: Will High Gas Prices Mean Less Horsepower?

36CADDY
09-03-05, 12:40 PM
Gas prices are an all time high. They are supposed to keep climbing. Do you think they will scrap the BIG MOTOR rumored for 2007?? I hear the new M5 has 500HP! I was hoping we would stay ahead of that car. Will we still get the LS-7 or BLUEDEVIL motor? I pray they drop the Blue Devil motor in. I wonder when the spy shots will come out?

Art138
09-03-05, 12:47 PM
From a marketing standpoint, GM knows that anyone in the future buying cars in the LS-7 price range will pay the price at the pump. GM knows from the European experience that there will be market for high performance cars regarless of price at the fuel pump. Europe has had 4 dollar plus prices at the pump for years.

CVP33
09-03-05, 01:18 PM
I'm good until it gets over $5.00 a gallon. Until then, I'm driving in gallons per mile.

Dave's V
09-03-05, 01:34 PM
Big motors are not exactly inefficient. Compare the V's current motor to the RX8s or the Evos. They are almost 1/3rd the size but get the same or worse gas mileage (if you compare it to the LS2).

I don't see the LS7 being mass produced and be widely used like the LS2 is. I see them dropping it into certain vehicles and the V might be one of them. It also might be an upgraded motor for the V.

heavymetals
09-03-05, 01:58 PM
Why do you think there is a "gas guzzler" tax?:(

The funny thing is, like SUV's, mileage is not usually the deal breaker, but it is the first thing the owners complain about.:thepan:

Go figure!

blown65
09-03-05, 02:12 PM
Most ppl that buy vehicles like those (M5) could more than likely care less about the price of gas. They may hate it but it wont deture them from buying the vehicle. (Most cases at least.)

Dave's V
09-03-05, 02:35 PM

The funny thing is, like SUV's, mileage is not usually the deal breaker, but it is the first thing the owners complain about.:thepan:

Go figure!

There isn't a GGT with the LS2, which proves my point. The LS2 is more economical than rotary in the RX8 or the Evos 4 banger. The LS6 is just as economical.

The government needs to treat light trucks the same way they treat cars. I'm mostly concerned with the lack of pollution standards. When people have to pay $100+ per fill up for their light truck, they will dump them. Heck if they have a 40 gal tank like some older ones do, they are already there.

But as the price of gas goes up, EVERYTHING will go up. Unlike European countries, our country is gigantic and we don't have a good mass transit system. Until this country builds a reliable, cheap, efficient public transportation system, people will continue to drive their cars.

heavymetals
09-03-05, 03:15 PM
Those "pollution" standards are the first things to fix in getting the price of gas DOWN!

We don't need the vast # of different "blends".

It is the distribution costs involved with this FIASCO that is the easiest thing to "fix".

patentguy
09-03-05, 03:20 PM
How much is too much to pay in order for you to play with your toys? Cut a few corners to make sure you get the weekend V-cruises in.

odysseus
09-03-05, 04:16 PM
Even if gas prices went to $5/gal from say $2.50/gal. If one uses a tank (~15 gals) per week of gas, it's about $2,000/year increase. If one can afford a $50,000 toy they likely can afford the extra $2K/year for gas, or simply drive it a little less. For me, $2K/year extra for gas isn't going to stop me from driving . . . . V6, V8 or otherwise. One sail on my boat costs much more than that!

There are still a lot of Hummers, Escalades, Tahoes, F250s, etc. on the road where I live! I'd rather drive a V than a Suburban, any day. If you gotta pay through the teeth for gas, you might as well do it in style and smile while you're doing it!

MadMike
09-03-05, 04:48 PM
the main problem is our lovely government.......last memorial day(?) the 1 pipeline we had going to the west coast broke.....hmmm 1 pipeline for the thirstyest state?........now we have had a hurricane mess up New Orleans area A tragedy for sure.........and lo and behold.........convienient.........now the ONE refinery in the U.S. is not working........HMMMMMMMM.....whats next.......a tragic jello failure that shuts down another part of the ONE system that provides us with fuel? Sounds a little fishy to me.....being in the oilfield business.......

Luna.
09-03-05, 04:49 PM

Go figure!

The loophole with SUVs and such never ceases to amaze me....

I agree though---mileage isn't generally the deal-killer.

dqw1
09-03-05, 10:08 PM
we're being gouged. As long as we need our vehicles to do whatever, the easier it is for these ate-up third world oil producing b.s country's and oil companys to justify these artificially high gas prices. I could care less how much it cost to refine, trade and ship. the Bastards have us by the balls and we know it.:mad2:
urr, I have to fill up in the morning.:eek:

Dave's V
09-03-05, 10:48 PM
Even if gas prices went to $5/gal from say $2.50/gal. If one uses a tank (~15 gals) per week of gas, it's about $2,000/year increase. If one can afford a $50,000 toy they likely can afford the extra $2K/year for gas, or simply drive it a little less. For me, $2K/year extra for gas isn't going to stop me from driving . . . . V6, V8 or otherwise. One sail on my boat costs much more than that!

There are still a lot of Hummers, Escalades, Tahoes, F250s, etc. on the road where I live! I'd rather drive a V than a Suburban, any day. If you gotta pay through the teeth for gas, you might as well do it in style and smile while you're doing it!

$2k is still a lot of money, unless you are like Randy Moss. It isn't just the money you spend at the pump. Increase the price of gas by 50% in one year increases the cost of all goods. Heating bill comes to my mind first. I would be happy to pay extra at the pump if I knew it was going towards something good (like helping the Gulf Coast) but it'll only make the oil companies richer.

I almost laughed at watching Bush being pissed off when he went to Mobile, Alabama trying to push the blame somewhere else. What did he do when the hurricane was coming towards the Gulf Coast the whole weekend? Oh well, his buddy's pockets are heavier now.

davesdeville
09-04-05, 06:16 AM
I'm beginning to hope it will mean less HP. Gives me a better chance...

thebigjimsho
05-22-08, 01:30 PM
I'm beginning to hope it will mean less HP. Gives me a better chance...wussbag...

CTSV_510
05-22-08, 01:50 PM
TBJS, king of resurrection.

Civardi
05-22-08, 01:55 PM
I can only hope for a repeat of the 70s and people will dump their low MPG cars for cheap. I just read on CNN that some guy paid $7,300 for a used Geo Metro. :wtf:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayoflife/05/20/geo.metro/index.html?iref=newssearch

Luna.
05-22-08, 02:37 PM
I can only hope for a repeat of the 70s and people will dump their low MPG cars for cheap. I just read on CNN that some guy paid $7,300 for a used Geo Metro. :wtf:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayoflife/05/20/geo.metro/index.html?iref=newssearch

Where do these people come from? :suspect::bigroll:

DRKSIDE
05-22-08, 10:46 PM
Sell my car, hell no. Buy a beater that gets 10mpg more? Maybe if we get above $6/gal.

Driving 25000 miles/yr at 18 mpg (no fun) and $3.999 per gallon (current price for 93 octane in my area) costs aprox. $5554.17 per yr or $462.85 per month. If I were getting 28 mpg that would be $297.54 per month. A savings of $165.31 if I flat QUIT driving the V and only drive the more fuel efficient car.

A one $1/gallon increase in fuel cost makes a difference of $115.74 per month.

A two $2/gallon increase in fuel cost makes a difference of $231.48 per month.

So if the price of premium fuel goes to $5.999 per gallon, as it already is in most countries, then I am looking at about $450 per month extra fuel costs with my two gas hogs.

Buying a used fuel friendly car starts to make sense when you get over a certain amount. Different for everyone's budget of course.

I am not about to do anything drastic but...They had me at "$hell.000"!

DRKSIDE
05-23-08, 03:56 PM
Real question is probably "How long will I have to drive a more fuel efficient car to make it pay for itself?"

Using the above example of a car that averages 28 mpg as opposed to my 18 mpg average, an $8000 car would take me 4.03 years just to break even!

Again, only holds true if I don't drive the V for that same period and only applies if I paid cash for the car and didn't have any finance charges. With me driving both cars equally the payoff might as well never happen!

I have never owned ANY car more than 7 years!

Civardi
05-23-08, 04:45 PM
Real question is probably "How long will I have to drive a more fuel efficient car to make it pay for itself?"

Using the above example of a car that averages 28 mpg as opposed to my 18 mpg average, an $8000 car would take me 4.03 years just to break even!

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/living/2008/05/23/lawrence.suv.sales.cnn

Cheap SUVs are already happening. But KBB rep proves your point.
:highfive:

JimmyH
05-23-08, 04:53 PM
http://cooleywire.com/jimmyh/pics/cars/250.jpg

70 mpg, low 15s 1/4mi

tdyguy2k
05-23-08, 04:56 PM
Smart car...nuff said!

JimmyH
05-23-08, 05:03 PM
2 seater+40mpg+no room+questionable credibility=smartfor2

4 seater+36mpg+real trunk+proven record=Civic DX for just $3k more (dealer markup notwithstanding)

SuperV_Rob
05-23-08, 09:09 PM
2 seater+40mpg+no room+questionable credibility=smartfor2

4 seater+36mpg+real trunk+proven record=Civic DX for just $3k more (dealer markup notwithstanding)

My Smartfor2 will be here in November, I don't have room in my garage for a Civic DX :)

12race
05-23-08, 09:43 PM
My overall average city/hwy currently 15.9, on a relatively flat hwy I get 26 mpg. Not bad for a car putting 400hp/400tq to the wheels.

Gas prices suck, but WTF...... my other vehicle (Excursion w/powerstroke diesel) is feeling it more than the V.

today pulled up to the pump to top off Excursion (40 gals @ 4.64/gl) pulling my boat that took 60 gals of prem at 4.19/gl. :crying2:

Makes the V look real good.

DRKSIDE
05-24-08, 01:09 AM
My overall average city/hwy currently 15.9, on a relatively flat hwy I get 26 mpg. Not bad for a car putting 400hp/400tq to the wheels.

Gas prices suck, but WTF...... my other vehicle (Excursion w/powerstroke diesel) is feeling it more than the V.

today pulled up to the pump to top off Excursion (40 gals @ 4.64/gl) pulling my boat that took 60 gals of prem at 4.19/gl. :crying2:

Makes the V look real good.

:ill: It is like shooting yourself in the leg to make yourself forget about a broken arm!

JimmyMack
05-24-08, 02:15 AM
Muscle cars like our V's are in their last days. This fuel crisis is not like the one in the 70's. This one is worldwide and is here to stay. Supply and capacity is growing much slower than world demand. It's not about just price anymore. Eventually driving a gas guzzler will be socially unacceptable (like smoking) and environmentally irresponsible. We are witnessing the end of the petrol age. Really. The next muscle cars will be electric, or solar, or some other undiscovered tech, but it won't be gas powered V8's. Detroit is having enough problems building vehicles that people want to buy without trying to overcome a mpg deficit that building these cars produce. Next stop for our cars are the museum.

Jon
05-24-08, 01:20 PM
http://jalopnik.com/assets/resources/2008/05/russianfueleconomy.jpg

Civardi
05-24-08, 01:45 PM
Pulled in to get gas this morning behind a C6 Vette at Chevron. He knew what a V was and asked what I got for gas mileage. My reply was "with cars like ours do we really worry about that?" in a joking manner. We had a good laugh sharing that we get in the low teens depending on how we drive. In the next aisle, a guy in a Prius just shook his head in disgust.

Jon
05-24-08, 01:54 PM
Pulled in to get gas this morning behind a C6 Vette at Chevron. He knew what a V was and asked what I got for gas mileage. My reply was "with cars like ours do we really worry about that?" in a joking manner. We had a good laugh sharing that we get in the low teens depending on how we drive. In the next aisle, a guy in a Prius just shook his head in disgust.
My dad's got a C6 and he gets way better gas mileage than me. We drove to the track and he started out with an average of 22mpg. When we were done he was at 19. That's better than I get on the road.

ahahnu
05-24-08, 05:59 PM
I'm good until it gets over $5.00 a gallon. Until then, I'm driving in gallons per mile.

This guy..... It's a shame that's it's more then a reality.

My dad's got a C6 and he gets way better gas mileage than me. We drove to the track and he started out with an average of 22mpg. When we were done he was at 19. That's better than I get on the road.

My girlfriends dad has a C5 and tell me all the time (he repeats himself alot lol) about how good the Vette is once you pop it in 6th cruising down the highway. He also refuses to believe how fast the V is. Everytime he gets in it he says, "Hey this thing is quick. Almost as fast as the Vette." He knows what motor it is but treats it like a 3.6 regular CTS.

Jon
05-24-08, 07:41 PM
This guy..... It's a shame that's it's more then a reality.

My girlfriends dad has a C5 and tell me all the time (he repeats himself alot lol) about how good the Vette is once you pop it in 6th cruising down the highway. He also refuses to believe how fast the V is. Everytime he gets in it he says, "Hey this thing is quick. Almost as fast as the Vette." He knows what motor it is but treats it like a 3.6 regular CTS.
Take him to the track. :D I run T1Rs and I'm faster than my dad's C6 with R888s.

CTSV_510
05-24-08, 09:00 PM
Take him to the track. :D I run T1Rs and I'm faster than my dad's C6 with R888s.

Driver mod, eh?

ahahnu
05-24-08, 11:56 PM
Take him to the track. I run T1Rs and I'm faster than my dad's C6 with R888s

I'll let him think what ever he wants. As long as me and wifey stay together ( I swear this isn't the reason) she's inheriting a '57 and '32 chevy's all original, not really running, but they WILL be mine! Enter evil laugh.....

thebigjimsho
05-26-08, 10:35 PM
Took it easy to and from Lake Winnepesaukee this weekend. Add a trip from Alton to Laconia, and back, and a little fun on some back roads and I still got 23mpg this weekend. Most cars wouldn't be able to get 30mpg driving where I did and in the manner I did during part of that time. That's pretty admirable in my book.

And if I needed to get ultra-conservative, I'm sure I could get that up to 27-28mpg...

Albertan
05-27-08, 01:40 AM
Just got back from Vegas in the V. 3 people plus luggage, driving 76.6mph, I got 23.1, 75.1 mph I got 24.0 and today through mountain passes averaged21.8 at 73.7 mph. That is as good as I ever got on my 1973 Vega (my "other" V)!
I doubt that many cars with this level of performance would do as well.
For comparison, I just checked the mileage from my CTS driving from Los Angeles home to Calgary a couple of years ago. Mileage 25 to 26 per gallon.
So the extra 150 hp costs me 2 to 3.2 mpg on the highway.
Just compared both cars with city driving. I'm getting about 15 and my wife with the CTS is getting maybe 2-3 better.
I think that is a small price to pay for what we get.