?

Staxxin
09-04-05, 10:23 AM
It is a warrantable item. A lot of folks in the forum have experienced the same problem. The dealer will replace the radio. I'm waiting for my part to arrive now.

Good Luck!!!

CVP33
09-04-05, 11:13 AM
My RAD/NAV is being replaced right now. Same issue, peeling buttons. You'd think they could just replace the buttons, but no.

Other items replaced due to failure:

3 complete rear differentials
2 half shafts
1 transmission
1 RAD/NAV
2 clutches
1 slave cylinder
2 sets of rear bushings
1 drive shaft
1 shifter

***this is on two V's by the way

CTSV05
09-04-05, 06:28 PM
Mine are peeling too, but I'm afraid to mention it as I'm sure somehow this will send a red flag to Cadillac thru my sm, and I'll lose the warranty for actually USING the buttons!

haveboost
09-04-05, 10:06 PM
Same here, the dealer replaced under warranty. But what a pain. They did something wrong where my competetive mode would not show on the screen. After 2 hours of programing. They resolved the issue. Another problem was puting back all the save info I had on the Navi, presets radio, xm, and equalizer settings.

I thought it would be like a cell phone. Where they extract all info and reload to new radio. NO WAY.

But at least no flaking buttons.

Zeppelin
09-04-05, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the replies. In the back of my mind I figured it would be the whole radio. :( Nothing saved yet, so thats good anyways.

Dave's V
09-04-05, 10:47 PM
Make sure they give you the upgraded Nav disk. If it says 2002 on it, it is the wrong one.

talalhz
09-05-05, 06:08 AM
My Nav bottons (top two on the right) to change traks, just turned half white.

Zeppelin
09-06-05, 06:57 AM
Mine are peeling too, but I'm afraid to mention it as I'm sure somehow this will send a red flag to Cadillac thru my sm, and I'll lose the warranty for actually USING the buttons!

Pretty sure we are dealing with the same dealership. Hope I don't get the hard time from the SM.

tedcmiller
09-06-05, 09:38 AM
I think almost everyone has the "peeling button" problem (me included), but it doesn't really bother me. Aside from the fact that the buttons are still readable and I know what they do, I certainly don't plan to go to the trouble of taking the car into the dealer to have the radio replaced and several other things screwed up at the same time.

Vdrenaline
09-06-05, 12:28 PM
They cannot just give you new buttons or a new faceplace for the radio, they have to replace the entire radio (covered by warranty). MAKE SURE TO REMOVE ALL YOUR CD's. Greenwich Cadillac replaced my radio and sent the old one back to GM WITH ALL MY CD's in it! They told me to call GM to get the discs back. Nice huh?
Also my radio doesn't sound as good as the original one. Are some of the radios not Bose? Couls I have gotten a regular one? I thought they were all Boses?

blown65
09-06-05, 03:16 PM
same here, buttons are going to sheet. :(

Damn typical GM Quality.

jspridge
09-06-05, 03:24 PM
My new radio (and the Homelink visor) are on order now. The dealer gave me no hassle with either, and I was just looking to have them repaired.

They probably didn't want to give me any grief after my windshield wiper motor failed in a driving rain storm. That motor was replaced as well.

Nice car!

turbojimmy
09-06-05, 03:34 PM
Damn typical GM Quality.

The question is: are the replacement radios any different? Or are you going to have the same problem a year from now? I suspect they're exactly the same.

Jim

Lynette Freeland
09-06-05, 04:11 PM
I just purchased a 2003 and love it, but like many of you the buttons have all peeled and now they are half white half black, there is 1,000 miles left on the original warranty and I'm wondering if I should have them replace this or if it will be to much trouble, any suggestions? Also I have noticed a popping noise when I turn my steering wheel anyone had a problem like this?

IVEverWicked
09-06-05, 06:44 PM
Replaced mine twice in the last month...

blown65
09-06-05, 06:48 PM
The question is: are the replacement radios any different? Or are you going to have the same problem a year from now? I suspect they're exactly the same.

Jim

Well hopefully different, but likely the same. LOL

Just a rash of bad luck with GM of late I swear. My 03 truck was solid, my 05 is a POS. At least for the most part my V has been good, cept the normal annoyances. Ebrake adj, sunroof freakout, window mtr failure (300 miles on car), POS local dealer put huge amounts of swirl marks buffing out scratches (ya, i was thrilled.)

Luckily we are good friends with the Chevy dealer, I just take it there now.

slow35th
09-06-05, 06:52 PM

Abusive Button Pushing :thepan:

Disclaimer: Joke stolen from CVP (I believe)

Zeppelin
09-06-05, 09:37 PM
Well, mine was due for the bushings this week, then coming home from Cedar Point yesterday I got a 'Service Stability System' screen, then the abs and tc lights came on. It went in this morning for the bushings, SSS screen, NAV buttons, aluminum trim falling off the rear door handle, rough idle, and a few other things. New NAV is ordered, and the rest should be done tomorrow. Jeff and Chad at Chesrown have been great so far, all covered by warranty. :)

CVP33
09-06-05, 09:44 PM
Abusive Button Pushing :thepan:

Disclaimer: Joke stolen from CVP (I believe)

You are correct Sir. I still smiled though. :lildevil:

jspridge
09-09-05, 05:48 PM
Quick update - the new radio is exactly the same as the old one (only without the peeling buttons - so far).

The new visor includes an updated Homelink transmitter, with some sort of voice memo recorder.

The new radio did not ship with a new nav disc. :banghead:

Joey'sVee
09-09-05, 09:37 PM
I took mine in twice for the knobs flaking. The first time they replaced the whole nav unit (I know cuzz I had to reprogram everything) the second time they did replace JUST THE KNOBS (I know cuzz I didn't have to program anything). Other guys on here have had just the buttons replaced too.

ctsvett
09-09-05, 10:26 PM
2 things...

1: the knobs the dealer can replace.
2: The buttons they cannot

Also, You got the voicememo because the dealer is moron and orderd you the wrong part (2003 cts visor).. it will work just fine (I think) but you get the extra voice memo that cadillac built into the nav system for later years.

Reed

Joey'sVee
09-09-05, 11:46 PM
Also, You got the voicememo because the dealer is moron and orderd you the wrong part (2003 cts visor).. it will work just fine (I think) but you get the extra voice memo that cadillac built into the nav system for later years.

Reed

Who are you taking to? Someone has an incorrect visor?:hmm:

ctsvett
09-09-05, 11:57 PM
with some sort of voice memo recorder.

Not the right one for the V.

Reed

cdog533
09-10-05, 02:24 AM
My plastic faceplate is flaking - around the buttons.. can this be replaced?

jspridge
09-10-05, 09:40 AM
Not the right one for the V.

Reed

That's OK. The point of me mentioning this is that the new Homelink unit is larger, and it appears to be fastened to the visor much better than the old one - meaning that it actually covers the edge of the vinyl, instead of just pushing up to the edge. As an added bonus, with the voice memo I can now leave a message for the dude in service to remember not to wash my car.

Zeppelin
09-10-05, 10:22 AM
Got the V back yesterday. Bushing upgrade, new NAV system (latest NAV disc is on order), and the stability system is good again. There was a module about 6" x 4" that controls the braking, etc. One of the plugs had corroded badly already. Very blue. They replaced the plug as well as the control module. Life is good again. :) Thanks again to Jeff and Chad at Chesrown. :thumbsup:

ajedwardsjr
07-08-06, 09:09 AM
Just had this same problem - mine had the black paint from the top right button flaking off. It did take a long time for the dealer to get the part in - don't know why - but it certainly wasn't a critical delay. The dealer was then very quick about replacing the unit - promised me they'd be done in three days and only took one day. Very happy with the service. Stupidly, I did leave a bunch of CDs in the changer. I got them back, but they were in the wrong slots. No big deal.
I'm not sure about the navigation disk. I should check that. I mean, I know there is one, but I'm not sure if it is the same one. I have a 2005, so, I wouldn't mind of course if they stuck a 2006 or 2007 navigation disk in there.