: Those With Rearend Problems.....Please Participate....Poll

CTSV05
09-02-05, 12:38 PM
I really need your help, as I'm still not going to drop my beef with Cadillac, so if you would answer the poll, I would really appreciate it.

I'm trying to determine how many of these rear diffs are bad, or been replaced.

So if yours was replaced, please answer. Thanx.

jspridge
09-02-05, 12:40 PM
Mine was replaced at 7K miles. It will need to be replaced again soon.

CTSV05
09-02-05, 12:42 PM
Hey J, where you been??!!

Drift-caddy
09-02-05, 12:45 PM
I really need your help, as I'm still not going to drop my beef with Cadillac, so if you would answer the poll, I would really appreciate it.

I'm trying to determine how many of these rear diffs are bad, or been replaced.

So if yours was replaced, please answer. Thanx.

Not to jump topic here, but why dont you pick up your car and put it back to stock, then see if the noise will change in the rear. then take it back to the dealer. oh and btw:shhh: :shhh:

Florian
09-02-05, 12:48 PM
Doug,

Im going in today to see if I need diff #3...

F

PneuBird
09-02-05, 12:48 PM
Replaced mine at 7K. I had a ton of metal in the lube when we changed it for the first time. Second lube change at 14K and normal wear on the new diff. It did whine on me twice though and I have been crossing my fingers since October thinking parts are gonna fly when I "Beat the Cubes!!!" :banghead:

Ryan's '05-V
09-02-05, 02:20 PM
Before I vote I don't know if you want to try to clarify this a little more or not. Mine was replaced at 9600 miles and it was making a lot of clunking noises. I could still drive it but I had no whine to it. I was going to say breakage since my tech said it was shot and needed to be replaced.

jspridge
09-02-05, 02:36 PM
Hey J, where you been??!!

Too much travel recently - Europe, NY, Irvine. Not enough time to drive the car.

Sorry to hear about your issues with Chesrown. I hope they make it right. If not, I know a dealer in St. Marys that should be able to help you. I happen to be related to an influential person there.

BTW - Did you think any more about who could cut new grooves in the shocks? I'm ready to lower my car wildwhl style, but I just need to figure out that part of the deal.

Joey'sVee
09-02-05, 02:53 PM
mine was replaced at 5K miles

Chuck_V
09-02-05, 03:06 PM
Mine started howling like a banshee at 8,000 miles and I fought for months before I finally found a dealer that would replace the damn thing and not accuse me of abuse on a car that never had the tires broke loose except for maybe when it was in their hands.

DeputyDog
09-02-05, 04:04 PM
The rear end started whining around 2400 miles and got worse. Dealer replaced the rear end at 2700 miles. They were great about it. On the service sheet they noted the whine and ordered a new one. No hassles.

Dave's V
09-02-05, 04:36 PM
Mine was replaced with only 1,700 miles for loud howling. I bought the car with 661 miles on it so the dealer had to suck it up after they told me I didn't break it in correctly.

CTSV05
09-02-05, 06:34 PM
Thanx Guys, wow, its sad to see such a varience in dealer attitude, considering we are supposed to be dealing with the top level of GM.

Moore, I'm going to have the currently available diff put in next week, and the GM "hop-fix" as well, then when I get a couple thousand miles out of it, I don't want to hear any whining, no pun intended!!!LOL!!!

Ryan, I would say you're option #2, as you drove your car in.

What I'm looking for is a track record to argue my case with Cadillac, as their line is my kit broke my rearend, according to what Chesrown's SM told them, and my contention is they have too much failure on the part in question to blame my kit without the benefit of someone other than the SM making that determination.

CVP33
09-02-05, 07:40 PM
I know they're really cracking down on aftermarket parts. My ASM won't allow the dealer to install my B&M shifter. I mean my tranny is out of the V right now sitting on the shop floor. Installing the shifter would be pie. ASM say no. My warranty is in jeopardy is what I was told. It never ends.

ace996
09-02-05, 08:34 PM
Differential and right halfshaft replaced at 4700 miles for "major clanking" going over bumps. I don't dragrace, streetrace, smoke tires, ect. Sad that I feel I can't drive my car like I did a Toyota. Damn them....

heavymetals
09-02-05, 09:18 PM
All these horror stories!:bonkers:

Mine was replaced at 7k mi. for a leak (crack in casting)

Didn't whine or howl.

Calif. is a great state for a consumer, plus my dealer/service is the best I have ever delt with.:thumbsup:

I feel sorry for you guys.

willsctsv
09-02-05, 11:56 PM
Howled at 3K, and replaced by dealer, no questions asked. The V already had the BMR AWK, pinion support, intake and exhaust.
New rear started whining with only 500 miles. I now have 10K on the car that gives the new rear 6500 miles and it still whines and I get a slight drip.The whine is the same as it was at 500 miles. It's not howling though. Unfortunate, but I'll live with a few spots in the driveway for now.
Drip mark the size of a dime.

CTSV05
09-03-05, 12:19 AM
Damn!!!

Well, I refuse to drive this car like its a friggin electric car, damnit!!

We paid very nice money for the priviledge of driving a sports sedan!!!!!

GNSCOTT
09-03-05, 12:27 AM
mine just snapped and rolled 10 feet. Clean break, no noise.

rgd
09-03-05, 08:33 AM
I'm pretty sure mine is going to go sometime late fall or early winter, it is starting to make a little wine. :rolleyes: Gee I hope there is a stronger diff out by then.

Avejoe
09-03-05, 08:50 AM
Just replaced mine at 13k along with the clutch

CTSV05
09-03-05, 10:07 AM
I'm pretty sure mine is going to go sometime late fall or early winter, it is starting to make a little wine. :rolleyes: Gee I hope there is a stronger diff out by then.

The '06 diff is coming out around October, well the part# anyway.

Blk Cts V
09-03-05, 11:04 AM
In 30k miles i've had 6 different whining rearends.

HDMLNIUM
09-03-05, 11:17 AM
At 4800 miles my diff was replaced for a cracked case, it was leaking pretty good. BMR pinion support, and wheel hop kit was removed and replaced with the GM bushings.. Just incase that was "part" of the problem.. We will see how this diff holds up.. So far I haven't had it over 4000 rpm's in the 400 miles it has since being replaced. It is tough to be so easy though....

Bill

CVP33
09-03-05, 01:17 PM
The only flaw in this poll is that I can only vote once. I really need to vote 4 times. Once for each failure.

CTSV05
09-03-05, 04:24 PM
In 30k miles i've had 6 different whining rearends.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

CTSV05
09-03-05, 04:25 PM
The only flaw in this poll is that I can only vote once. I really need to vote 4 times. Once for each failure.

CVP, I will be adding up any that will elaborate on more than one, as I'm looking for #s to use in my argument.

Thanx!

Dreamin
09-03-05, 10:29 PM
9 people with Failed Diff's... out of 186 V owners on this site... that's a failure rate of less than 5% :hmm: I thought it would be MUCH higher??

Dennisscars
09-04-05, 12:43 AM
Any correlation with failures with/without antihop kit(s), I’m starting to worry about my pinion support…

heavymetals
09-04-05, 01:32 AM
9 people with Failed Diff's... out of 186 V owners on this site... that's a failure rate of less than 5% :hmm: I thought it would be MUCH higher??

31 out of 186 had the diffs replaced and some more then once.

Almost 20%

That is way past catastrophic.

Then again, that only represents the ones on this forum.

CTSV05
09-04-05, 02:01 AM
Yes, keep in mind that a certain portion are on their 2nd and 3rd diffs.

Each person can vote only once.

It looks like a number closer to 45 right now.

Terrible I think.

Dreamin
09-04-05, 03:28 AM
CTSV05... I thought you were trying to distinguish between diffs "blowing up/breaking" vs. diffs replaced for whine...2 completely separate issues (IMHO).

If you're just looking for diff replacement stat's... there is looks of data on that:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38807
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49513
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37043
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47783
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37142
And the sticky: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16314

CTSV05
09-04-05, 09:50 AM
Dreamin, actually, what I'm looking for is ammunition to use in my fight with Cadillac and their gustapo tactics blaming the owners of the V from the factory weak diffs.

I am going at this from the angle there are too many other failed diffs, either way, that they can not blame my kit on our raerend failure without at least someone examining it aside from a service mamnger with zero engineering qualifications.

CTSV05
09-06-05, 01:18 AM
bump

heavymetals
09-06-05, 02:47 AM
CTS, your gripe would be that due to an underspeced part, the failure would have happened anyway, and the only thing your kit did (if anything) was to accelerate the failure.

How many people using your kit experienced failures?

CTSV05
09-06-05, 09:50 AM
Zero!!!

And my kit was on for over 10K mi., and believe me, when it broke was not the first time I DROVE the car!! LOL!!

Not sure if you saw the pics, but the case split BEHIND the factory mount.

heavymetals
09-06-05, 12:48 PM
I think it would be better for your arguement if people experienced failures with your kit installed also.

You being the only one does not bode well with a "modified" rear end.

Don't get me wrong, I think (know) the rear end (difff) is a known weak/failure point.

Geno
09-06-05, 04:56 PM
OK I've only been involved with high performance cars for 35 years. The anecdotal evidence based on the discussion on this board is the rear diff has several issues.

I can't think of another hi-po make of car that has had reoccurring problems with exploding rear ends in all the time I've driven. The rate of failure for a rear end should be about as frequent as tires or motors blowing. It just doesn't happen very often, regardless of mods.:banghead:
I have a good idea how GM plans to respond to all this based on the recent WEB conference and it doesn't look too good for the home team, though we should be thankful for the extra options.:cool:

CTSV05
09-06-05, 07:17 PM
"Sigh"

Heavy,
I understand, but, the fact is one of my kits is on a car with a blower, now if the kit were the cause, I would think it would show up there. Besides, there are only 17 kits including then 2 that are in transit.

Bill_B
09-07-05, 05:31 PM
Mine started to whine somewhere around 8000 miles, but my dealer refuses to replace it. I don't abuse the car, and the diff is just noisy with 21000 miles on it now. I'm going to try a different dealer, but I'm not going to press my luck until the new P/N comes out.

What is the feeling that the new P/N ring and pinion will be set up any better than the current ones?

spdracer77
09-07-05, 07:41 PM
I just bought my 04 CTS-V with 7700 miles. I have a appointment at the dealer tomorrow to have the GM wheel hop kit installed. I never thought a car can have so many rear end problems. I use to have a 96 chevy impala SS with over 700 horse power and I never had a problem with the rear end. Its a good thing I got the 6 years 100,000 mile warranty. The dealer will be seeing alot of me. Hopefully GM will come out with a better solution for the 04/05 CTS-V rearend issues.

Ryan's '05-V
09-07-05, 10:31 PM
My first one was replaced 3000 miles ago and my second is leaking fluid now. I will see how long it takes to break. I hope it can make it a month or so until the new part # comes out.

Ryan's '05-V
09-07-05, 10:31 PM

CTSV05
09-08-05, 01:06 AM
Sad, just sad........

CTSV05
09-13-05, 09:38 AM
Thanx all who voted.

Looks like from what I see about 55 diffs replaced with the multiples stated, so this will help me.

CTSVONFIRE
09-13-05, 12:40 PM
Mine made it to 21K. I think my pinion brace did the damage for me.

keeksv
09-13-05, 01:18 PM
Stock part (pinion support)?

ctsvett
09-13-05, 03:01 PM
if their is a whine in your rear end, try some hemeroid (SP?) cream..

sorry, coulddt resist..

Reed

CTSV05
09-13-05, 06:28 PM
Reed, wouldn't that be more for a squeak????

Doc170
09-18-05, 10:59 AM
My Rear was repaired last week with only just over 1,000 miles, all I did was tell the dealer I heard a low whine in 6th gear. The mechanic an I took a ride with me driving,he heard the low whine and ordered the part. One week to the day it was replaced.

Here is the part number is it an improved part number or the same as the one before?Part Number 10368780, Please reply with an answer. Thank you, Jim

CVP33
09-18-05, 11:10 AM
My Rear was repaired last week with only just over 1,000 miles, all I did was tell the dealer I heard a low whine in 6th gear. The mechanic an I took a ride with me driving,he heard the low whine and ordered the part. One week to the day it was replaced.

Here is the part number is it an improved part number or the same as the one before?Part Number 10368780, Please reply with an answer. Thank you, Jim

Old part number. Same as my first 4.

Doc170
09-18-05, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the info,now I`m really glad I got GM to extend the rear drive parts for 7 years or 100,000 miles. Somewhere along,they may have an improved rear.

Thanks again, Jim

CTSV05
09-18-05, 04:26 PM
Doc,

Read my newest thread!!! Looks like good news.